Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Centurion
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Was put in this hotel by firm I was visiting. They had wanted to put me in the Protea, Midrand but when that was not available they put me in this hotel instead.

The first room they put me in the safe did not work. I complained and they moved me to another room without any fuss. Unfortunately I had already unpacked before I found out the safe did not work so lost quite a lot of time.

Downsides - no Gym.

Upsides - close to the Mall. The food in the restaurant was of a good standard.

After the time lost moving room I had no choice but to eat in the hotel restaurant first night. I need not have worried - the food was of a good standard and a reasonable selection.

Enjoyed a drink at the bar and got chatting to another businessman there on his own.

Biggest downside was the traffic to Midrand. To be honest personally I would have preferred a cheaper guesthouse and to have been closer to work.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GrahamN
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear GrahamN

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor after your recent visit to Protea Hotel Centurion.

It is always refreshing to receive feedback from our GUESTS as we strive to meet and exceed their expectations.

I am pleased to hear that my Food and Beverage STAFF provided food of good quality and value. Our trendy bar area is certainly the ideal place to enjoy a drink with a friend or colleague after a long day. I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts to provide the best GUEST service.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to the safe that was not working; causing a room move and a delay on your schedule. I can assure you that my maintenance TEAM have attended to and resolved the issue.

Although we do not have a gym on site, we offer all GUESTS a Virgin Active gym voucher that can be purchased at reception. The gym is 3km away and we also provide a complimentary shuttle.

Your feedback has provided us with some great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days while on business.
Was promissed a lake facing room but mine only overlooked the highway.
The room was not bad large, well decorated and nicely stocked bathroom.
Staff seemed to prefer to talk to each other, than be attentive to customers needs.
Food was OK. Small bar area not bad for the evening.
Would say it was suitable for a short business stay but nothing else.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank welwyn_steve
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear welwyn_steve

Thank you for providing us with feedback and for posting it on TripAdvisor.

It is our goal to meet and exceed GUEST expectations and it is concerning to me that your experience does not resemble this.

There is no excuse for the below par service that you received and this does not reflect our aim of providing the best GUEST service; whether travelling on business or leisure. We welcome all our GUESTS into the Protea Hotels family and the environment should be welcoming and homely. I will be looking into all of your comments immediately and my apologies for your disappointment.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at gm@phcenturion.co.za.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The whole experience was excellent, the staff are friendly, the service was good & the food was also good.would definately stay with them, only glitch was that the duty manager had an attitude when we asked to be moved to another room.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Smith-Muick
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Smith-Muick

Thank you for your feedback and for posting it on TripAdvisor. A ‘5 out of 5’ score is definitely what we aim for and the TEAM will be delighted to hear your comments.

Excellent is a very powerful word and we are only too happy to have been able to host you and offer you the best GUEST service. The STAFF are committed to meeting and exceeding GUEST expectations and I think it is safe to say that we succeeded.

I am however sorry for the bad attitude you mention from the duty manager. This is unacceptable and not something we are usually proud to offer. I have spoken with the TEAM and ensure this will not occur again.

The chef and TEAM continuously aim to source fresh produce and prepare tasty meals. It is great that their creations met your standards.

Until your next visit, we wish you safe travels.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 23, 2013

A few minor problems are hampering total customer satisfaction at this establishment:

1. Why lock the side door of this establishment at 22H00 in the evening? It’s only situated 10 meters from the security gate of hotel. We had to walk around the complete hotel in the absolute pouring rain to get to the hotel. (There are doors leading from the undercover parking directly into the Hotel but these are all locked…)

2. The night Management refuses to silence drunken guests on their balconies at 02H00 in the mornings.

3. The Mall opposite the Hotel closes their gates at 21H00 at night making it almost impossible to get to the Hotel unless you walk about a kilometre in the dark in a almost deserted road, which is not very safe. Even when travelling by car you can only enter the Hotel form one side if this gate is closed. Really unacceptable.

4. Also the Bar and Room service is a nightmare in the evenings. Calls go unanswered, and the food is not very palatable. (This is maybe why we went to other restaurants. The Hotel does not market their restaurant sufficiently to hotel patrons.)

5. I also have no idea at how many “Managers” one should book your accommodation as, we were told on Saturday that we are supposed to leave the hotel even though we confirmed and pre-paid the accommodation for both nights. Luckily this was resolved but it should not have happened in the first place.

6. The overall Check-in and consequent enquiries was handled extremely efficient by a lady called Anel. It could only benefit this hotel and its Management either train their Duty Managers to rival Anel’s abilities or to actually make her part of the Management team.

7. Overall this Hotel has more positives than negatives but unfortunately the negatives are all influencing negatively on what should have been a relaxing weekend.

I do suggest that duty managers are better trained to deal with situations in the absence of the General Manager as none of these problems ever happens whilst the GM are at the Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are extremely beautiful, but the one's with the view of the lake, (If there's...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Francoise J
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Francoise J

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Centurion.

I am delighted to hear of the positive impact that Anel had on your stay. Offering the best GUEST service is imperative to our success and I will congratulate Anel on her efforts. We have an on-going training program in place to ensure that we continuously strive for service excellence.

GUEST safety and security is important to us and, as a result, we lock the side door at night. I am truly sorry that this caused you an inconvenience.

The Mall is operated independent and therefore we are unable to change their opening and closing times. However, going forward we will be sure to inform GUESTS about the trading hours of the nearby mall.

Please be assured that your concerns have been attended to and we trust that this will have a positive impact on your next stay with us.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I agree with my fellow reviewer below. It is a standard business hotel and not bad, but not value for money. The first night was a holiday rate and the second night the rate went up double.... . The rate does not include a breakfast (not like other Protea Hotels). Wifi is free till 100MG (? sorry not certain) but it was enough.

Teh first room assigned was facing a busy road and west side (thus very hot in the evening). I asked to change the room and they assigned the room facing a window or outside wall renovation in the second floor, which was not ideal. Finally they promised to change the room in the next day. The final room I got in the second day was facing a pool side and lake, and has a small balcony overlooking a lake on a higher floor, which was nice.

The room does not have a fridge, but you can ask for it and they will bring it for free of charge.
Pool was small and looks like a fish pond and lacked privacy. The resturant was Ok (room service).

My reason to book this hotel was I had a business in the area. I would not have chosen this if there is no reason to be in the area. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to the train station which is very convenient as I do not feel very safe in walking any streets alone. Also the hotel is very close to a shopping mall and you can go shopping or dining out.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors, facing a busy road and west side. Ask for a room with a lake (but in fact no wat...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank doranobi
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear doranobi

I appreciate the time you have taken to post valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

As the majority of our GUESTS travel on business, our rates during the week differ from that of the weekend. As a result, depending on which rate one books, breakfast may or may not be included.

I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with getting the correct room and for you disappointment with some of the services at the hotel. We do offer various room categories which are more spacious with a separate lounge and kitchenette. Please feel free to request one of these when making your next reservation.

I am, however, glad that our complimentary shuttle bus and unique location near the shopping mall proved to be convenient for you.

Your feedback will assist us in reaching our goal of offering the best GUEST service.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phcenturion.co.za.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

not a bad hotel but too expensive for what you get
isolated location and simple room
staff is doing their job - not more than that
the only added value that I can tell about is that the centurion mall is very near by

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shlbre
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Shlbre

Receiving feedback via TripAdvisor is appreciated by the TEAM and motivates us to continue searching for excellence.

Our location nearby the Centurion Mall offers shopping and alternative dining within a short distance. We are also very close to Supersport Park Cricket Stadium and the new Gautrain Station for easy transport to the airport or CBD; all of which are beneficial to those travelling on business.

I apologise that you did not find value during your stay, as this is not the experience we want GUESTS to have. Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phcenturion.co.za to discuss your concerns.

Thank you for your review and I would welcome the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times on business trips, the latest stopover being 6 months,to me that says everything. I love it here, the staff, all of them, are fantastic,they cannot help you enough, without being in your face. I get a friendly face every time I leave or return, even the security staff are friendly, and restaurant staff are lovely, as are the reception staff and management, and even the cleaners sing a song for us.Natalie the new manager is doing a great job.i have NO complaints about this place, the lake needs cleaning but it's not the hotels responsibility.i love it here.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to the suites although all the rooms are adequate
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear alfie73

It has been an absolute pleasure hosting you at Protea Hotel Centurion and the STAFF will be so pleased with your comments.

The entire TEAM is very passionate about exceeding GUEST expectations and creating a friendly, feel at home environment. It is very heart-warming to hear that you experienced this with STAFF from all departments.

Thank you for such a wonderful review and you will always be welcome here.

Protea Hotel Centurion

Also consider these accommodations in or near Centurion
African Pride Irene Country Lodge
#21 of 74 in Pretoria
Kleinkaap Boutique Hotel
Kleinkaap Boutique Hotel
#1 of 10 in Centurion

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Centurion? Share your experiences!