Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
$47
Travelocity
All reviewsshopping mallgautrain stationdecent hotelthe general managerbusiness hotelnight staya great stayduty managerserviced dailybreakfast buffet isroom serviceconvenient locationa la cartecomfortable roomspretoriamunicipalityduvet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very tired from our long flight, our welcome at the front desk was just right ; helpful, informative and professional . Our comfortable suite had plenty of room, a useful kitchenette, with microwave and fridge. There was also a well furnished living room with a three piece suite.
In the separate bedroom there is a lovely comfortable big bed, and a favorite of mine, thick fully fitted black out curtains, essential for the lazy morning lie in.
The hotel has a good restaurant and a well organised breakfast. The evening meal was a bit mixed, and whilst the food was good, service was not very forthcoming, Neither was it good value; if it was not for the torrential rain, i doubt if it would have been as busy as it was.
Breakfast was much better organised with good choices and excellent staff.
The housekeeping section of hotel are often regarded as a Cinderella section largely unseen and frequently ignored; not so at this hotel, staff and room standards were excellent.
there is a small pool but we enjoyed the sun, whilst viewing the waterfowl and other bird life in and around the lake.
Nearby is the Gautrain station, the excellent Centurion Mall, and the good views over the lake.
One of the best memories of this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff, together with clean comfortable safe and secure accommodation.
Very good stay, wish we had used it on our return journey to Gauteng, instead of the 5* in Pretoria.

Room Tip: pay a little bit more and get a very comfortable suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Cherriesfan_9,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for the fantastic comments with regards to your overall experience. I am delighted to hear that you found our facilities up to standard and the STAFF very commendable.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the mix up with your evening meal in particular the poor service and ultimately not realising the value for money. I have addressed this with my TEAM and have implemented a more efficient service delivery strategy during our busy periods.

Our suite appartments are available at a small surcharge and are worth every penny! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to South Africa on your next visit.

Genral Manager

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed 24th to 28th Sept. Arrived mid afternoon, we were very disappointed in the room we were given really needed some TLC, spoke to Reception and the Manager upgraded us to a Deluxe room which sorry was still not up to scratch. We ended up having to upgrade to a Suite at 300 rand/£25 per night (1,200 rand/£100) to get a room that was suitable this I found annoying that we had to pay extra to get a suitable room considering what we had paid for the accommodation when we booked our complete holiday package through Thomas Cook Signatures/Thompsons Africa. My personal feeling was this hotel is not geared up to accommodate people on holiday. The food was good. I cannot fault any of the staff in the hotel they were all very pleasant. The failing for the hotel is the quality of the rooms. What I did find strange that even in the afternoons there were still trays from I presume previous nights Rooms Service lying in the corridors.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cath C
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Cath C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to sincerely apologise for the terrible experience during your visit in September. Our suite apartments are available at an additional surcharge of R300 as they come with a separate lounge area and kitchenette and are also more spacious than the standard rooms.

With regards to the state of our rooms, I do agree with you that they are tired and are in need of an upgrade. I would like mention that we are looking at a bathroom refurbishment in the new year. For now we are finishing off the project on the exterior of the building (walls & roof)

I am pleased to hear that you found our food up to standard and the STAFF members commendable. Although the hotel offers 24 hour room service and GUESTS are normally ordering from this menu throughout the day, there is no excuse for the uncollected dirty trays in the corridors. I have addressed this with my TEAM.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused due to our inability to meet your expectations as a holiday maker. I sincerely hope that you will consider using us again in the future so that we can have the opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Being booked into a room with a paper thin inter-leading door did not bode well, neither did the hand basin in the bedroom nor the grubby bathroom with a hand shower mounted on the wall over the bath. The speedy response from management to relocate me to a 'better' room was somewhat marred by the discovery of a cockroach in the bathroom at 2am and a further 3 the following afternoon. My complaint was met initially with disbelief, followed by the very prompt arrival of two ladies from housekeeping and a very large can of Doom. Although I warned them that this would not only be hugely ineffective, it would also encourage the beasts to run in many directions, they proceeded to asphyxiate us all. Cue the Head of Housekeeping entering stage left into a fog of insect killer, who bid a hasty retreat to return with the hotel manager armed with a blank key card. My suitcases were rounded up and I was swept down many passages and upwards to the roof to be ensconced with a flourish in the Presidential Suite. At least the last night of my stay was spent in comfort and cleanliness! I cannot fault the staff of this establishment. They were extremely friendly and courteous. They reacted to each complaint with absolute efficiency but sadly this was not enough to encourage me to ever consider staying there again. The hotel facilities desperately need a major upgrade - the recent coat of paint does not compensate for this need and the general cleanliness of the rooms leaves a lot to be desired. The general state of the accommodation, coupled with the cockroach problem was just too much to bear.

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite would be the only room safe to sleep in (although the decor leaves much to be desired)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sandiman7

Dear Sandiman 7,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to sincerely apologise for such a terrible experience during your visit in September. There is absolutely no excuse for the unacceptable housekeeping standards. I have addressed the cockroach matter with our pest control service provider to ensure that it does not persist.

With regards to the state of our bathrooms, I agree with you that they are tired and are due for an upgrade. I would like to mention that we have a refurbishment plan scheduled to take place in the new year. For now we are finishing off the project on the exterior of the building (walls & roof).

I am glad to hear that you found the STAFF members friendly and courteous. I sincerely hope that you will consider using us again in the future and give us the opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Protea this week. The room safe was not working i asked fir it to be repaired but it never happened. Bathroom was a bit run down, room was ok. Very average hotel in a reasonable location close to the Crnturion mall.

• Stayed: September 2012
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Africapaddy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay with us last week. Your feedack is truly appreciated. I am pleased to note that you found the hotel's proximity to the shopping mall quite convenient. I would like to point out that the hotel is also within walking distance to the Centurion gautrain station and we offer complimentary shuttle to and from the station daily.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our inability to get your room safe fixed while you were staying with us. I have addressed this with the respective department to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

I completely agree with you that our bathrooms are tired. I am however happy to say that we have refurbishment plans to restore the bathrooms in the near future. For now we are giving the exterior of the building a good scrub and the roof a fresh coat of paint.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to show you what true hospitality is all about.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel's location is very good, just a stone away from the Centurion Mall. It's not a hotel that can take your breath away, it's good for business purposes. I was dissappointed by not seeing a lake because it has been drained out.

I was At room 204 which was not that much big. They shlold have includd balconies on the side facing the lake. The hotel is being renovated currently which is a bit disturbing because I wasn't even able to open my window due to scaffolding running next to my window but that is understandable.

The hotel is good with flat screen TVs, queen size beds, etc. complementary cakes were so delicious I even asked for sum more although I was dissappointed about the delay in delevering them in such a awy that I had to remind them after 30 minutes and that the following day they couldn't supply me with them without any clear explanation.

They have a very limited buffet selection.

Room Tip: Get the upper rooms towards Gautrain Centurion section they got a superp view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boo-ngane
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Boo-ngane,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel following your previous stay. I am delighted to hear that you found our proximity to the Centurion Mall ideal. We are also located close to supersport park stadium as well as the Centurion Gautrain Station and offer complimentary shuttle to and from.

You are quite right to say that the hotel has traditionally been good for business travel. However, our weekends are fast becoming ideal for leisure travellers as well. We have launched our very own Kids playroom every Saturday from 7am to 11am offering fun activities and games for kids staying in the hotel. Additionally, with Spring unedrway, we have launched our proudly South African braai with entertainment on Saturday afternoons also offering lots of exciting activities plus children under the age of 12, dining with their parents will eat for FREE.

The hotel is currently undergoing routine maintanence work on the building exterior which involves a fresh coat of paint on the roof as well as washing the walls with a pressure hose, hence the scuffolding. Unfortunately we have had to ask our GUESTS to keep the windows closed during this time so that we can avoid water damage to the rooms. The good news is though is that the project will be completed soon and the hotel will look fresh and clean as a result. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this is causing.

Room 204 is one of our standard rooms and does not have a balcony. We do offer another room type( SUITE APARTMENTS) thats more spacious with a semi-self catering facility, a separate lounge area, a kitchenette and in some instances a balcony. A small upgrade fee is levied for these rooms but totally worth every penny. Please enquire about these rooms on your next visit and you will not be dissappointed.

With regards to our food & beverage service, I am terribly sorry that the delivery of the complimentary cakes took longer than expected. I have addressed this matter with the relevant departments. Additionally, I am dissappointed to hear that you found our buffet offering limited. I would like to highlight that the hotel also offers an A' La carte menu daily for both lunch and dinner service times. Alternatively there is 24 hour room service available daily to our in-house GUESTS. I am so sorry that this was not communicated during your stay.

Having said this, I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and show you what true hospitality is all about.

Kind Regards,