“Great view, kind staff, needs some upgrading”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Boathouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballito
The Boathouse
Ranked #13 of 23 Ballito B&B and Inns
Milwaukee
“Great view, kind staff, needs some upgrading”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Boathouse for a night while driving from Pietermaritzburg to St. Lucia. The staff was very kind and helpful and we had a wonderful view. We kept the patio doors open and listened to the sea, which was fantastic! The location is unbeatable and there are restaurants and pubs in walking distance. The breakfast was delicious, and the main areas of the hotel are lovely. My only complaint is the room quality. I think that for the same price or a bit higher, it is possible to stay in more updated places in Ballito. I was disappointed that our romantic evening by the sea was met with heavily stained carpeting and an almost digustingly stained duvet. The bathroom was very small and the tiling and grout was very discolored. It seems that the hotel is making some updates, but had I seen the room before we booked, we probably would've chosen a different guesthouse.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

As several recent reviewers have said...I was a bit concerned about this the final stop at the end of a three week holiday...I need not have been concerned...it is a lovely place...my room was very nice...it had a huge balcony overlooking the beautiful beach and wraping around the side of the hotel...I could follow the sun with ease...and watched dolphins and even a whale one morning...

We had a great meal on the first night, and breakfast from the buffet and cooked to order was excellent.

The staff very friendly and efficient throughout the hotel.

Please give this hotel a chance...I don't think you'll find better in Balito...it is lovely

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JulesJEE
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

I had read conflicting reviews about this hotel so arrived with a little apprehension, but did not find anything wrong. We can honestly say we found the hotel a lovely place for a few days r&r after those early mornign starts on Safari.
The hotels itself is lovely, situated in a beautiful area, right on the beach with fantastic views of the Indian Ocean. Our rooms were on the first floor with huge terraces overlooking the Ocean, an ideal spot to soak up the sun.
The staff were all very friendly and attentive and couldn't do enough for you. The restaurant was very good we have an excellent dinner on our first night and breakfasts were also excellent. The reception staff were fantastic and very helpful.
All in all, it could probably do with modernising slightly but I have no complaints and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
BoathouseBallito, General Manager at The Boathouse, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to put up your review about our lovely guest house.

We really appreciate it that you gave us a chance and did not listen to all the bad reviews. Unfortunately not all guests look at the dates of the reviews and also most guests who do enjoy their stay with us do not put their reviews up. It is generaly people who do not enjoy their stay who want to write a review. We are improving every day. Each bad comment we do look at and try to improve on it. It is not always possible to keep everyone happy but we do try our best.

We look forward to your next stay with us.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

I drove down to Ballito on Saturday 24 April 2010 for an ad hoc holiday trip. I had not booked prior-accommodation and drove around Ballito looking for a place to stay from 24 - 26 April 2010. I came across THE BOATHOUSE (thanks to their magnificent signage!) and was greeted by extremely warm & friendly staff. I was allocated the most beautiful luxury room with a terrific view just 40 metres from the Indian Ocean. Not only was this one of the best rooms in the quaint guest house, but the pricing represented unprecented value for money! For an unforgettable holiday experience in a tranquil setting, with superb service, excellent staff and a hassle-free stay, I definitely recommend The BOATHOUSE. Thank you so much to Sherry, Taryn, Loret, Kuban, Thami, Catherine and Vusi. You guys are doing a wonderful job! Keep it up!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to put this review on the website. We appreciate all guest comments (good or bad).

We are glad that you managed to find us while in our lovely town and that you really enjoyed your time with us. We like it when guests see us as their home away from home.

We look forward to your next stay with us.
Sussex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We had read conflicting reviews so arrived with some apprehension however most of the issues we had read about seemed to have been resolved. We can honestly say we found the hotel a perfect place for a few days r&r between serious bouts of touring.
The hotel is well located, attractive design and very comfortable. Our room was located on the first floor with a large sundeck overlooking the Ocean and was an ideal place to soak up the late afternoon sun. The staff were all very friendly and attentive. However, we did find the dining room staff and chef to be a little 'over enthusiastic'. On saying that we did have a good meal and they made every effort to make us comfortable. We would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JPRSussex_England
BoathouseBallito, General Manager at The Boathouse, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Thank you for coming to The Boathouse despite the complaints you had read. When we receive a complaint (no matter how big or small) we follow it up and try and resolve the issue as quick as possible. It is nice to hear that a guest decided to come and stay to see for themselves what our lovely place is like. Everyone is different. What one person likes, another person does not like.

I have passed on your compliments to the staff and I have spoken to the dining room staff and the chef about being a bit too enthusiastic.

We are glad to hear that you would consider coming back. We look forward to welcoming you back.
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed in the Boathouse for the final week of our 3 week tour of SA. We booked all of our hotels/lodges ourselves, based on customer reviews, and we were more than happy with what we found when arrived. The staff were very friendly and seemed eager to make our stay as relaxing as possible. The rooms were very clean and well kept, with great views out to sea. The staff recommended a number of restaurants around the area which were all lovely.
Bar staff were very welcoming and happy to chat, and restaurant staff went out of their way to deliver great service. A special table was set up for us on the last night, decorated with fresh flowers and champagne to end our holiday . Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank dan-walsh
We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your last week in South Africa at The Boathouse.

I have passed on your compliments to the staff as they are always happy to hear when a guest has enjoyed their stay with us.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to our lovely country.
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed at The Boathouse for two nights in January 2010. I'm afraid that we were disappointed when we arrived. The hotel is quite worn and it needs to be updated. The hotel also needs some kind of charm. The only thing I could say was really good about the hotel was the beautiful view over the ocean. We ate dinner one night at the hotel and it was not too good, the food was boring and uninventive. The room was small and the bathroom really worn. The reception could also need a more professionel look, because it is the first thing you see when you arrive.There was no atmosphere at the hotel or in Ballito, it seems like a dead place, that maybe once was a hot spot. I'm sorry but we were not satisfied and I do both write reviews about good and bad experiences, but this it was a bad experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
We always appreciate all guest comments be it good or bad. This is the best way to judge what guests expect from us. So we would like to thank you for making your comments as it will help us to improve.

I am pleased to advise that we are busy with a lot of upgrades in and around The Boathouse. Some of the upgrades are being done because of some of the comments by our guests. When guests make suggestions we try and see if we can do what they suggest. For example the balconies by the luxury and deck rooms were done as guests had said it would be nice if there were balconies. We looked into it and decided to do it. We have started sending out letters to each guest the night before they check out and we ask them for their comments. This gets brought to my desk and I forward it on to the correct departments.

I do apologize that you did not enjoy your meal. I am also pleased to advise that we will be changing our menu soon.

I have made a note to look at reception having a more professional look as you suggested.

Ballito is a holiday beach town. Most people come here to relax and enjoy the sea. During the busy season there is a lot more activity but it is nothing like the big cities like Durban. We have found we are in the perfect location because guests can relax and if they want more the big city noise and vibe, Durban is only about 45 minute drive away.

Travelers are raving about these Ballito hotels