“Great tasting authentic food”
Review of Mo-zam-bik Ballito

Mo-zam-bik Ballito
Ranked #2 of 99 Restaurants in Ballito
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I don't often write reviews but the food was so good at Mo-zam-bik I felt compelled to show my support. We started with a platter that included the best peri-peri chicken livers I've ever had, calamari was also fantastic with mouth watering sauce with a lemon zest. The steak was done to perfection and fresh line fish was delicious.

They have a warm and welcoming casual atmosphere were service is impeccable, the owner came and checked up on us to see how our trainee waiter was doing. The only thing that needs improvement is the cocktail menu, as I don't think cocltails are traditionally part of the Mozambique calture...but I'll let that one slide.

All in all they get a thumbs up from me. I will be back soon and look forward to exploring the menu some more.

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your review and thanks for taking the time to write it. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal at our store. Thanks for letting the cocktail menu slide and giving us five out of five. Just to let know you have inspired me to look into a new one when we update our menus next. Safe travelling and hope to see you soon when you are in South Africa next.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and a 12 year old child), and visited this restaurant in the end of February 2014. The choice for the restaurant was based on recommendations of several (local) persons.
The food was great (especially the fish), atmosphere relaxed and our waitres Sheila was very friendly and helpful. When it took too long for the taxi from our hotel to show up, manager Brad decided to return us to the hotel at their own expenses (a 20 minutes drive) which we of course highly appreciated!

1  Thank 746Jack

Hi 746jack,

Thank you for your review of our restaurant in Ballito. We put so much effort into customer service and I'm glad it is paying off. When you are next in South Africa and if you come to Ballito please pop in and say hi. I hope you had an awesome holiday in South Africa and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Joining a friend there for a drink and bite to eat is what it is all about.
Mo-zam-bik is about taking the time to sit across from your mates in your swimming costume and flip flops (or cozzie and slops as we call it in SA), talk a whole lot of garbage (or serious if you must), drink something and have a really great pub meal. I really recommend it

Just hang ten

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hi Kendall_Law,

Thank you for your review of Mozambik. We hope to see you soon and safe travels.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a casual restaurant, not in the best area of Ballito BUT the food is GREAT and their chicken livers peri peri should be one of the special dishes of world cuisine.
Service is casual but of a high standard.
We will always remember Mo-zam-bik and will always go back.

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Hi furnace,

Thank you for your review of our restaurant. We appreciate all feedback and we really appreciate great feedback. I see that you come every year to Ballito from the Uk. Please if you are coming down next year please phone me (0824274903) so I can invite you for a meal on us. Thanks for all the support and happy travels.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Last week we were back at Mo-zam-bik in Ballito for dinner, just after a weekend away in Mozambique, the country. I have to say this restaurant does Mozambican food better than the restaurants over the border do it. The restaurant was full to capacity on the Friday night we visited - booking is advised.

Durban has far too many Italian restaurants with pizza and pasta (sorry, my personal opinion) so it is refreshing to be able to have food that wasn't smothered in cream. I love the combination of spices on the chicken Zambeziana - firm favorite! The calamari in a peri peri sauce with a warm pau (local Mozam bread) to mop up the sauce was awesome.

The service was excellent even though the waiters were running to keep up with all their tables - bounding up and down stairs in their mission to keep everyone happy in the various areas of this restaurant.

1  Thank Jeanie B
Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Hi Jeanie B,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the food more in Ballito than in Mozam. My staff do really work hard especially when we really busy as the furtherest table is 70m away from the kitchen so we have some very fit waiters :).

Hope to see you soon,