“Great Ambience and Good Portugese/Mozambique Food”
Review of Mo-zam-bik Ballito

Mo-zam-bik Ballito
Ranked #2 of 96 Restaurants in Ballito
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I don't know if I just hit the restaurant at a bad time but this was one of my all time favourites and their peri- peri chicken has always been brilliant to awesome. On my recent holiday to Durban I made a point of travelling out to Ballito just for their chicken and while all the usual trappings were there and the wonderfully rustic décor that oozes ambience was just as I remembered it, I was disappointed with the peri peri chicken. It was good, no doubt about it, but it lacked the brilliance that I have associated with the restaurant.
Thinking that the cook just had an off day, I travelled out there a couple of weeks later and again ordered peri- peri chicken, this time I was even more disappointed, it was a very average chicken, still fairly good by most standards but average by theirs. It was smaller than usual and lacked the punch of peri-peri that used to bring tears to my eyes. The chips weren't bad though but I didn't go there for chips.
Maybe my experience could be seen as being a bit one dimensional as I only had the chicken, as did my friends (also disappointed), other reviews rave about their other dishes so maybe they deserve their No 1 Ranking in Ballito, all I can say is in my opinion, their peri peri chicken lacks the magic of old but I cant wait to return to Ballito sometime in the future to test them out again and see if they have recaptured the taste and quality I remember.
Service was good, efficient and friendly with a choice of seating either inside in the rustic wooden setting or outside in the courtyard dominated by Kingsley Holgate's dhow which he sailed up the East African coastline distributing potentially life saving mosquito nets to combat the rampant spread of malaria.
It hurts me to only rate this restaurant as being average, they can and have done so much better in the past where "excellent" wouldn't have done them justice but I can only rate on this visit. Hopefully my experience was an isolated one, they deserve support and Mo-zam-bik is definitely worth a visit.

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me about the days you were here. I have tried to look into it and all I have managed to find is a hot spot on my grill which was burning the chickens that were placed over this hot spot. I Don't have an excuse why the chicken tastes different. The only thing is maybe my chef was a little light on the chilli when making the piri piri sauce. Like I said in the mail I sent you when you are next in South Africa I'll personally cook your chickens for you. Thanks for the chat and have a great weekend. Regards,

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was recomended by a friend at the Zimbali golf club to visit Mo-Zam-Bik restaurant. Being part of one of Stellenbosch's top restaurants, you can take my word for it....this is great food. I orderd the crispy squid heads (recommended by my waiter Pinki) which was perfectly prepeard and portioned quite generously. For main it was a toss-up between the Balsamic Steak special (purely inquisitive) and the signature dish the Mo-Zam-Bik Steak....I went signature. What an amazingly tasty dish. All the elements on the plate was complimenting each other really well , from the un-dominating red wine sauce, bacon and egg (done perfectly) on the medium rear rump steak prepared as per my request (medium rear). The only criticism I have is that, 1) The presentation of the food is lacking imagination (I get te whole rustic ambiance and I love it, but even then one can put more effort into presentation). 2) The wine list does not complement the "spicy" menu and "African" restaurant theme, to me personally I would have love to see more than only one Pinotage (very predictable brand) and one Shiraz (known to pair well with spicy food) on the wine list. Everyone at the restaurant was having a great time and so dit I. I will definitely be back on my next visit to Ballito. All the waiters were very friendly and attentive. Well done guys!

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hi The_J_man101,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed our food. I have put so much into my food over the years to perfect the flavours it really makes me happy when restaurateurs like yourself enjoy my food. I took your advice on the Pinotage and Shiraz. I'm adding to my wines 3 more of each cultivar(Not on the menu on my wine rack. I'm only reprinting my menu in October). As for the food presentation I know its not the best but its done on purpose for the unpretentious feel of the restaurant. But anyway when you up again in Ballito please give me a call:0824274903. I would love to meet up and show you around the kitchen etc.

Have a great week and good cooking.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Went here recently with my friend who was getting married in SA and a big group of guys who were all over for the wedding!

The food was great with a large range of options from Seafood to Steaks and Chicken with much in between...I will not list out a load of options but needless to say much piri piri was had and a range of tastes and flavours enjoyed by all.

The food was exceptionally good value and tasted great washed down with some local beers and a range of shots and cocktails with the only one to stay clear or was the piña colada and also watch out for the stroh which I enjoyed but others can't handle as well!

Service was attentive and they were happy to help us out with some weird orders and regular drinks servicing exactly as we wanted!

Also heard this is a great from smaller groups and when back in Ballito will be back!

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Hi cimurray7,

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us. The hardest tables to serve in a restaurant are big tables. So when we get 5/5 it makes my day. Hope to see you soon. Maybe sooner than later as I'm trying to find a site in London to open a Mozambik.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have visited this restaurant three times. K Holgate's boat is a must-see.
The food is good, especially the chicken, and the overall experience was pleasant.
Having said that, we have seen the owners, but have found them less than welcoming. Perhaps we expected too much .... the staff have never heard of Mozambique, and have no idea what to recommend. This place does have a lot of potential, and a number of loyal customers. It would be even better if the owners and staff were more welcoming.

Hi SvB-CvB,

Thank you for getting in touch with me when I responded to your review. I'm glad we got everything sorted out for you. You actually inspired me to do an add on training with my staff. Now every waiter has a basic general knowledge of Mozambique( Population, provinces, GDP etc etc.)

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were a bit sceptical that a hundred friends of the Mozambik owners put in reviews. This was however the best meal we had on Ballito.
The fish dishes we had "were the money dishes". I can recommend the Zambezian Hake with Coconut rice. The service was good and beers / cocktails nice in a rustic setting. You have to go try it.

Brett M, Owner at Mo-zam-bik Ballito, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you very very very much for your article. I really enjoy it when customer have loved their experience at Mozambik. If you have any problems when you come visit us again please phone me on 0824274903 or pop into the kitchen most of the time I'm there. Have a Awesome weekend Brett