“Mr Bukasa”

Fairmont Zimbali Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ballito
“Mr Bukasa”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Always an amazing experience everytime I stay at the hotel. Best staff, efficient and very competent,especially Mahe and Tarnia. Great food always and not to mention the spectacular ocean view from the room, and main entrance.

I have recommend many people to stay with the hotel and I am intending doing just that as the resort deserves a big Wouah:"what a place"

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
FairmontZimbali, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for very much for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback with us. We really value your recommendation and hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

The Fairmont Zimbali Resort Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Czech first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Very good and funny time. The facilities are very good. The quality of the rooms are excellent. I enjoyed staying in this hotel and when I have the opportunity again to be in Durban my option will be staying in this hotel. The location is also very interesting at night we can see many animals walking freely through the resort. We have to pay attention on the way.

• Stayed February 2014
FairmontZimbali, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at Fairmont Zimbali Resort. We are delighted that your stay with us was, in your own words, fantastic.

The indigenous wildlife that roams freely on the Estate is often the source of endless wonder and amusement for our guests, adding the finishing touch to their stay.

Thank you for the glowing recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back to Durban and Fairmont Zimbali Resort.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This stylish hotel is situated in one of the more scenic parts of South Africa. Overlooking the bright blue Indian ocean it offers excellent service. We stayed two nights and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The staff are professional and very friendly. They are eager to fulfil your every need.

The food was exquisite - with a good variety of tastes. The breakfast was quite a spread - and the real treat was having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the sea.

It's close proximity to the King Shaka airport and Durban city make it a convenient, comfortable and exotic destination

Room Tip: The best is the sea view (with Balcony) - bit more expensive but worth it. The other sea view rooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontZimbali, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Fairmont Zimbali Resort, I would like to sincerely thank you for your positive and constructive feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two nights stay with us.

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to praise our team’s service excellence and the “exquisite cuisine” at the Resort. I will ensure they receive a copy of your review.

We appreciate you taking the time to share a Room Tip. I’m certain this information will greatly benefit our future Guests when making a reservation.

Thanks again and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Zimbali Resort.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager
On behalf of Fairmont Zimbali Resort
jhb south africa
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in January. Check in was quick and efficient with a welcome drink. The lobby is beautiful and tastefully decorated.
The rooms are well appointed and large which was good considering we have 2 kids. Beds were comfy with good quality linen. There was a tea and coffee station and complimentary bottled water that was replenished everyday. Was lovely sitting on the balcony at nights. Unfortunately we could hear when a chair was being dragged from the room above us and this was a bit annoying.

Breakfast was really great. One of the best I've had in South Africa with a huge variety available. There are a few pools (none heated though).
We enjoyed room service, as there was no real other choice with 2 kids. The food was not bad albeit expensive. The biryani was delicious.

There is a bit of an ant problem in the rooms which I think is exacerbated by in-room dining. I did find a couple of ants in the bed.

The spa treatment I had was really great although I do feel I was kept waiting very long before my treatment. Loved the relaxation room after the massage. Really serene.

Overall the hotel was lovely but I did not feel it proved to be value for money. For the price per night, I expected at least free wifi, but this was not the case. There was a kids club which also payable. Even using the bicycles were not free and you had to pay per hour. The sea is very rough here and thus swimming is not an option, which basically only left the pool.
I felt the hotel missed the mark here and should at least throw in a few extras at that price, and therefore I will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank nasoo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your considered and balanced review. We greatly appreciate the investment of your time and value your feedback.

Please be assured that your concerns have been addressed at a management level. Some of the benefits of our Fairmont President’s Club include complimentary Wi-Fi as well as complimentary use of the BMW Mountain Bikes. On your next visit please speak to a member of our friendly staff about signing up for the program.

We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Vancouver
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Great location on the Indian Ocean. Only 15 minutes very easy drive from King Shaka Airport. Has three different pools. Beach is long, clean and deserted because swimming is not possible due to currents. The Lodge is a quieter more sophisticated environment, whereas the resort is a very large hotel. We very quickly decided to extend our stay from two to four nights, as this subtropical hotel was exactly what we needed after five weeks travelling.

The resort rooms are first class. We had a fifth floor room with a view over the ocean.

Breakfast at the Resort was first class but the lunch and dinner offerings not so good. The Asian restaurant in the Resort -Osa- was not good, but the Indian restaurant - Thandi - at the Lodge was excellent.

I have stayed in many Fairmonts in North America - they are the best hotels in most canadian cities. There is clearly a struggle to maintain Fairmont standards in Africa. Individual staff attitudes ranged from very helpful to complete indifference. We had a problem with AC noise, which sounded like a drill. Maintenance came and checked it out - and did nothing. We complained again and were told that the problem was a loose part. Rather than fix it, they moved us to another room. A waiter at Thandi - despite being of Indian extraction - couldnt explain menu items - other than to explain that his ignorance was a function of the chef being from India (which was a very good thing). It took a really long time to get beach towels later in the afternoon, and almost defiance from the staff member we first asked.

These comments are not intended to discourage potential guests, because I would go back here regularly if I lived in South Africa, but to point out some of the issues that management need to address. I suspect that they are very familiar with them.

A car really is necessary here. We did day trips to Durban and into the countryside inland from the resort, both of which were fascinating and highly recommended. although other reviewers have commented that "Zimbali isnt really Africa", those trips clearly identify exactly where you are.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcakm
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and feedback. There is no greater testimony than a returning guest or indeed a guest that choose to extend their stay with us. We are delighted you found the rest and respite you needed after your weeks of travel.

Please rest assured that your valued feedback is under advisement and will be addressed by Management to ensure that we consistently provide our guests with engaging service. Additional measures are being implemented to ensure our five-star service is unwavering, even throughout the busy festive period.

We do hope that you visit South Africa again and we relish the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Zimbali Resort

NJ
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I recently spent a week at the Fairmont on the Zimbali Estate. Zimbali is some distance from Durban itself, but conveniently located close to King Shaka airport. The resort has all the amenities one would seek at a world class facility. The Fairmont is nicely located near the beach, although there is no swimming there due to the swift rip current. The rooms are nicely appointed, although the tub and shower are located within the room with little privacy. The staff were all friendly and willing to help with any questions. Food was well prepared and attractive - the Breakfast buffet was good with an egg station and fresh crepes (pancakes) offered, cooked to order and a good selection of fresh fruit. We ate many of our meals in nearby Ballito - which offered a number of good options. The Fairmont Resort is a pleasant modern facility - if you are looking for something a bit more intimate and rustic, go to the Fairmont Lodge, located on the same property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are certain that guests considering staying at Fairmont Zimbali Resort for business like yourself, or indeed pleasure, will find your review of our location, amenities, service and dining options extremely helpful.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Zimbali Resort in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I can't deny I had some initial apprehension about my trip to Zimbali having read some earlier reviews, but having just recently returned from a 5 night trip at this wonderful resort, I must honestly say that I had the trip of a lifetime. We were blessed with fantastic weather, a great hotel, excellent food and service from friendly staff that were sincere and caring. I was one of many on a golfing trip courtesy of Volvo, and found the hotel and the golf course as well as every single member of staff just first class. Special thanks to the girls on reception who went the extra mile every day to look after me, always with a smile. I genuinely could not fault anything about this hotel, and trust me, I've stayed in some really nice places around the world. I had one of the garden suites and found it simply fantastic. Compared to UK prices, I found everything in South Africa as well as Zimbali good value for money. I'd love to return one day with my wife. Simple as that. Well done to the General Manager and his team. You certainly made this Scotman's first visit to South Africa very memorable. Thanks !

Room Tip: Garden suite was just fantastic.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

We were delighted to read your review and take stock of your overwhelmingly postive feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your memorable experience.

We are thrilled that your initial apprehension has been turned around by your recent experience of staying with us, and even more so, that you desire to return with your wife.

We hope to welcome you and your wife to Fairmont Zimbali Resort in the near future.

The Fairmont Zimbali Resort Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballito
The Oyster Box
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban
African Pride Audacia Manor Boutique Hotel
Zimbali View Eco Guesthouse

Been to Fairmont Zimbali Resort? Share your experiences!