“Beautiful resort with excellent service”

Fairmont Zimbali Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ballito
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Fairmont for a work function. The service was excellent, I could not fault their staff on service.

The food is also excellent. The food at our cocktail function was very good for a buffet style and the breakfast buffet was one of the better ones I have had.

The only negative I have is that there was quite a bit if water damage around the hotel and in our room so they probably need to do a bit of repair work.

All in all, a very nice weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013
FairmontZimbaliLodge, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay at Fairmont Zimbali Resort.
We hope that you will visit us on holiday again soon.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Zimbali Resort

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Luxurious resort situated in a beautiful estate in Balito with a breathtaking scenery. The resort has very friendly staff which made the weekend extra comfortable and enjoyable. This is a must visit resort

• Stayed: May 2013
Mark S, General Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I hope to see you at the Fairmont Zimbali Resort again soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend stay in this beautiful hotel (have stayed here on previous occasion, and have never been disappointed). Because of Fairmont Club Membership we were upgraded to a beautiful and very large suite. The suite has all that we could wish for and any problems were attended to immediately. All staff from front desk / house keeping / dinning were very professional and at the same time friendly and always helpful. We had a very good buffet dinner at the Coral restaurant, and an outstanding dinner & service (thanks Pam), at the OSA Asian restaurant. Overall a wonderful and relaxing weekend at the Fairmont Zimabli Resort Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontZimbaliLodge, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay. It's always a pleasure to welcome a President's Club member and we appreciate that you returned to stay with us again.

Pam is one of our brightest stars and we will make sure that your compliment reaches her.

We hope that you will be visiting us more often in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had to travel to Durban on business on short notice. My associate happened to live on the North Coast close to Ballito so I thought I would stay at Zimbali. I must say it’s very conveniently placed from the airport, with only a 10 min drive.

I have never been but was overwhelmed by the friendly welcome I received at the resort.

The hotel was ideal for business as well as for get away!! I was fortunate to experience both since I arrived on Thu and departed on the weekend.

The room were spacious and well appointed with a great view of the ocean and the resort.
Breakfast was good with a nice spread and other meals were outstanding with efficient and friendly service.

Despite the poor weather at the time the resort had much to offer, this kempt me busy and content.

On departure my rental vehicle had an electrical fault and this rendered me with out transport. I was desperate to reach the airport to return to Johannesburg, fortunately the general manager Mark Sawkins and his team quickly made arrangements with the agency to collect the car. Mr. Sawkins kindly dropped me off at the airport allowing me to board the flight just in the nick of time.

I intend to return with my family and spend a bit more time at the resort, as may experience was outstanding and the employees and management team were great!

Room Tip: My room was sea facing with a great view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, General Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'm delighted that you had such a great time.

It was my absolute pleasure to assist you in catching your flight.

Please do visit us again soon.

mark.sawkins@fairmont.com

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Being my first mothers day my husband tried to take my mother and I for an enjoyable Sunday lunch- well... we had a fabulous lunch, but unfortunately we had to walk out of the Fairmount Zimbali to get it.

Firstly the restaurant was shabby and dirty. Carpets with stains on, the bottoms of the curtains were filthy, tables were not cleared properly, tables were not aligned nicely- just giving an overall slack appearance. Not close to 5 star standard.

After 15 minutes a waitress finally comes to greet us and take our drinks order, we order a bottle of champagne, 20 minutes later she returns with a different type of champagne saying she did not have the requested champagne. We order a second bottle of champagne, this arrives 20 minutes later- warmer than room temperature. Next challenge... glasses... after bringing us the warm champagne our waitress heads off in hot pursuit of champagne glasses. Eventually, she returns to us, with 'dishwasher fresh' hot glasses and proceeds to pour champagne as if she were pouring a coke. At which '5 star' hotel are servers unable to pour correctly?

When my husband phoned to book he specifically requested that we be seated in an 'a la carte' restaurant. When we arrived we were told that we can have lunch from the buffet. When we informed them that we have booked for a La carte and not the buffet we were brought a menu of toasted sandwiches and burgers.

At this point I ask for the manager of the restaurant. Upon complaining that the drinks were hot she offered to bring us ice- for champagne!! We told her that we would like a second bottle that is cold... after waiting 15 minutes we left.

On the way out we bumped into the manager who told us that as an apology the Fairmount would be contacting us to try an make amends. 6 days later we still have not heard from them.

We did however have a fantastic (but late) lunch at Beluga! Brilliant food, brilliant service, lovely spot!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank BridgetNel

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience at Fairmont Zimbali Resort.

I am currently looking into the challenges you experienced and will be in contact with you shortly to discuss how they have been dealt with internally.

Should you wish to contact me directly please do not hesitate to do so.

mark.sawkins@fairmont.com

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here during March 2013. Club member have express check in, which is a bonus.
Stayed at the Sea View Suit. Absolutely beautiful room, with large bedroom, lounge, tea/coffee station, balcony and another toilet for guests.

Pros: Room was clean
Staff friendly
kiddie friendly with splash pools and kids menu

Cons: buffet was not up to standard and small for such a big five star hotel
desserts at the buffet dinner was recycled from the night before
pull out couch terrible, caved mattress with hole in the bedding
housekeeping not up to standard. (we left one morning at 8am, came back at 14:30 and
the room was not done yet). Then the house keeping wanted to come back for night shift
at 9pm that night...

Room Tip: Apply online to be a President club member, then book online, it will be cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is always a pleasure to welcome a member of our Fairmont President's Club to Fairmont Zimbali Resort. The express check in is one of the most popular benefits of the program.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the challenges that you experienced. These will be looked into and dealt with accordingly at a Management level.

We hope that you will visit the Fairmont Zimbali Resort again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed this past weekend, and were wowed by the very helpful, friendly staff and the great view! Had dinner in the new restaurant and it was absolutely fantastic. The experience was all and more than we expected.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and has a balcony with terrace furniture
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

The Fairmont Zimbali Resort Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballito
Fairmont Zimbali Lodge
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to Fairmont Zimbali Resort? Share your experiences!