“WONDERFUL STAY IN BEAUTIFUL HOTEL”

Fairmont Zimbali Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ballito
“WONDERFUL STAY IN BEAUTIFUL HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend stay in this beautiful hotel (have stayed here on previous occasion, and have never been disappointed). Because of Fairmont Club Membership we were upgraded to a beautiful and very large suite. The suite has all that we could wish for and any problems were attended to immediately. All staff from front desk / house keeping / dinning were very professional and at the same time friendly and always helpful. We had a very good buffet dinner at the Coral restaurant, and an outstanding dinner & service (thanks Pam), at the OSA Asian restaurant. Overall a wonderful and relaxing weekend at the Fairmont Zimabli Resort Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontZimbaliLodge, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay. It's always a pleasure to welcome a President's Club member and we appreciate that you returned to stay with us again.

Pam is one of our brightest stars and we will make sure that your compliment reaches her.

We hope that you will be visiting us more often in the future.

The Fairmont Zimbali Resort Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Czech first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had to travel to Durban on business on short notice. My associate happened to live on the North Coast close to Ballito so I thought I would stay at Zimbali. I must say it’s very conveniently placed from the airport, with only a 10 min drive.

I have never been but was overwhelmed by the friendly welcome I received at the resort.

The hotel was ideal for business as well as for get away!! I was fortunate to experience both since I arrived on Thu and departed on the weekend.

The room were spacious and well appointed with a great view of the ocean and the resort.
Breakfast was good with a nice spread and other meals were outstanding with efficient and friendly service.

Despite the poor weather at the time the resort had much to offer, this kempt me busy and content.

On departure my rental vehicle had an electrical fault and this rendered me with out transport. I was desperate to reach the airport to return to Johannesburg, fortunately the general manager Mark Sawkins and his team quickly made arrangements with the agency to collect the car. Mr. Sawkins kindly dropped me off at the airport allowing me to board the flight just in the nick of time.

I intend to return with my family and spend a bit more time at the resort, as may experience was outstanding and the employees and management team were great!

Room Tip: My room was sea facing with a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, General Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'm delighted that you had such a great time.

It was my absolute pleasure to assist you in catching your flight.

Please do visit us again soon.

Mark Sawkins
mark.sawkins@fairmont.com
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Being my first mothers day my husband tried to take my mother and I for an enjoyable Sunday lunch- well... we had a fabulous lunch, but unfortunately we had to walk out of the Fairmount Zimbali to get it.

Firstly the restaurant was shabby and dirty. Carpets with stains on, the bottoms of the curtains were filthy, tables were not cleared properly, tables were not aligned nicely- just giving an overall slack appearance. Not close to 5 star standard.

After 15 minutes a waitress finally comes to greet us and take our drinks order, we order a bottle of champagne, 20 minutes later she returns with a different type of champagne saying she did not have the requested champagne. We order a second bottle of champagne, this arrives 20 minutes later- warmer than room temperature. Next challenge... glasses... after bringing us the warm champagne our waitress heads off in hot pursuit of champagne glasses. Eventually, she returns to us, with 'dishwasher fresh' hot glasses and proceeds to pour champagne as if she were pouring a coke. At which '5 star' hotel are servers unable to pour correctly?

When my husband phoned to book he specifically requested that we be seated in an 'a la carte' restaurant. When we arrived we were told that we can have lunch from the buffet. When we informed them that we have booked for a La carte and not the buffet we were brought a menu of toasted sandwiches and burgers.

At this point I ask for the manager of the restaurant. Upon complaining that the drinks were hot she offered to bring us ice- for champagne!! We told her that we would like a second bottle that is cold... after waiting 15 minutes we left.

On the way out we bumped into the manager who told us that as an apology the Fairmount would be contacting us to try an make amends. 6 days later we still have not heard from them.

We did however have a fantastic (but late) lunch at Beluga! Brilliant food, brilliant service, lovely spot!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank BridgetNel
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience at Fairmont Zimbali Resort.

I am currently looking into the challenges you experienced and will be in contact with you shortly to discuss how they have been dealt with internally.

Should you wish to contact me directly please do not hesitate to do so.

Mark Sawkins
mark.sawkins@fairmont.com
Joburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here during March 2013. Club member have express check in, which is a bonus.
Stayed at the Sea View Suit. Absolutely beautiful room, with large bedroom, lounge, tea/coffee station, balcony and another toilet for guests.

Pros: Room was clean
Staff friendly
kiddie friendly with splash pools and kids menu

Cons: buffet was not up to standard and small for such a big five star hotel
desserts at the buffet dinner was recycled from the night before
pull out couch terrible, caved mattress with hole in the bedding
housekeeping not up to standard. (we left one morning at 8am, came back at 14:30 and
the room was not done yet). Then the house keeping wanted to come back for night shift
at 9pm that night...

Room Tip: Apply online to be a President club member, then book online, it will be cheaper.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is always a pleasure to welcome a member of our Fairmont President's Club to Fairmont Zimbali Resort. The express check in is one of the most popular benefits of the program.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the challenges that you experienced. These will be looked into and dealt with accordingly at a Management level.

We hope that you will visit the Fairmont Zimbali Resort again soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed this past weekend, and were wowed by the very helpful, friendly staff and the great view! Had dinner in the new restaurant and it was absolutely fantastic. The experience was all and more than we expected.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and has a balcony with terrace furniture
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last September for my anniversary & service, food & rooms were excellent. My stay there 3 days ago, was another story. Although service is excellent, the cleanliness of rooms were shocking for a 5 star hotel. From dirty curtains, to dusty couches, food & food stains & dust on dinning room chairs, mould on couches, hair in dryer, thick dust under chair in room, seems it might not have swept for over a month.
Wall paper was torn.
Ate at the Coral tree restaurant, which was Buffett dinner & was nothing to right home about, very limited selection & not 5 star dinning experience at all.
I am a frequent traveller who has stayed in so many 4 & 5 star hotels abroad (Dubai, Hong Kong, Thailand, Canada etc) who's cleanliness are much higher than Fairmont Zimbali 5 star. Bit of a sour taste this time.

• Stayed May 2013
FairmontZimbaliLodge, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Zimbali Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your latest stay at Fairmont Zimbali Resort. We do apologise that your experience was not of the standard that you expected or experienced on your previous stay with us.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Umhlanga Rocks, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

my wife and i stayed there to celebrate our wedding annivesary.Service was good by some staff and not so good by others.Got welcoming card in room but had some other guests name on it.My wife and i had dinner at the restuarant and both felt ill afterwards ,to the extent that we were both up all night.So it wasnt quite the wedding anniversary that we had planned !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballito
Fairmont Zimbali Lodge
Hampshire Hotel
Hampshire Hotel
#5 of 7 in Ballito
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#12 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Teremok Marine
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks

Been to Fairmont Zimbali Resort? Share your experiences!