“Fantastic place, especially for birdwatchers”

Kingfisher Country House
Ranked #13 of 59 Wilderness B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights over the summer, and would thoroughly recommend. Our room was very comfortable, hospitality was second-to-none, and the breakfasts were the best I've ever had anywhere - delicious home-cooked frittata, quiches, potato skins and muffins all featuring alongside more usual items.

An array of bird feeders adjacent to the breakfast terrace attracts a wide variety of forest birdlife (including a few species that are tricky to see elsewhere), and nearby forest trails offer great birding. Sue is also generous with local knowledge, offering plenty of tips on where to go and what to do.

Room Tip: Rooms opening out onto the balcony are best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a wonderful country home, with a beautiful garden right on the edge of the forest.The birding is excellent. It is hard to believe that you can get so close to the normally shy forest birds.
Great photographic opportunities but bring a smaller lens as you really do get close.
The rooms are large and en-suite and the breakfasts fantastic.
Your hosts Sue and Phil will make sure you have a great time.
Des and I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

From the first meeting with Sue and Phil it was clear that our stay at Kingfischer would form the basis of an unforgettable holiday. I felt welcomed and at home in the beautifully decorated house, situated in such a beautiful and untamed area. Sue is very knowledgable about the area and makes excellent recommendations! Her breakfasts are truly legendary and never the same two mornings in a row! I still think of those appetising spreads each morning greeting you with the beautiful birds in the background on the verandah!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2012

the kingfisher lodge has a beautiful setting at the edge of the wilderness national park.
We came for the loerie, and you see them certainly on the balcony of the country house.
Sue and Phil are very warm people and will do anything for you to make you stay memorable.
It is really a paradise here and very peaceful.
Sue is very helpful to make the best of your days (walks,restaurants, birdhides etc. )
She is like a mother who is looking after her family.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We were impressed driving up to the welcoming stone facade and veranda. Each room was large with an en suite bathroom. The country styling of the rooms and lush vegetation is relaxing and cozy. We loved our stay. Breakfast on the veranda with the birds feeding in the big tree in front of us was wonderful. Sue cooks up new treats every morning. But like everyone else said, Sue is an expert tour guide on every subject. She has a map or brochure for everything. She did our dinner booking after a long drive, at the jewel of a restaurant called "The Girls". You will love this place!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed here with a group of 4 friends, and immediately felt at home. Sue and Phil's hospitality, their knowledge and passion of the region made our stay unique. I'd read the reviews about the Kingfisher's breakfasts (that's one of the reasons I booked here!), so I can say the expectations were pretty high when I woke up the first day... Well, I can tell you all none of us were disappointed! Housemade muffins, fruit, fresh bread, delicious pancakes and much much more was all we needed to start the day!

So all in all, clean, friendly, and extremely welcoming place (and people)! I wouldn't even hesitate if I had to go to Wilderness again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2012

A big thank you to Sue and Phil.

You have a wonderful property the allows guest to get up close and personal with some of best birds in South Africa. Sitting less than 1m away from a Knysna Loerie, feeding a Drongo from your hand really was memorable. You even managed to get my husband interested in birding!

Accommodation is very comfortable and breakfast on the veranda, which includes a delicious quich sets you up for a day exploring the area.

What sets this property apart is the sheer knowledge of the owners. Sue should be an ambassordor for tourism! She helped book a round of golf for husband and seemed to know most of the golf courses in the area.

On the birding front, she introduced us to so many species is the short time we were staying. I could hardly keep up. Sue also advised me of various birding sites in the area which were safe for me to go to on my own and I was not disappointed with her recommendation. Sue also managed to book us into Girls Restaurant on the evening we stayed. Great recommendation.

Thank you for making us so welcome, you are fantastic hosts and deserve all the very positive reviews.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple