“Absolutely Amazing!”

Ranked #23 of 56 Wilderness B&B and Inns
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Fairy Knowe hotel is one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed at. Our on-suite room on the ground floor had a patio that was directly at the river - what a view! There is so much to do at the Fairy Knowe hotel, whether taking a canoe or paddle boat down to the lakes or up to the waterfall, or going for a hike through the forest, swimming in the river or pool, playing tennis or even table tennis, there is something for everyone!

The breakfasts were excellent - a buffet including bacon, eggs, flapjacks, doughnuts, yoghurts, serials and more - ensured that we were well fed and watered.

The place is really something for the whole family and there is so much to do that I greatly regret staying only two nights - next time will be at least a week!

You're also just 5 minutes away from the Wilderness centre, where there are great restaurants, though the Fairy Knowe hotel does include a restaurant and a bar. The beautiful town of Knysna is also just a short drive away.

The Fairy Knowe hotel may look a bit old, but it is certainly not run-down - on the contrary, this merely adds to its charm. It is very well looked after, with even the paddle-boats and canoes available to the guests cleaned every morning.

The staff were all very friendly, helpful and efficient - our room was tidied, our bed was made and soap and towels were replaced while we were out. Thanks especially to Jeremy (the manager), who went out of his way to make our stay so great!

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing the river - you'll be less than 10 steps from the water's edge.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Swellendam, South Africa
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Due to my husband's travel's, he has been staying at the Fairy Knowe for almost 20 years, and loved it! We use to travel with him, holidays allowing, at least once a year and stay there too with the kids. A lovely family hotel that use to be so good, is definately going so bad now. The facilities and equipment are tired, service poor and with the four new managers looking after everything now, it has gone seriously down. We had breakfast at the hotel only the first morning, and because it was so terrible, ate breakfasts and all meals elsewhere for the remainder of the time. It would be great if an investor can purchase it, upgrade it, appoint trained and professional staff and reinstate it to its former glory. It is so sad as the location is so good!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lidia A

Travelers are raving about these Wilderness hotels

Reviewed April 1, 2012

What a fantastic place! My husband and I were looking for a quite place to chill and fell inlove with this place. This is really home away from home. Friendly staff and excellent food(especially the breakfast. Tx, Vincent!!!) The view is stunning and there are so many things to do and see! Awesome! Jeremy(the manager),thank you so so much for making us feel at home. We met some very good friends and had the best time of our lives.We will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: A rondawel facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2012

What an incredible place. I booked a 2 night stay for my girlfriend and I in March 2012 and we had the best time ever. I had read a few bad reviews before we booked so I was apprehensive to say the least but after being there and enjoying the vibe and activities I can definitely say that we will be back again soon. I was so sad to leave after only 2 days. Next time I’m booking a 5 night stay. There is so much to do from taking the various boats out and paddling on the river, to mountain biking, fishing, hiking and swimming. They also have a tennis court and games room so there is plenty to do. I met so many wonderful people over the 2 days and found myself enjoying many a drink at the bar whilst watching the Super 15 rugby matches. The décor and the design of the hotel is “old school” and dates back to the 70’s but I actually really like that about the place. There is so much history behind this hotel and if you take a minute to appreciate that you will understand why they have kept the look and feel of the hotel. I was shown photos of the bar area in the 1970’s and it was packed wall to wall with people enjoying a party. Apparently this was the place to be back then and I met so many people who had been coming to the hotel frequently since then because of the infectious vibe the place has.
The hotel is under new management and they are clearly doing a great job. They are always helpful and will attend to you every need. There were great dinner specials on offer each night and the food was very good. The breakfast buffet also had a great selection of food items over and above the usual bacon, egg and sausages.
All in all my favourite holiday destination so far. I have stayed all over the country in hotels and B&B’s and I can tell you that this place truly has a special place in my heart after only my first visit. I will be coming back soon!!!!

Room Tip: Get the river facing rooms!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DylanW101
Somerset West
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We have not visited the hotel for a number of years so decided to take our grandchildren and friends for the weekend. What a wonderful time was had by all, it felt like coming home. The best was not having to worry about the kids as there was more than enough to keep them safely occupied, even at meal times they were looked after by the friendly dining room staff, reception helped them with various keys, oars and paddles for the kiddies activities. They and ourselves have decided, 2 nights is definitely not enough time, so we are planning a longer visit in the near future.
Our rondavel no 14 was spotless, bed very comfortable, linen clean although not 5 star standard we were quite happy.

Room Tip: Our bungalow number 14 was spotless, granted the linen is not of 5 star quality but we normally take...
1 Thank Kay884
Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We spent 2 days at the Fairy Knowe Hotel over a weekend in February 2012 in a wonderful river facing room. The room was large,airy and light with a nice veranda right next to the river and nature reserve. The resort is a mix old heritage and 70's styles which gave one a nostalgic warm feeling that felt comfortable.

The large variety breakfast buffet which included fresh fruit was tasty and cooked to perfection. The dinners were really well presentedand rich in flavor with the lamb being my personal favourite!
There are plenty of on site ammenties to cater for young and old and swimming in the crystal blue swimming pool or using the rowing or paddle boats for a river outing is a must!

The staff amd management were super friendly and went out of their wa to provide us with anything we needed.

We will be back!!!
Petra, Mark and Emma

Room Tip: River Front rooms are what is about!!!!
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I have been going to the Fairy Knowe for the past 20 years with my family. I feel that it is like coming home every time we visit. I was really sad to see some of the complaints which i also find really hard to believe based on our past experiences with the resort. Fair enough, the resort is a three star venue and the building does date back to 1924, i have always found that the rooms are more than adequate, clean with fresh linen, bathroom/shower en-suite, tea and coffee stations , DSTV and pretty much everything you would expect from a three star family resort.

The whole resort is very well maintained and although a bit of modernizing especially in the rooms would be a great improvement, we found that we spent so little time in the rooms that it was really not a priority or prerequisite for our holiday enjoyment. The resort has loads of things to do including fishing on the river banks right outside of your room, tennis courts, swimming pool, paddling boats, rowing boats, bicycle hire, hiking trails, games room, restaurant, bar, pool table and the best beaches on the Garden Route are only 5 minutes away.

The service that we have received over the years has always been great with the owner and staff always going out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. The food is good and the prices are reasonable.

My advice would be that if you are looking for a reasonably priced old style family resort situated in one of the most beautiful riverside settings on the Garden Route and especially if you are a nature lover then the Fairy Knowe is the right place for you to try. On the other hand If you want modern, upmarket rooms with all the bells and whistles and plan to spend most of your time in the room then don't choose this resort.

St.Thomas

Room Tip: Always ask for a riverside room preferably on the ground floor and not a Garden facing room as this...
2 Thank Sean L