Garden Route Horse Trails
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Remarkable horse trails into the indigenous forests of the Garden Route National Park. Occasional sightings of wildlife. All are welcome whether novice or expert rider. Trails range form 1,5 hours to the most popular 3 hour waterfall trail. Come swim with the horses or enjoy a picnic at the waterfall. Bookings are essential. Safe, well trained, bombproof reliable horses. Come for a relaxing walk or adventurous full gallop through the beautiful scenery. Open 7 days a week 365 days a year form sunrise to sunset.
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing experience my fiancé and I had on our trail. Our guide Paul was so accommodating and patient as we are beginners, but he made us feel safe and confident.6 out of 5 in my books. Everyone should go and experience this.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 2 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My daughter and I were looking forward to a horse ride with a bit of a trot. We were joined by a family with young children who were very nervous. The guide was brilliant with them and tried to make it more exciting for us, but they were having none of it, so the ride was very slow and boring. I think a family like that should be assessed and taken on a trail on their own so it doesnt impact on the other people on the ride who are able to go a bit faster!!

GRHorseTrails, Owner at Garden Route Horse Trails, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Terribly sorry that u feel that the ride was dissapointing. As we try to cater for all levels of experience, this in some exeptional cases might happen. Bookings are made and coordinated wrt riding experience and age. Sometimes funny how all riders are experienced untill they are on the horse. Please feel free to revisit and I will personally see to it that u have a more exhilirating ride. Regards, Ryno

Reviewed October 30, 2013

A wonderful way to see the countryside around Wilderness and enjoy meeting the locals! Chantelle runs an excellent riding stables in a lovely quiet and remote location. The horses are very well trained, without that bored 'follow-the-tail-in front' attitude that you see in so horses from riding stables in the UK. My boyfriend has less experience than me and his horse listened carefully until he got more confident and asked his horse to do a little more, providing an excellent mix of reassurance and challenge.

The real star of the show however is Chantelle. She is an excellent horsewoman. She knows her horses and the local area inside-out, as well as being fantastic company - she really made the experience a thoroughly enjoyable one, and we learnt a lot about South Africa in the process.

It was a joy to meet you Chantelle, and I wish you the best of luck for the future. Jules and Tom, May 2013

1  Thank Julia R
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Had a lovely ride through an indigenous forest - very quiet and peaceful. The horses were beautiful and our Cossack leader was great!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 1, 2011

In March and April 2011 I volunteered for one month at this place. I had a great time guiding horse trails to the waterfall and to the beautiful forest. Its an amazing and peaceful landscape. Edda and Brus know a lot of horses and they care for them with a lot of love. Not only for the horses but also for their other animals. As its rather a small farm they have a personal relationship to every horse of whom many are rescue horses. They trained them so well that they all became very reliable. However the horses still have their own character. So I can really recommend a horse trail at wilderness adventures!

1  Thank schruegge