“Supper”

Salinas Beach Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Wilderness
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated at the Touw's river mouth in the Wilderness, facing west with sea and lagoon views serving island style cuisine. Sunsets on the upper deck with a cocktail, add a whole new dimension to the end of a beautiful day and start of a great evening.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Fresh fish & awesome view on deck of coastline! Affordabilty and good service contributed to a romantic & cosy evening!

There are newer reviews for Salinas Beach Restaurant

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Fantastic food and a great view, on a good weather day! The Tapas platters are very big and could easily be a meal on it's own. Great food and friendly service!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had lunch here while visiting our family stationed in Pretoria. The fish was very fresh and tastefully prepared. The views from the wide terraces were stunning as well.

A lovely stop-over between Jeffreys and Mossels Bays

Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic food, great view, perfect steak and coffee, great company! Thanks Wikus for great service! What a lovely evening.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The stunning location is bound to impress, the decor tastefully uncomplicated. The menu offers enough variety without becoming overwhelming. But I had to call on the intervention of a very helpful manager when I requested a slight variation from the menu due to my dietary needs. The food was well prepared and flavoursome but somehow lacked the wow factor to match the setting. But overall my first impression was quite positive and I recommended Salinas to everyone. My second and third visits offered me the opportunity to try some of the other items on the menu that had by now become quite familiar. And by the fourth visit you are stuck. The menu has not changed and does not offer new experiences, Even the specials are predictable and repetitive, The menu has not evolved and has lost the allure and promise experienced with the first visit. So for the fist time visitor it offers a good experience. But in the long term it fails to deliver and is reduced to a very average experience which is not matched by the breathtaking location.

Massimo M, Owner at Salinas Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback and I will take this opportunity to attempt to explain our position. Sadly in today's age this is done on a web based forum,lacks that personal touch and available for the world to read. It is far more challenging to continually maintain the interest of your local clientele and takes more effort, but is very rewarding. I have numerous guests who have become friends rather than clients and who will often call me to ask what fresh fish we are able to purchase or request something special. This is where the challenge comes, as in summer when you are serving as many as 800 guests in a day you must still be able to give your friends that same experience. As I am sure you will agree, running "specials" at this period is also extremely difficult. In winter last year we ran a winter warmer menu with an additional 10 items on our menu from curries to slow cooked beef short rib and had a very positive response. We also served different seasonally available products such as kudu fillet.

I will try and respond to your various points.
1. I had to directly call on the intervention of a helpful manager- initially appears negative but the fact that there was one available and he was helpful is positive. That is what a manager and owner is meant to do. Rather that the waiter, who may not make the right decision.

2. Food is well prepared and flavorsome - thank you, I would have liked to have seen that review with a 4/5 star recommendation. Pity, I don't know if you are aware but only 4/5 stars assist with your rankings within this very subjective, debatable and controversial forum . Further they never will disappear no matter how hard you work to improve your product. I recently searched for the top restaurants in the Western Cape and could not stop laughing at the how pathetic this ranking system is. In George the top restaurant is a "take away and eatery" and they are also in the top 2 in the Western Cape out of 2400 venues graded!!! Higher than Serendipity, can you imagine the shock if a foreign visitor decided to try this highly ranked restaurant.

3. Menu has not changed- the core of our menu and the variety tries to cater for a varied clientele and their dietary needs. From vegetarian dishes, to pork ribs , peri peri chicken, Thai dishes , sirloin steak to various fish dishes which have grown based on specials we ran and the response we received. For example, the Chermoula and Thermidor fish, were all additional items prepared in winter. As for our specials, we do not indicate on the menu the species of fish available as most restaurants do, as ours is what is 'freshly" available and not recently defrosted. You would not believe what a challenge it is to purchase fresh fish in this new world of food processing....insane.
Consequently once our waiters have introduced themselves they will inform the guests of what fish we were able to procure. There have been occasions when there is no fish available and we have had none to offer. That is a decision we took and has not been the easiest to work around and can be very disappointing to the guests that came specifically for the fresh fish BUT so rewarding from all the positive feedback I have had. In November I had one of the best comments " Your view is almost as good as the fish I just ate".
You can never please everyone and the expectations when you first walk into Salinas must be huge, you just have to ask the three owners who watched her being built. There is no comparable and accessible location on our coast with a lift to assist handicapped guests, and it comes with its challenges. Meeting expectations and being successful in our seasonal environment and catering to the varied guest we meet daily will crush most, but we continue to work and try to improve. We are proud people who have a responsibility to over 50 directly employed staff and have built a product that makes most Wilderness residents proud and they constantly will bring their visitors to us to impress them. When it comes to meeting expectations just note how diverse and subjective our world is. On the same day as you posted your review another guest gave us a 5 star review in German "Tasty with a great View" - great varied food!!!
You are a Wilderness resident and also the second Peter s's in the Wilderness to give us a 3 star review, please please feel free to contact me and allow me to become your friend. It will change your experience.

Ciao Massimo