“Not a nice experience at all!!”

Salinas Beach Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Wilderness
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated at the Touw's river mouth in the Wilderness, facing west with sea and lagoon views serving island style cuisine. Sunsets on the upper deck with a cocktail, add a whole new dimension to the end of a beautiful day and start of a great evening.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I wish that I could say that my partner and I had a great experience at Salinas, but we did not. Last minute we decided that we want to go to Wilderness to go have dinner, as all our friends and family recommended Salinas we decided that this would be a nice please to go. So I give them a call, JP (I assumed is the Manager) said that there will be space for us. Upon arrival we got the "cocky greeting from a manager; "Just wait i will help you now". We ask to sit outside but we were placed in the garden, it would have been nice if we came for cocktail at 17:00 but we came for dinner, we waited about 10 min for the waiter (I don’t mind that as I know how busy things can get) after getting our drinks we tried to look at the Menu, but I had to use my cell phone light to read the menu, I could just as well read there menu on the internet. After our drinks were done we waited about 35 minutes but no waiter, the manager walked passed us after him seeing me calling him. We just got up and looked for our waiter paid and left. As we are both in this industry we know how things should be and should not be, and this is not it. I really hope that this place will improve and that we will get better service next time.

3  Thank Erene B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Good menu at affordable prices with a great view over the Wilderness beach.
Our group had spare ribs and grilled fish of the day and it was cooked to perfection. Recommended.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My BF and I decided to go to Salina's for a sundowner last month and had such a great time. We have been several times before and have always enjoyed the food. This time was different; we ordered several tapas dishes and love them all. One of the owners came and chatted to us and made us feel right at home. Thumbs up people!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great venue, bad service, terrible food and totally over priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank alwaysonsafari
Massimo M, Owner at Salinas Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hi alwaysinsafari
my name is Massimo and and I spend most of my time at Salinas and believe me its not a Safari. My managers, staff and I work hard trying to please our guests and obviously did not get it right in your case. I assume that no one in authority was visible so that you could voice your displeasure? Expensive I dispute, a 300 gm Sirloin steak with a sauce, vegetables and potato wedges for R110, grilled fresh fish for R90,a 200gm hamburger served on a ciabattini roll with salad and chips for R68 or a bottle of Klein Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc for R85!!! I have met and interacted with thousands of guests in the last 3 months that rave about our fresh fish and awesome aged sirloin steak and dealt with guests that raised a complaint at the table and we were able to resolve the issue. We are not perfect and serving hundreds of guests every day with different expectations and all the variables is a challenge but if we are alerted we always endeavour to please. I can be contacted at 044 877 0001 or on my cell 083 636 3949. You live in our small village of the Wilderness and I would really like to meet you.
Yours faithfully
Massimo

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very relaxed atmosphere, good food and a beautiful view of the ocean at Wilderness! We visited the restaurant a couple of times and every time the food was great, the service was attentive and friendly and the view spectacular! A great find and we will visit again. The tapas are great, so is the salmon salad.

Massimo M, Owner at Salinas Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Songbird
Many thanks for the review. I must say that since I noted your name on trip advisor its stuck in my mind. I woke up recently having heard a fish eagle and listened for the next 5 minutes to a loerie, weavers , fork tailed drongo's and realized how fortunate we are to live in such a special area and then I thought of your review and how positive most of your reviews are. You obviously have the right attitude and attract the right experience.
Thanks you