“Not worth the wait”

Beejuice Cafe
Ranked #14 of 30 Restaurants in Wilderness
Cuisines: European, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beejuice Cafe is situated at the Old Railway Station in Wilderness, surrounded by beautiful gardens and the old railway line. We are easily accessible from the N2 (turn left off the N2 just before heading up the Kaaimans Pass towards George - left again brings you to the tracks - you will spot us!) We are a stone's throw from the beach and dogs are welcome on a lead
uk
“Not worth the wait”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Judging by the previous reviews, I guess we came on an 'off day'. I'm not sure they really wanted customers on the day we visited. The first waitress muttered something about not allowing any more people to sit down for lunch that day. The second chap was a bit more friendly but told us there would be a long wait for food. We then ordered some sandwiches and settled in for our promised wait. 55minutes later our sandwiches arrived. We had a mixture of beef, spicy chicken strips and toasted cheese. They all came on cheap sliced slightly old bread. The beef was sliced from a packet and came with a minuscule side salad and some ok mustard and cottage cheese 'relish', no butter. Toasted cheese was that plastic kind you get in slices. Spicy chicken was tasty enough but the avo was crunchy. So we waited nearly an hour for a handful of perky sandwiches and a mix of rude and apologetic service. My question for he owners- why open if you don't want to serve customers??

samburgundy, Owner at Beejuice Cafe, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Chieftany
Firstly let me begin by apologising for you not enjoying your visit.
Secondly: we opened on New Years day due to demand from our loyal followers as no where else was going to be open! I knew it was going to be tough, given staffing, the previous night being New Years eve etc.
I do come with quite a bit of experience which is why after having already sat a full seating 3 times I advised my staff to stop taking tables - ask anyone when all customers literally sit down at the same time - albeit 3 times - it is extremely stressful.
We had a limited menu due to it being a non delivery day and did our best.
Although the bread was not my usual supply - we just don't get stock in this area during season, I bought that bread fresh from my local spar the day before. However, the avo, I apologise should never have been plated if it was crunchy as it is seasonal and could have rather been left off. I usually only use a very fine cheddar for our toasties, but once againhad to resort to our local pic n pay for the cheese and I can assure you, contrary to your assumption, it was NOT processed or packet sliced. As for the roast beef, it comes to us vacuum seead from one of the best delicatesens in this area, I have never had a complaint, did you perhaps assume I roast a leg of beef at more than R200 to add to a sandwich fresh each day? I have lived in the UK and wouldn't buy roast beef sarnies or fear of it being last weeks roast joint! Cottage cheese on the side is our own quirky accompaniment, which again, most find quite an attractive condiment, we don't butter the sandwiches both sides, but would have happily brought you some had you asked.
But all in all, I will apologise for ruining your day, but not for opening up my restaurant at the request of so many! To get a lousy review on New Years Day, and it being our first could be looked at as a bad omen, but I shall take it in my stride and wish you all the best for 2013!
Kind regards
Sam and Llewellyn Appleby

Centurion, South Africa
“Great for kids and the service was excellent”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were looking for a relaxed place to have supper with our 2 yr old and what a lekker place we found via trip advisor!!

London, United Kingdom
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We found this lovely place quite by accident, after a lovely hour on the beach. You wouldn't know it's here- its on the tracks of the old railway and serves fabulous platters, and the fish was superb.
Very child and dog friendly, lovely friendly owner and good wine.
What more could you ask for?

Better than the busiertown centre cafes, we will be back

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank laura h
cape twn
“Best Sunday roast and pudding!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Brillant !tasty and so well presented ! Love the ambiance of the old railway station!!
Friendly staff ! and just a short walk away from the guest house!

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Does a great breakfast”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great breakfast, good food, different to most other restaurants.

Visited August 2011