“Great Food, Service and Atmosphere”

Zucchini Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 31 Restaurants in Wilderness
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Zucchini is blushing from all the attention... Voted in the "Top 20 Culinary Destinations" in the Garden Route for three years running as voted by the Chaines des Rotisseurs. Also voted best "Family Restaurant" in the Garden route for the last two years. If walls of this honest country restaurant could talk the conversation would include words of fresh,vibrant, from scratch, home grown organic and compliments to the chef. To us simplicity is the key. You can expect dishes filled with flavour, a taste experience for the natural foodie. Zucchini Restaurant is in the Timberlake Organic Village in Wilderness. We offer a selection of Vegetarian meals but also offer game dishes like the "Springbok Shank" or our "Trio of Carpaccio". A mix of local-made micro brews from the tap! 32 Different types of local beers to taste, not to be missed. Play park for the kids, and a host of activities to keep them busy while you relax on our couches and sip a glass of wine.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Upon arriving on this cold winter evening to the empty restaurant, we were greeted by our waitress at the door. We sat close to the fire which was great. The restaurant is cosy and had very rustic decor which gave it personality. Our waitress was attentive and provided great service the entire evening. The menu has a large variety of dishes, each with their own unique spin. We shared the Gesondheid uit die grond uit (vegetarian platter), the beef burger and started with the warm homemade mini farm loaf. Not only did each dish look absolutely amazing they tasted equally as good. Their portions are VERY generous and are so delicious making this meal great value for money. Their wine list is impressive and there is even a kids menu for the little ones. Overall a truly amazing and memorable meal.

Stephan H, Owner at Zucchini Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

It is such a pleasure hearing clients that had an special night with us, we are know for our warm and cosy winter nights so it spoils us to know that you had a night to remember.

We are also grateful for your kind words about our portioning and paring of our dishes.

Regards

Reviewed July 8, 2014

This place gets some lovely reviews, so we thought we'd stop for lunch on our way from Plett to George with our two boys.

It's specifically advertising itself as a family restaurant, but if you are taking children under the age of five, bear in mind the floor in the outside eating area is very uneven (we saw two children from other families have nasty falls) and it opens directly out onto the car park. There is a playground in the Timberlakes village, but not at Zuchinni.

The children's menu is limited, but quite healthy.

The adults' menu is extensive. However, and perhaps we just chose badly, our food wasn't at all good. We sent back a LOT of uneaten food, the waitress didn't bat an eyelid, let alone ask if everything had been okay with the food.

That brings me on to the service. It wobbled between impersonal and downright dangerous. When we asked if they had any cake for pudding, we were directed at the coffee shop across the road and told to go and buy some there. So we did.

'Clearing' the table involved taking away unfinished drinks and dropping a steak knife on the floor. I didn't realise she hadn't picked it up. Luckily I went round to my son's side of the table to see it wedged, blade side up, between two of the tree stumps that the floor is made up of. If he'd trod on it by accident....

The cherry on the cake was when a single lady took the last table outside, in the middle of three families, and started to chain smoke. If you are running a family friendly restaurant, in my opinion, I don't think you should subject children to cigarette smoke. Zuchinni gladly provided her with an ashtray.

So, not our cup of tea, we will most certainly not be returning or recommending it to our friends.

Stephan H, Owner at Zucchini Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Hello ElsieBear

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Yes you must have caught us on a bad day, If the waitress did not seem too enthusiastic then you definitely did not catch us on top form, as it is not usual with our style of serving.

I might just add that sending you to our coffee shop that is right next door if you wanted a specific cake was maybe because they have a display fridge stocked with six different cakes, where we only stock cheesecake, and we don’t mind where you buy our delicious cakes from (including our RAW vegan cake) as long as you at least try one. But the correct answer should have been that she should have offered to go get a specific slice of cake you wanted, apologies for that.

On the subject of smoking, it is a very difficult situation, we personally don’t smoke nor do we encourage it, but we only have 5 table where smokers can sit outside which is not under a roof and at least 5 meters away from any door or window as the current rules state. And just as you are upset, so will the next table be when they can not smoke in an outside courtyard, but we will review your request to ban smoking in the outside seating areas and make an decision that benefits all our customers.

Please expand on the reasons you did not like the items ordered so we could find out what was at fault. If you send me an email I'll make sure you get the meals ordered on the house next time you come around, made just the way you like it.

I can see by the points you brought up in your review that you where expecting a sort of indoor enclosed toddler play park in the fashion of other kiddie restaurants common in malls. We are known as a family restaurant because we have multiple activities for all ages, from jungle gyms to tree-top zip-lining for the more active youngsters and mini train-rides for the young ones, all within shouting distance from your table. That means the whole family has something to do, with dads tasting our Micro-Beer selection and moms with the retails stores on offer. It is the reason we have been awarded the "Family Restaurant" award for two years now.

We are grateful for your input and it does not fall on deaf ears, hope to see you again.

Regards

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stopped here for lunch and had a pasta for lunch before driving to George. The restaurant was empty inside but there were a few tables that were booked outside. The service wasn't very good and I had to get up to ask for a fork and serviette. The food looked good and didn't taste half bad but once I left I started to get stomach cramps and had to pull off in the Wilderness to rush to a toilet. I don't think the hygiene in the restaurant is very good!

Stephan H, Owner at Zucchini Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hi Jose!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review between your busy stops. I know how untimely an upset stomach can be during a road trip. And I apologise to being the last place you visited before your stomach started becoming uncooperative. My stomach is sensitive as well, and sometimes these reviews actually gives me the runs!

The only thing I would like to query is your appraisal of the kitchen as being “dirty”, as I can assure you we cook not only for you, but a whole lot of other customers as well, and surely then instead of a 90% positive rating we would suffer from a string of similar complaints. As you did not see the kitchen, and I believe you were just saying so believing it was our food that made your stomach cramp (the second you put it in your mouth) I can assure you that you are wrong in your assumptions.

Feel free to visit us again, and ask for a tour of the kitchen if you like, to put your stomach at rest before you dine.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

What a lovely surprise, this tucked away restaurant we visited in April 2014! Were received very friendly and the manager introduced us to some local beers that we enjoyed. There Burgers is out of this world – we never had something so special before in our life’s. A must try when you visit!! Large portions and really tasty! We will definitely visit again on our next vacation. Thanks Charmaine and Sarel Langeveldt (Irene – Gauteng).

Thank you for your positive review!

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and when you return we are working on a whole micro beer menu to introduce you to our local and unique offerings.

Also a beer tasting menu is brewing so please do stop by next time you on holiday again!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We beeing vegetarian - ordered a burger and a veg platter
The burger was a chcikpea pattice burger - but the same was not upto the mark - was average. The platter too competely ok

Not value for money