“Remote but worth it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn

Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn
“Remote but worth it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Being on the Hopi land was very special. The cultural center is the only gig in town but it is nice. The service and staff were excellent. The rooms were nothing fancy but they were VERY clean- everything you need: comfortable bed, A/C and a good water pressure shower :) You are welcomed with a warm smile and all the info you need for your stay there.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Ipohk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

As mentioned below, this facility has undergone a renovation. The design is a pleasing southwestern one. It’s definitely much better than what it apparently was before as is evident in the recent versus older reviews.

The temperature in late May had a high of about 90 degrees. Although the air conditioning was off when we entered the room, it was relatively cool—fortunately. That is because the through-the wall a/c unit, made by Amana, was absolutely the loudest one I’ve ever encountered. The fan made so much noise and seemed to run at a very high speed even on the low position. It would be quite annoying if it were in a store. In a room where you sleep, it would make sleep nearly impossible unless you used ear plugs and took a sleeping pill. I mentioned this to reception when we checked out. Happily it cooled off as the sun set so we didn’t have to run it at night. Other than this problem, the room was quite comfortable. Since no one else has mentioned this problem, maybe it is limited to the room we stayed in—room 107 if my memory is correct.

Also, don’t stay in the room next to the back gate. The metal gate makes a loud clang when it swings closed. They should be able to correct this issue.

As mentioned in another review, the water has been “softened” so it feels like you can’t wash off soap. This is just a false sensation and not a problem if you understand this effect. It probably isn’t a good idea to drink this water because I think sodium is used in the “softening “process. I don’t think the water in the restaurant has been “softened.”

The sink is at the far end of the room along with a closet bar and hangers for your clothes. The bathtub and toilet were in a small room next to this. I think this a more efficient arrangement but it wouldn’t work well for anyone who is obese because the bath/toilet area is quite small.

Although we only occasionally turned on the TV, when we had one during this trip, on this particular night there were some ABC programs we enjoy. The TV only displayed a blank screen when turned to that station while all of the other stations worked. They did a listing of what was on each channel and that is something I really appreciate and apparently the list was correct.

I believe the only other choices for lodging in this area are Tuba City (1 hour), Winslow (1.5 hr.), Ganada (1.5 hr.) or Chinle (1.5+ hr). If they would fix the air conditioning noise this would be a quite good place to stay.

The restaurant has also been recently renovated. It looks like a new Denny’s done in a nice southwestern style. They had some native American selections on the menu. We didn’t try any because they were all very carb laden. Many local Hopi were eating in the restaurant. The high carb diet was very evident in the shockingly large percentage of locals being morbidly obese. One can understand the epidemic of diabetes in this population. This is likely a result of no longer having to carry water and everything else up and down the mesas. That and now having a plentiful supply of food. Even some of the young children were significantly overweight and were eating portions of ice cream that would be large even for an adult.

I believe the only other places to eat are in Tuba City or Keams Canyon. The wait staff had been trained well and gave good, efficient, friendly service. Their professionalism was obvious in how they spoke to the customers and how they served the food.

They did have a meager salad bar but I think I was the only one that took advantage of it in this popular restaurant. The food we had was good/average. They claim to have a chef with a good culinary background. The apparent consistent decent quality of the food might reflect this but the food is nothing memorable although the prices are generally low.

We took the walking tour on First Mesa and it was quite interesting and covered the basics of the Hopi native religion and yearly cycle of rituals. Although they say that the first tour is at 9 am and the last at 3 pm it might only be 10 to 2. There were only 2 other people on the tour besides us. It was a very windy day and that might have warned people away. Only about six villagers here had things for sale. Some had interesting “modern,” non-traditional versions of Katchina dolls.

The next day we took a walking tour on the Second Mesa. It was as fascinating and started with an exceptionally well done DVD movie. They didn’t appear to have it for sale but you might ask them. Dorothy who narrated the movie was our guide. There is an effort to make sure the Hopi traditions/religion and language is regained and preserved while living life with more creature comforts than earlier generations.

We also parked at the edge of Old Orabi at the gift show and walked to the other side of the village where we could see the ruins of the Catholic church that was hit FOUR times by lightning. People still live in this village without running water. They aren’t connected to the electrical grid but they do have solar panels that, I believe, power TVs and some refrigerators

The prices are somewhat less when buying directly from the artisans than in the good number of shops along route 264. But I understand that the prices here are less than in any shop off the reservation. We experienced few artisans in the villages. A few artisans come to the Hopi Cultural Center parking so check that out. We bought a beautifully painted boomerang-shaped “rabbit stick” for $20. I don’t know if this was authentic to the Hopi but I think it is really nice and a steal at that non-haggled price.

This is an area that is well worth visiting. Do some reading about the Hopi culture before you come and your visit will be much more meaningful and enjoyable. Check out the experiencehopi and hopiculturalcenter websites for more information. I hope to visit this area again sometime.

Room Tip: Check to see if all rooms have the very noisy air conditioner mine had.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AllenDC
HopiCulturalCenter, General Manager at Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and noticing the recent renovations. The renovation is still not complete but it's looking great so far! We're sorry about the AC unit and are replacing those as well. The back gate has been brought to my attention when walking the grounds and have our personnel taking care of the issue. The water is soft but it is filtered in the restaurant and both are suitable for drinking. Upon your return, I'm sure you'll notice a few changes on the menu as we are also in the process of updating it. If you have any other suggestions, please let us know. Thank you and we look forward to your return!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed two nights at the hotel and for the most part things went well. There are some problems with the water (saline and very soft water) and the electricity can be sporadic - but that is life in the mesas. BUT do not try the local hominy/lamb "stew" at the restaurant. It consisted of 3 very small pieces of lamb and very bland and watery hominy (for about 10$); it was terrible and in no way should carry the name "stew." The folks at the hotel and restaurant were nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank traveler4161
Thank you for brininging the issue of the stew to our attention. We have taken the necessary steps so this doesn't happen again. We take pride in our Hopi specialties and ensure they are authentic tasting. Thank you for your kind words on the staff.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

MMM.. blue corn Hopi taco! Enough said. (Oh, and, our server, Marshall, was very nice!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JG166
Thank you for your kind words! We receive many compliments on the blue frybread. Sadly, Marshall is now at the motel front desk but you may see him as a server every now and then! Our other servers are just as friendly as Marshall! I'll pass the word on to him for your kind words!
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Room was clean and well maintained. The restaurant serves authentic Hopi food at a very reasonable price. I was there in pre-season so the staffing was a bit on the low side. Service was slow in the restaurant just about every meal. The library and cultural center were closed. This is a central location that allows access to all of the mesas in Hopiland. There is a market 20 minutes west at Kykotsmovi; has an ATM.

Room Tip: Can't help you here. They have added flat screen TVs to the rooms but the noise through the wal...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dadzone
We are so sorry the service was slow. We take pride im keeping our service levels high and will relay this to the management team. Just a side note: The museum is run by a different entity and we don't regulate their hours. As far as the library, we don't have one here but maybe it was the visitor's center? The visitor's center will be up and running 7 days a week from 10 am -6 pm beginning June 18th!
Mercer Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Staying in the Hopi Suite was a nice treat and larger than my last two apartments so probably about 1000 square feet and for only 10 dollars more per person each night? Totally worth it for the space and it is upstairs from the regular rooms. The only negative is that the bed shakes due to it's location over what I think is the kitchen's a/c unit below. Simply not a problem though because it stops at night after the restaurant closes (which doesn't stay open late). Suite has a very small shower but the shower pressure is very good. Clean, comfortable with two sofas in the living room (one pull out, I believe) and a flat screen television with one premium channel (I think either HBO or Showtime) included in the line up should you just want to kick back and rest for a bit etc.
Also in the suite is a kitchen! Fully furnished with what you'd need should you want to cook your own meals (sans food, of course, as you'd need to bring your own). Refrigerator included as well and this was nice because we had fruit and beverages to be chilled.

The front desk staff were very, very helpful and friendly. The blue corn (Hope maize) pancakes from the restaurant were delicious! Bring your appetities because the servings are aplenty and the prices absolutely reasonable.

Enjoy your stay at the only hotel on the Second Mesa (and First and Third, for that matter) and you're guaranteed to have a rewarding and cultural experience knowing that YOU helped the Hopi economy in a big way along with experiencing such a rich history within the Hopi walls.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Hopi Suite, if available!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MASTERPC
HopiCulturalCenter, General Manager at Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. The Hopi suite was one of the very first rooms remodeled last year with flooring and new furniture. We're sorry about the shaking bed and are looking into the problem. The sofa is a futon that pulls out and the movie channel is showtime. We look forward to seeing you when you pass through again!
Front Royal, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I enjoyed two great days on First and Second Mesa. I spent two nights at the Hopi Cultural Center Hotel. I found the folks running the Cultural Center and Hotel to be very nice and helpful. The room was basic but very clean. It feels good knowing that staying on the reservation I was helping out their economy. I enjoyed several meals at the Cultural Center restaurant. It was fun eating blue corn pancakes for breakfast. Very hearty breakfast. I also enjoyed a bowl of the blue corn hominey soup. Hopi is an amazing reservation. I met some wonderful artist. If you enjoy Native American Silver work, Pottery, katsina dolls or baskets, you will love the Hopi reservation. I brought home many new treasures for my collection. What makes it even more special....... I bought them direct from the artists. I met some wonderful people and got to visit some old friends in my two short days. Weaver (silver smith) and Alberta (basket maker) Selena are wonderful people. I enjoyed visiting w/ them two of the days I was there. I brought home some beautiful baskets from Alberta. I also got to meet and bring home some wonderful pottery from Jean Sahmie and Garrett Maho. Shop... enjoy... know you are making a difference in an artist life. Your purchase can mean that they will be eating dinner tonight!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank onanoak
HopiCulturalCenter, General Manager at Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are still in the process of completeing the renovation of rooms. We look forward to your next visit with us! Thank you!

Been to Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn? Share your experiences!