“Amazing week!”

Umbrella Tree House
Ranked #12 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Staying at the Umbrella Tree House was a highlight of our time in Durban. Lesley and family are fantastic hosts and a wealth of information. We settled in for a full week with 6 of us of all ages and we all loved it. The accommodation, hospitality, location were all fantastic. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this property!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tara T
LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hi Tara, thanks so much for the review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. It was lovely having you guys here, I really enjoyed the chats. Hope Libby enjoyed it. Maybe see you again someday :)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Lovely stay, just would have been nice to have clean towels and a made bed on the second day of our stay, even though it was christmass, we were still paying for the service.. Otherwise, it was comfortable with lovely views, good location

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thanks for the review and the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, short as it was. For the benefit of others reading this review I feel I must just explain. Usually over Christmas I only take self-caterers, the only reason I had accommodation available was due to a cancellation. In all my emails I state 'rooms are serviced daily except Sundays and Public Holidays'. In fact, we do service all days of the year except Christmas Day and New Year's Day. My staff and I work really hard throughout the year, including all weekends, so I feel it is right to give them those days off. With regards to paying for the service, due to the cancellation my rooms were priced at a discounted price. I checked with the local hotels and their charge was more than double my charge, so I felt it was a bargain. But in any event, even if the rooms had been serviced, we do not change the towels daily. According to my star grading we only need to change towels every 3 days, certainly not after only one night's stay - that would be expected at a 5-star establishment. The reasons I don't change towels more frequently are cost of laundering and it is extremely environmentally unfriendly to wash excessively. We do try to be as 'green' as possible recycling and reducing unnecessary water and electricity usage.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Thank You Lesley, our family had a wonderful stay at your B & B in December 2013. The rooms were lovely and the view awesome, although we spent most of the time on the deck together. The facilities were more than ample & we felt like we were "home" away from home" The only complaint is that our stay it wasn't longer!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Debbie, so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for the lovely review. Hopefully we'll see you again someday :)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a beautiful room at Umbrella Tree. The room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean! Nice view at see from the room. Good value for money. A short drive will take you to the restaurants / boulevard.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thanks for your review Janneke. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again someday :)

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were very comfortable during our one night stay at the Umbrella Tree House in Umhlanga. The rooms are cosy but light, with a pretty view of the ocean. Our hostess was more than hospitable, making sure that we had all we needed and going the extra mile by letting us make use of her printer. The breakfast was delicious and more than ample, with special touches that showed care and thought. I would suggest one improvement to the room and that would be to introduce an additional power point. In order to plug in my hairdryer we had to move the bed away from the wall and struggle to get to the wall socket. And the socket is on the opposite end of the wall to the dressing table and mirror, so not usable for that purpose.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for your lovely review! Sorry about the plug point. We did have an extension in the room which has been removed (a guest told us it didn't work) and we seem to have slipped up by not putting it back. Thanks for drawing my attention to it - I agree it is a pain to have to move the bed away :)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Umbrella Tree House is situated in a quiet location, with stunning views. My room was a nice size, well appointed, clean and with everything you needed. Breakfast was an absolute treat, great selection. Lesley is an ideal hostess, nothing is too much trouble. Would stay here again anytime, and recommend it to anyone attending nearby conferences, as I was, or just on business or holiday. Great value for money.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
LesPats, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thanks so much for the lovely review Julie - it was a pleasure having you - hopefully see you again someday :)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The place was very neat and tidy and it is always a pleasure going back to the place. It was the perfect location for where we needed to be for the conference. They were always willing to accomodate us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business