Sylvan Grove Guest House
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$126
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
$355
$344
Hotels.com
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
$93
$91
$80
$78
$102
$90
  • Breakfast included
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$115
$93
Agoda.com
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$178
$80
Agoda.com
The Oyster Box(Umhlanga Rocks)
$296
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsb bcooked breakfastone nightearly flightcomfortable roomumhlanga areaan absolute pleasurehonesty bargreat place to staynice stayhome away from homebed and breakfastshort driveenjoyed my stayexcellent breakfasteasy accessbusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The cruise was part of our 30th anniversary celebration and we needed to sleep-over in Durban before departing from the harbour. I wanted the sleep-over accommodation to be in line with our celebration - nothing bu the best would suffice! Sylvan Grove did not disappoint! Excellent experience from arrival to departure the next day. Highly commendable!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I live in the country and stay at Sylvan Grove on every visit to Durban.
The rooms are airy and cool, the beds are inviting (plump white duvets!) and the atmosphere is relaxing. Your host Jill bakes superb biscuits and the morning fruit salad is delicious. The Gateway shopping centre is a five minute drive away and the beach is reached in less than ten minutes. Sylvan Grove staff are polite, friendly and welcoming. The pool and garden are perfect for suntanning or reading under shady trees. I do recommend this establishment. Your hosts are helpful and professional, you will want to come again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I travel fairly widely throughout Southern Africa on both business and for pleasure.
I prefer to use guest house (B & B) type accomodation as I more often than not travel alone since my wife passed on. My recent stay at the Sylvan Grove guest House was most pleasant.
The accomodation is first class and most comfortable. The breakfast prepared by the ever pleasant and most gracious host Jill, sumptious - especially her speciality - omelets!; and ably assisted by husband Chris who with Jill made all visiors most welcome and kept us all informed. A B & B highly reccommended and I will return - I'll be back!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Three colleagues and I had to meet in Durban for two days and we were recommended to stay over at Sylvan Grove. The facilities were first class and we were able to meet comfortably in the lounge of the guest house. Not only was our accommodation very pleasant, Chris and Jill made us really feel at home and provided coffee and biscuits during our meetings. We will be very happy to return to Sylvan Grove.

Room Tip: Ask for Room number 3 it has a superb view of the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed for 5 days after spending 7 days in Durban CBD.
In comparison to Durban, Umhlanga was much more relaxing and safe. Each evening we drove down to the beach and strolled around the various restaurants,

The guest house is situated roughly, halfway between the Gateway shopping centre and the beach and shopping area's of Umhlangha,

Sylvan Grove was really the icing on the cake for our holiday. Jill and Chris, the proprietors, could not have been more helpful.

Our room was spotless and the modern bathroom which had one of the most amazing showers I've been in. There was plenty of wardrobe space and a well stocked minin bar.....wgich we did take advantage of. The room not only had air conditioning but also a ceiling fan. Our room also had a balcony, At breakfast not only can you have cereal and a cooked breakfast. But also home made muffins.....in this day and age of cutting back on everything to make the most amount of profit. It's nice to find a guest house that put's customer service over profit.

Can't fault anything about our stay......except should have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Room 2 has the best balcony for the sun in the morning......but later on the sun goes round the back of the house.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple