“Comrades weekend”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We booked our trip before we knew that this was Comrades Marathon weekend, there were some extremely fit looking people at the hotel who did not look so fit on Monday morning. We in contrast, did very little except sun bathe round the pool and read, it was very relaxing. All the staff were friendly and could not do enough for us.
The curry buffet in the restaurant was exceptional and the chefs were helpful in telling us what was "hot" my husband tried the vindaloo but only once.
Rooms were lovely and the overall experience was very good.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are lovely, we did not see any others.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your curry buffet experience in The Ocean Terrace restaurant.

I am thrilled to read that you relaxed and enjoyed your time at the pool and that you found everything to your liking.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

superb setting with excellent service and very friendly. A truly magnificent experience with superb cuisine. brilliant thank you. The standards are the best I have seen my first trip to SA and what an impression. I shall return. Thank you Rakesh for the photos you took for us my wife and I really enjoyed our visit. truly excellent.

Room Tip: The Indian ocean beckons.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay, in particular the superb cuisine and brilliant setting right on the beach with panoramic views over the ocean.

I hope it will not be too long before I am able to welcome you back again.

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at my one and only favourite "The Oyster Box Hotel" over the Comrades weekend for my birthday,what a wonderful experience.

A big up to the management and staff at the great OB!!! It is very rare to walk into a hotel and made to feel as if you are right at home, I was treated with such kindness and love from all the staff right from the lady who cleaned my magnificent room all the way to the security at the boom when I departed even tho they were so busy all the staff paid so much attention to each individual and their needs.

I was allocated a beautiful room with such a stunning view of the ocean and lighthouse where I had recieved a complimentary upgrade(could not have started my stay off to a better note). I had recived a suprise birthday cake in my room just from the lady at the reception picking up it was my birthday from my ID number during the check-in process. There was absolutely nothing to fault about this hotel, the food was by far my favourite part I mean who gets to indulge in oysters and champagne for breakfast and please dont get me started on the curry buffet "to die for ". On my birthday evening one of the managers suggest that we pay a visit to the Lighthouse bar, wow!!!! Blown away with the how good their cocktails were!!!!

I suggest that everyone puts The Oyster Box Hotel onto their next travel Itinerary,definitely cannot go wrong with such an exceptional place.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank barbsbailey

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to read that you chose to celebrate your birthday at The Oyster Box and that you immediately felt at home by the friendliness and kindness of the staff. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest's expectations of service and it is always positive to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am especially delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your luxurious accommodation with stunning views over the ocean and that you so enjoyed the sumptuous breakfasts and our famous curry buffet, together with the exceptional cocktails on offer in The Lighthouse Bar.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Full disclosure: We had a one night stay because of an extremely restrictive travel schedule. One would think that given our late arrival and early departure we’d be guests easily left to our own, with no needs or special attention necessary because we’d be gone before anyone other than the maids knew it. Not the case. To a person, we were treated as if it was our live-in hotel. For those of you who don’t like long reviews, let me say that you will not be disappointed if you book a stay here. In a word, incredible. Others please read on.

My fist direct contact the hotel staff was a few weeks before our arrival when I reached out to one of the hotel managers requesting information on where I might rent a surfboard first thing in the morning. I wanted to jump in and surf before we had to leave at 9 AM the morning after our arrival. She immediately put me in touch with another manager at the hotel who is an avid surfer. After a couple email exchanges, he made it clear that there would be a board waiting for me when I arrived. Sure enough, we walked into the room and there was a surfboard ready for me to use the next morning. He even had a local SA surf magazine and extra bar of wax waiting for me…totally over the top. I mean, who does that?

That evening, a nice bottle of Champagne was unexpectedly delivered to our room. It was evident that they were made aware of our 10 year wedding anniversary by our travel company. This too was over the top, but thoroughly enjoyed.

I was met early the next morning in the lobby by the individual responsible for lining up my rental surfboard. It simply would not do if he was to point me down the boardwalk to a suggested surf spot, as he insisted on escorting me to the best walkable location for me to surf. He even hung around for a short bit and snapped off a few pictures of me surfing. He had emailed them to me before I was even back at the hotel.

After an incredible breakfast (one of the nicest laid out brunch style meals we've seen), it was time to leave. I didn't go into details on the views, the grounds or perfect location of the site as that information is readily available. Let me simply say that all of that is perfect, and the only negative of our stay was that we didn't have several more days to enjoy one of the nicest hotels my wife and I have stayed in

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lock-N-Load765
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you chose to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary here and that you felt it was one of the most amazing hotels you have ever stayed in.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, especially that you felt so well looked after during your time with us. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest's expectations of service and it is always positive to hear that these efforts have been noticed. I will ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the team.

I am delighted that you found the buffet breakfasts to be plentiful and the location of the hotel just perfect with spectacular ocean views.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you might be able to stay for a little longer in order to enjoy all the facilities the hotel has to offer.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just spent the week end at The Oyster Box after the comrades!
Wow what a place, service is impeccable, staff are so friendly and well trained.
The service around the Pool is Phenominal!
we have stayed at other Umhlanga Hotels, but the rooms and service at the oyster Box is the best by far!
See you next year for the comrades.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with wonderful feedback following your recent weekend stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that you found the accommodation luxurious and comfortable.

Your kind words that the staff are well trained and friendly are most appreciated. We invest heavily in staff training in order to provide top class service for the enjoyment of the guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Went for High Tea, during the week on a Monday, for hubby's birthday.
Had excellent service, all friendly happy faces from the hostess to waitress. Expected it to not be that great on a weekday, but it wasn't. Looks of stuff to choose and eat :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful comments following your visit to The Oyster Box to enjoy our popular High Tea in The Palm Court.

I am delighted to hear that the friendly and efficient staff took great care of you and that you enjoyed the wide selection of both sweet and savoury items on the buffet.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I would like to really complement the Oyster box hotel on providing my wife and i with a spectacular stay. We had spent one night at the villa suite and we were amazed at the beauty, design, cleaniness and luxury of the rooms. The service was excellent and the staff were the most friendliest i have come across in the few hotels i have stayed in around the world. The Oyster box is really one of the most unique and exquisite luxury hotels in Kwa Zulu-Natal. Going forward i will highly reccomend this hotel. Once again thank you for the great service, the great food and the warm stay. This hotel deserves a 7 star rating for its views and luxury!!!! The location was extremely central to lots of tasty food joints, and lots of entertainment, the beach was spectacular in the mornings and watching the sunrise over the sea is a must for creating a long lasting beautiful memory.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the luxurious accommodation, the delicious food and the spectacular views over the ocean. The location of the hotel is perfectly positioned for ease of walking on to the beach in front of the hotel and up to the village.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly staff and excellent service. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.