The Oyster Box
$132
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
$85
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$102
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$109
$86
Agoda.com
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$112
$72
$82
  • Breakfast included
Beverly Hills(Umhlanga Rocks)
$493
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
$276
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
$237
$203
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,096 results
All reviewscurry buffetthe grilllighthouse barhigh teaoysterswayne coetzerocean terrace restaurantoyster barresident catgarden villaattention to detailour waitersea facing roomcolonial styleindian oceanbucket listtreated like royalty
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I have just returned from a week in South Africa which included a 3 night stay at The Oyster Box. This was my second stay at one of my favourite hotels in South Africa and once again it did not disappoint. From the moment I arrived the staff were both welcoming and attentive. My luxury seafacing room was spacious, luxurious and with superb facilities. The view of the coastline with the famous lighthouse was stunning and it was a real highlight each morning to wake up and draw back the shutters to be greeted by such a beautiful sight. I enjoyed 2 breakfasts and 1 evening dinner whilst at the hotel. The food was of the highest standard and so was the service. The only shame was that I was staying at the hotel whilst on a work trip so could not spend as much time enjoying this wonderful hotel as I would have liked. Next time I will have to stay as a holiday guest!
Overall a fantastic hotel and one that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a luxury hotel experience in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Go for a seafacing room as the views are stunning!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the spacious and luxurious accommodation with superb facilities, the stunning view of the coastline and ocean and the delicious meals from our restaurants.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff. I am pleased you found them to be friendly and attentive and that the service provided was of the highest standard.

I am so sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy the hotel due to work commitments, but that you will do so when next you stay on vacation.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Every opportunity i have, i pop in and have myself a Guiness Draught.

Why? Because i can and when you have a view like the one accompanied i see when drinking my Guiness, only then will you understand.

This Bar is a little pricey but who cares when you have the Dolphin Coast splendor at your door step

Room Tip: Dont bother about any other drink, just enjoy the Guiness
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your Guinness Draughts whilst relaxing and watching the spectacular views of the ocean from The Lighthouse Bar where one may sit and unwind.

I look forward to welcoming you back for many more draughts to come.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We spent the Easter weekend at the Oyster Box. The hotel takes your breath away when you walk in. The standard sea view room is really beautiful. It has a balcony and beautiful finishes and the view is obviously unbeatable. Regrets : not making time for the High tea which looked absolutely wonderful but we could not tear ourselves away from the main beach with its red chairs and umbrellas and lovely warm water. What I love about the hotel is obviously the view, the cocktail bar at the pool, the deck chairs overlooking the sea, the sea of red towels, the library (I forgot my novel at home), the lighthouse bar, the breakfast spread and cooling down in the pool after a long day at the beach. What I was not mad about was the almost puzzled / aloof expressions from some of the staff if you ask for some information and what irritated me was the breakfast seating. You can either eat in the inside section or on the terrace but the terrace is always “booked” but most of the time it is 90% deserted. It was not possible to find out how to get a booking outside on the terrace (see aloof / puzzled expression comment). Overall, the weekend was wonderful and we felt pampered, spoiled and so privileged. We will be back if we want to splash out on a oh-my-lord-it-is-so-awesome weekend but I will try and find out about the breakfast bookings beforehand :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the comfortable and luxurious accommodation with spectacular ocean views, the beach right on the doorstep, the Lighthouse Bar where one can sit and unwind and the delicious buffet breakfast each morning.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another awesome stay.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

The Oyster Box really is a little piece of heaven ! We have just come back from the most incredible 1 night stay to celebrate a birthday and an anniversary. The spa treatments and facilities were unbelievable , the food especially The Grill Room fine dining was out of this world!!! The luxurious beautifully decorated rooms with the most incredible view to wake up to each morning just topped it all off, lastly we were blown away as to how happy the staff all come across , they all seem to love there job! I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful that you chose to celebrate both your birthday and anniversary with us and that you felt it was the most wonderful hotel. Your kind comments regarding your wonderful spa treatments, delicious food in The Grill Room and luxuriously appointed room are most appreciated.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I am pleased that you found them to be friendly and happy and that you received exceptional service. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Spent a week at the end of April with my family at this hotel and the service and standards were superb.My only dissapointment was that I did not spend enough time at the hotel. The breakfast is amazing-the best view of the pool and the beautiful Indian Ocean. What a way to start the day with oysters and champers! I loved the promenade outside the hotel and the easy access to it.The concierge was excellent and all the restaurants recommended were superb.The service at the pool was also of a high standard-loved the complimentary slushies.I cannot recall even pressing a button to get the lift......its done for you! Get a sea facing room with a balcony-its worth it! The amenities are in abundance and there was nothing further that I needed or needed replenished. I miss nodding off to sleep whilst listening to the roar of the Indian Ocean. To top it all, full credit to the Oyster Box for being a dog friendly hotel. It is my dream to get my loved pets to the Oyster Box someday!

Room Tip: Get a sea facing room. Have breakfast outside on the patio. Spend as much time at the hotel as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with your wonderful comments following your week-long stay with us at The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the delicious buffet breakfast with vast selection, together with the poolside service and spectacular views over the ocean. I am thrilled that you found the restaurants to be excellent and that your accommodation most comfortable and luxurious.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back and perhaps next time you will introduce your pets to the hotel too where they will be able to enjoy their own menus we have on offer.