“Outstanding Oyster Box”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed October 29, 2013

For any occassion big, small, romantic or girly getaway! Outstanding Oyster Box it is!
The Curry Buffet is an absolute MUST! Rain or shine its delish!
The staff are incredibly efficient and friendly, this clearly comes from a great management team and investment in their staff!
If you looking at some time out, the spa is awesome OR why not try the cinema inside the hotel! AMAZING!
Well done Oyster Box for always going the extra mile and making your guests feel so special!
Ps the views rain or shine are magnificent too! Wowzers!

• Stayed: October 2013
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time write a review.

I so appreciate these amazing comments about our facilities. I am also glad to see you have had the chance to experience so many of our amazing offerings, including our famous Curry Buffet.

Thank you for supporting us, and using our wonderful facilities.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I would just like to thank all the staff for the incredible, professional, friendly service. Apart from the hotel being situated in such a magnificent, picturesque location, the staff and the atmosphere created, exceeded my expectations as the South African country as a whole. The hotel is so beautifully decorated and well maintained, yet still feel's 'homely' and comfortable, compared to many hotels that seem to have almost that hospital, empty smell.
I have travelled all 7 continents in the world, and been a guest at many 4-5 star hotels and the Oyster Box hotel was by far in my top 3 hotels in the WORLD!. Thank you for your hospitality! You will be seeing me as well as friends and family I recomend, sooner than later.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing review.

Your review really made my day, as we put so much effort into ensuring each guest has an amazing stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your time here so much, and rate us so highly.

I would love to personally meet you on your next visit, so please let me know when you or your family are visiting and I will ensure you have an fantastic room and stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

What an incredible hotel. Great service, great attitude to guests, great food... Am I gushing? It's hard not to. A previous reviewer here said guests were 'treated like royalty from the moment they arrived' and I have to concur. Reception checked me in with charm and grace and then escorted me through the hotel pointing out all amenities and facilities on the way to my room. My sea facing balcony room was exquisite, with stunningly comfortable appointments and lovely decor. A little hint of colonialism goes a long, long way! a good sized flat panel TV, an elegant digital clock radio, plus all the other 5 star touches you'd expect and to top it all off - a really comfortable bed, great linen and pillows, and a fresh welcoming kimono draped over the duvet. The bathroom was even better if that's possible... fantastically well stocked and designed and I loved the little touches like an innocuous automatic blue night light secreted away for those middle of the night visits. The shower? The best I've ever had in any hotel anywhere in the world. A rainfall drop shower with awesome pressure and controls that were whisper sensitive and perfect. Having had a great night's sleep with my balcony doors open wide all night and the sound of the ocean's waves crashing below, I woke in a great mood. After a fabulous shower I went off to discover breakfast. It was superb. Great coffee, a morning newspaper and really discrete yet attentive service. Oysters, cold meats, fresh fruits, cereals and juices (in proper sized glasses)ere in abundance and were perfectly displayed and fresh. My eggs, poached soft, were specially prepared and served with little roundels of toast beneath them. To the eggs I added some deviled kidneys, and two pork sausages which were exquisite. Then I went off to conference... In a stunning venue upstairs in the hotel. I spoke, and delivered my best presentation ever... Hard not too when you're in a really great mood. This hotel is magnificent. Outstanding. A gem. The only thing I didn't like was leaving. But hey, I'm taking the wife back there soon, this time for a long break. I loved the royal treatment

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about our Hotel. I am so delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of the Hotel, From the delicious food to the friendly staff.
It was fantastic to read, that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and were able to enjoy the scenery and relaxing Sea. Our breakfast are a special event, and I am so glad you got to enjoy some of the unique dishes.

Please let me know, when you would like to stay with your wife, so that I can personally meet you and ensure you receive Royal treatment. Please email me directly on wcoetzer@oysterbox.co.za and I will ensure you have the most perfect stay once again.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The staff is unfriendly and average!
Hotel is beautiful, gym average, spa good but not great.
This is not Bushmans Kloof.
No friendly smiles or helping to make your stay enjoyable. You almost get the feeling you are bothering them.
3 stars for a 5 star hotel. Not good!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you found the Hotel Beautiful.
I am sorry that you found the staff unfriendly, and am quite shocked at this comment as the one thing this Hotel is renowned for is friendly staff with big smiles, as you can see from the hundreds of comments on trip advisor. I am also sorry that you found our award winning Spa mediocre, we put so much effort into the detail at the Spa to ensure it remains the best in the country.

I would love to have you back and personally welcome you, so that you can experience the magic of this beautiful Hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Oyster Box is quite simply perfect. It is luxurious in every detail and beautifully located overlooking the ever-changing Indian Ocean.
It serves expertly prepared food from dawn to late evening in a variety of restaurants, including the fine dining Grill Room and the marginally less opulent, but still very impressive, Ocean Terrace. A sundowner in the Light House Bar is a must and the sumptuous Afternoon Tea an experience not to be missed, especially if Charmaine is serving you.
From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty (Brian on Reception is particularly impressive) and never less than an honoured guest for whom nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are all excellently furnished with the vast majority having balconies facing the sea. As an example of the impeccable attention to detail, there are not only two types of pillows (firm and soft), but also two types of dressing gown (summer light and thicker winter ones) in each room.
I have tried very hard to find a negative point about the Oyster Box. I have failed miserably. It is absolutely perfect and probably the best hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Anyone travelling in or near Durban or, indeed, visiting Kwa-Zulu Natal should stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing me with some feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

Naturally, I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and were completely blown away by the service of the staff, the delicious food in the restaurants, the attention to detail throughout the hotel and found that the whole stay exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for having singled out staff members for their attentiveness. I will be sure to thank them for looking after you.

In addition, thank you for choosing The Oyster Box for your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Friendly and efficient customer facing staff, however, for the price you pay and for a 5 star establishment, we experienced average service in our room. Arrived to a fridge that had not been working for quite a while, as drinks in the fridge were warm. On the plus side, it was replaced within half and hour. 2nd night, bed not turned down upon our return at 9.30pm. Staff arrived at approx. 10pm to turn down beds - too late, we were in bed already. 3rd day, went out for the whole morning. Got back at 12pm, room not done. Stayed in room until 2pm, no staff arrived to do the room. Went out again after 2 pm, got back at 4pm and eventually room was made up. Don't expect this kind of service for the money you are paying and for a 5 star hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you enjoyed many aspects of the Hotel. I am however disappointed that your room was not made up on time. I have done a full investigation with the staff concerned and it would appear that there was a request on the system for "No disturbance". I am sorry about this miscommunication, and can assure you that the room attendant did not intentionally forget to service the room.

It would be my pleasure to meet you and offer you an upgrade on your next visit to the Hotel.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Oyster Box is not cheap, but it's worth it. The attention to detail is impressive, but the main factor for me was the quality of the staff. Very friendly and attentive, without being all over you. Knowledgeable and smart. The location is superb. The breakfast is almost worth a visit in itself.
Top class.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and that the staff took great care of you throughout your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,