“Dream break at the sea”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just spent two unforgettable nights at the Oyster Box.The Grand Old Lady of Umhlanga, recently upgraded, really is in a class of her own. Staff are immaculate, attentive and well trained-smiles are ready and warm, as is their welcome. Pizzas from the wood-fired oven on the verandah, overlooking the lighthouse and the ocean, were superlative, as are their breakfasts. The bell signals Dolphins or Whales, and everyone jumps up to view the denizons of the deep.The ambience and decor make for a quite intoxicating experience. Well Done on every front!

Room Tip: All sea-facing rooms are splendid-views of the lighthouse an added bonus. Garden rooms quieter, and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, your wonderful comments are appreciated.

I am delighted you were able to make good use of our retirement package.

I do hope your lovely lady enjoyed her birthday with us, and we are delighted to see you enjoyed your dinner on the Ocean terrace.

I am so sorry that you had problems with your Ford Motor vehicle on departure, however glad we were able to assist jump start your car for you. I do hope your journey home was safe with out any problems.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, we loved having you both and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for The Oyster Box

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Agree with previous reviews that rooms are snug but sea views are worth it. Service is amazing at every turn staff can't do enough for you. Would highly recommend as a couples get away. Afternoon tea is a real treat and good value. Spa is top class also

• Stayed: August 2013
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff friendly and efficient, the service amazing and the High Tea and the Spa top class.

Please enquire about our selection of larger rooms we offer when next you decide to make a reservation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the beautiful ocean views and another memorable get away.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful hotel, fantastic service, beautiful surroundings. Would highly recommend for a few days break. The bedroom was a little on the small side but the view over the ocean was stunning. Food also fantastic, great choices and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2013
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular the fantastic service, beautiful surroundings, food and wonderful view from the room.

As we have a range of accommodation available, please do not hesitate to request information on our larger rooms when next you make a reservation.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We and another couple were staying here one weekend when one of our children had an accident and we had to cut our stay short. We were in a state and needed to leave urgently. Wayne Coetzee the manager would not let us do a thing. He sent people to pack our belongings, arranged a vehicle at no charge to immediately take us to the Airport and even packed us something to eat as we missed Breakfast. He also credited us for the night we missed. Calls were made by him and a member of his staff asking about my son and they sent a beautiful arrangement to the Hospital. I hardly knew this man and this was really far beyond the call of duty. Thankfully my son recovered and approx 5 months later we decide to return to complete our holiday. I was also celebrating my 60th Birthday. I cannot begin to describe the treatment we received. The unbelievable welcome, Champagne at lunch and in our room with a fruit basket and balloons. We were pampered beyond belief. Champagne made available at a restaurant outside the hotel organised by Wayne. A breakfast birthday party with the staff singing to me and the most delicious birthday cake. Every request was accommodated. Then an invite for a lunch in the kitchen with Wayne. The most magnificent food and wine. We were going out for dinner to Ballito one evening. They refused to let us use our car and arranged a hotel bus to take us to the restaurant and bring us back. We always enjoyed a hot chocolate to drink on our return. Again no charge and delivered to our room. Couldnt connect to the internet. The computer man was with me in minutes to get me on line. Time to leave. We bring our suitcases down and start packing them into our Polo. Again, arranged by Wayne the hotel Rolls Royce arrives in front of the hotel and takes us to the airport. I cannot begin to explain what a magical experience we all had. Thank you Wayne and all your staff for the most incredible and memorable week. Spoiled beyond belief. Brian, Lesley, Paul, and Karen.

Room Tip: Sea facing suites are great
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a fantastic trip advisor review.
I am so sorry that your stay was broken by the tragic events that took place at Home.
It was my absolute pleasure to spoil you on your return under happier circumstances., and for your Huge celebrations.
I thank you for your for you amazing comments, and also for your regular patronage, we look forward to seeing you again at the end of the year.
Once again my team and I look forward to spoiling you.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I recently spent several days at the Oyster Box and cannot tell you what a wonderful experience it is.
The minute you step out of your car you are greeted and it is as if you no longer have to think about a thing. Every request is met and every thought anticipated. It is such a delight.
If you wish to stay at a hotel with World Class Service from rooms, food, and service. You have to come to the Oyster Box. Treat yourself to a pleasurable stay. The Curry Lunch Buffet is out of this world. What a treat.
Tea in the afternoons is elegant with lots of tasty treats. Beautiful piano music. What more could you ask for.
The General Manager Wayne Coetzer is highly visible and approachable. It is so nice to see. He is involved with every detail and highly admired by the staff. It is truly a tribute to him.
Thank you for a wonderful stay. It felt like we were returning home. Andy and Mae

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and provide me with such wonderful feedback following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

Naturally, I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves with every aspect of the hotel, including the friendly staff, the rooms, the world class service and the food, in particular, the Curry Buffet and the High Tea.

I so look forward to welcoming you back to your 'home from home' in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I treated ourselves to 3 nights here in April 2013. Really a magnificent hotel!
Old fashioned service with a friendly welcome on our arrival. Pleasant lobby and excellent restaurants. Great sea view from our room. Lovely pool view from the Ocean Terrace dining area. Outstanding high tea. Great service in all areas. The duty manager also arranged a free transfer for us to go shopping at Gateway… Nice touch. Room was beautiful and clean, bathroom good. We even had the option of taking our breakfast on our balcony! What a treat! Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheGreyBear

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in providing me with feedback following your stay.

I am so happy that you found everything to your liking, in particular the excellent restaurants, sea view from the room, outstanding High Tea and wonderful service.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy yet another fantastic stay.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a nice time during my stay here. Wonderfull sea views, great food. Nice relaxed bar with live music and a exclusive dining area under a glass floor in the wine cellar. Great and friendly staff. Beautiful decorated room. It`s a very nice hidden 5 star hotel just outside of north Durban. Would come here back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a fantastic review.

I am sorry you found the classic room cramped, I look forward to upgrading you on your next stay so that you can experience our Luxury Sea facing rooms.

Thank you for commenting about the friendly staff and efficient service, we invest a lot of time in our staff, and believe that Happy staff equals Happy Guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.