“I wish it was my home”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Best hotel iv'e been to in South Africa, By far. The staff, food, vibe and setting is all first class. We visit often even though we live just 20min away. Breakfast buffet on a Sunday morning is a must if you can, and drinks at the Lighthouse bar just cap off a great night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback following your visit to The Oyster Box, your 'home away from home'.

I am absolutely delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself, in particular the staff, the food, vibe and setting. The breakfast buffets are most delicious and offer a fantastic hot and cold selection enjoyed by each and every guest.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps when you next pop in to The Lighthouse Bar for a relaxing drink.

Wayne Coetzer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Oyster Box in Umhlanga is a magical place. It maintains its colonial history and has an ambiance about it thats quite indescribable. High team offers a varity of different cakes and savouries. The littel touches like the personalised card placed on your table make you feel like a littel princess for the day. A great way to celebrate m ost occassions.

Room Tip: Be aware - high is usually booked solid for 2 months ahead be sure to plan ahead.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your High Tea experience at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience of all the different sweets, cakes, savouries and special delights on offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another High Tea soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Where do I even start?

Who knew such a little piece of heaven could be found in Umhlanga Durban. I have been in the Hospitality Industry for 10 years now. My partner who was busy travelling and had a stop over in SA decided he wanted to treat me to a relaxing getaway as I work on a very busy Private Game Reserve up north.

When I arrived I was immediately greeted by the reception, all with beautiful welcoming warming smiles. The lady who checked me in was a mid 30's Indian lady with a beautiful presence. She checked me in and then walked to my room as my partner had just left for a conference he was attending in Durban. When we got to the room she explained all the facilities to me in detail with no apparent rush. That was very comforting that she had time for me. The topper, was when she opened the pallet doors onto the balcony and exposed the most beautiful view I have seen in a very long time. The sea was glorious and blue and fresh, lapping up against the lighthouse...what beauty.

The amenities in the room were just stunning, everything was perfectly placed, I never had to hunt for secret hidden things. The rooms were just brilliant, and who doesn't like getting out of a shower with a HOT towel to wrap yourself up into. The bed's were very comfortable and the lightning superb.

I must say one of my biggest attractions to this place was the architecture and interior decor. The fan ( ship propeller ) style statement was spectacular. I really want some of those myself. The view on the sea side was great but it was also brilliant having a shaded green blue on the outside of my door, which over looked the 2nd more private pool, and spa area. The walls are covered in beautiful green plants and the touches of benches and water features just really adds a boom to the atmosphere.

When you hear that the only smoking allowed bar is on the ground floor, at first you are dissapointed. However that's where it ends. I walked into the Chukka Grill bar the 1st night I was there to not only be met with an interesting decor concept but a friendly wonderful bar men and some old friends Id run into. The only downfall to this area in my opinion is the bar stools. They are great for sitting on when you're on them however it makes the placement for the lower chairs extremely awkward. You constantly feel like you're sitting on the floor. They also block the TV view, which is quite entertaining as some old classics and a good mix of music is played during the day. I have to suggest the Strawberry Moitjos to everyone. They pack a punch and are very well made. A great blend of all the right ingredients.

Once my partner returned from he's meeting we decided to go for a walk outside the hotel. There are many little coffee spots and cafe's, restaurants, bars and pubs which to choose from.
They all flow outwards and and into the bustling vibe of the area. We felt competely safe and welcome walking around this area during the night even as a mixed race couple. Everyone was so relaxed happy and welcoming. It really was such a beautiful environment to be in.

The next day I had all to myself to discover the rest of this beautiful place I had somehow ended up in.
After checking out the spa and walking around the grounds, only to be greeted by amazing staff members all the time I decided in the afternoon to have another one of those amazing Strawberry Moitjos. This time I visited the Light House Bar. Oh my! Breath taking is an understatement. What a beautiful area, with a full frontal view of the lighthouse, and the sea, the pool beneath you. I was helped by a wonderful lady who's uniform blew me away so much I had to take a photo.

I just loved everything. There was not one thing I can fault about our stay or experience. And Id like to thank the team as a whole for making this such an amazing experience for me. Once you work in this industry you sometimes forget to enjoy it or to appreciate it, you automatically look for whats wrong in a place when you go on your own holidays. I must admit this thought did not enter my mind even once as soon as I walked through the doors of the reception to check in.

Having just returned from Dubai. Abu Dhabi and Egypt after 3 years on and off, and living and working on an isolated Game Reserve up north, this was the PERFECT way to spend my off time. I do hope to see you soon again.

Very Satisfied Guest
XX

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cecilia23236
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such detailed feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were blown away by the friendliness of the staff, the room, hotel decor, the award winning Spa and Lighthouse Bar to mention just a few and that your entire stay exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for choosing The Oyster Box to spend your time away from the game reserve.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had not planned to stay here but a sudden change in plans led us to this wonderful hotel right on the Indian Ocean. From the minute we walked in the door, we were treated like the only guests they had. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and their attention to detail is beyond anything we have seen. The staff is warm and friendly, not to mention incredibly helpful and attentive. Our porter, William, made such an effort to speak to us and make us feel welcome. His smile was genuine and we will miss him! The food was excellent and we just can't say enough good things about our two night stay at the Oyster Box Hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the ocean and the sound of the waves was wonderful at night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte C
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your two night stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves from the minute you arrived, in particular the friendly staff, the attention to detail and the food.

My staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We attended a wedding for the weekend in Durban and decided to make the most of a few days in Durban and stayed at The Oyster Box Hotel. So thrilled we did! The Hotel exceeded all our expectations - everything from the welcome and in-room treats like macaroons on arrival right up to our quick check out and farewells! Best of all, we travelled with our two young kids and they were made to feel right at home. The highlights for our girls included the infinity swimming pool, the stone throw's distance from the beach, the pizza making and the monkey's stealing the jam at breakfast! My husband and I were not only impressed with the all of the facilities, restaurants in the hotel itself but by far what stood out for us was the excellent service - perfectly balanced between being attentive but not bothersome! Be sure if we ever need to come to Durban again this will be our first and only stop!

Room Tip: As we have kids, we told the hotel and we had a room that was actually two rooms - one with the our...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your weekend stay with your family at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you found everything to your liking and that the hotel exceeded all of your expectations from your arrival until your departure, in particular the infinity swimming pool, the hotel's location on the beach and the excellent service.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We decided on a quick weekend getaway from the city to "recharge" and have a great break.

The experience from the time we arrived till we left, was indescribably amazing. Ranging from the most personalized service we have ever experienced, all the way through to the immaculate rooms, celebrity style menu selections, and ability to feel like we were the only guests in the entire establishment.

It is no wonder so many people have recommended The Oyster Box to us, and it is also no surprise that our "run away" for the final quarter is booked at the exact same place. This is totally out of character for us, as we always try to find something new, but now that we have found perfection, we truly are left with no option, but to return.

Thanks Wayne and your team for such an amazing experience and allowing us to find such a phenomenal "pearl" within our own country.

Room Tip: You definitely want to have one of the villas, with their unique multi leveled layout, and great lit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your getaway to
The Oyster Box in order to "recharge".

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were completely blown away, in particular by the personalised service, the immaculate rooms and wonderful menu selections.

Thank you for choosing The Oyster Box for your stay. I hope that at some point, I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our weekend at the Oyster Box was totally amazing. From the time we set foot on the premises we were treated like royalty. The staff were so friendly and helpful and any request was answered with a smile. We spent the day on the beach and finished our evening off with sun downers in the light house bar with the yummiest snacks and then a delicious curry buffet. I was so sad to leave on Sunday and have already put in a request with my husband to book another weekend there... :)

Room Tip: Book a sea facing room - the view is stunning
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your weekend stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular your time spent in The Lighthouse Bar having sun downers and also The Ocean Terrace Restaurant where you enjoyed our delicious Curry Buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.