“Amazing hotel in every way!”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had not planned to stay here but a sudden change in plans led us to this wonderful hotel right on the Indian Ocean. From the minute we walked in the door, we were treated like the only guests they had. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and their attention to detail is beyond anything we have seen. The staff is warm and friendly, not to mention incredibly helpful and attentive. Our porter, William, made such an effort to speak to us and make us feel welcome. His smile was genuine and we will miss him! The food was excellent and we just can't say enough good things about our two night stay at the Oyster Box Hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the ocean and the sound of the waves was wonderful at night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte C
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your two night stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves from the minute you arrived, in particular the friendly staff, the attention to detail and the food.

My staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Oyster Box

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We attended a wedding for the weekend in Durban and decided to make the most of a few days in Durban and stayed at The Oyster Box Hotel. So thrilled we did! The Hotel exceeded all our expectations - everything from the welcome and in-room treats like macaroons on arrival right up to our quick check out and farewells! Best of all, we travelled with our two young kids and they were made to feel right at home. The highlights for our girls included the infinity swimming pool, the stone throw's distance from the beach, the pizza making and the monkey's stealing the jam at breakfast! My husband and I were not only impressed with the all of the facilities, restaurants in the hotel itself but by far what stood out for us was the excellent service - perfectly balanced between being attentive but not bothersome! Be sure if we ever need to come to Durban again this will be our first and only stop!

Room Tip: As we have kids, we told the hotel and we had a room that was actually two rooms - one with the our...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your weekend stay with your family at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you found everything to your liking and that the hotel exceeded all of your expectations from your arrival until your departure, in particular the infinity swimming pool, the hotel's location on the beach and the excellent service.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We decided on a quick weekend getaway from the city to "recharge" and have a great break.

The experience from the time we arrived till we left, was indescribably amazing. Ranging from the most personalized service we have ever experienced, all the way through to the immaculate rooms, celebrity style menu selections, and ability to feel like we were the only guests in the entire establishment.

It is no wonder so many people have recommended The Oyster Box to us, and it is also no surprise that our "run away" for the final quarter is booked at the exact same place. This is totally out of character for us, as we always try to find something new, but now that we have found perfection, we truly are left with no option, but to return.

Thanks Wayne and your team for such an amazing experience and allowing us to find such a phenomenal "pearl" within our own country.

Room Tip: You definitely want to have one of the villas, with their unique multi leveled layout, and great lit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your getaway to
The Oyster Box in order to "recharge".

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were completely blown away, in particular by the personalised service, the immaculate rooms and wonderful menu selections.

Thank you for choosing The Oyster Box for your stay. I hope that at some point, I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our weekend at the Oyster Box was totally amazing. From the time we set foot on the premises we were treated like royalty. The staff were so friendly and helpful and any request was answered with a smile. We spent the day on the beach and finished our evening off with sun downers in the light house bar with the yummiest snacks and then a delicious curry buffet. I was so sad to leave on Sunday and have already put in a request with my husband to book another weekend there... :)

Room Tip: Book a sea facing room - the view is stunning
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your weekend stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular your time spent in The Lighthouse Bar having sun downers and also The Ocean Terrace Restaurant where you enjoyed our delicious Curry Buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great fun place! Feels out of this world! Great rooms and great food - just very expensive! Will definitely return!!! Setting within the hotel is amazing and the variety is something every hotel should strive for!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay at
The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed yourselves, in particular the great rooms and food, together with the amazing setting right on the beach.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience another memorable stay.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I absolutly love the Oyster box Umhlanga staff. They are so friendly. I planned my brother's engagement at The Grillroom Resturant there and I was treated like ROYALTY and so was the Happy couple. My sister-inlaw was so impressed that she bought me a pair of shoes to thank me for her suprise engagement. I booked there for my boyfriend's birthday and they were just as friendly. The place is like heaven. Went on the sight inspection of the entire hotel and my breath was taken away. HEAVEN!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your visits to The Grill Room Restaurant to celebrate the occasions of your brother's engagement and your boyfriend's birthday.

Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

My wish is that you will return often to celebrate special moments.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The staff at this hotel from the valet to the front desk made each and every portion of our experience memorable, comfortable, positive, and happy. The staff was beautiful from the inside out and this is not often my experience in luxury hotels. This place rocks, and the location was great.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the hotel including the friendliness of the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy another memorable stay with us.