“Amazing, amazing...”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Israel
“Amazing, amazing...”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fanastic hotel! Beautiful rooms, service is outstanding. Loved the touch of sweets (candy) in large glass jars around the hotel. Delicious breakfast. If you want a relaxing, pampered few nights, this is definitely the place to go. Only thing I was disappointed with was the beach. Always heard about Umhlanga Rocks beach, but it cannot compare to the beaches around Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful rooms, service and delicious breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back for yet another relaxing and memorable stay.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Hitchin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A top class hotel but doesn't feel stuffy at all. The highlight for me was the afternoon tea which to us Brits seems great value and a much better selection of foods than we are used to. The food in both restaurants was excellent and try the curry buffet. A tip to the non SA females is that whilst this is a great hotel there is no need for posh frocks unless you want to wear them.
I tried the Spa the first visit but couldn't get in on my second so pre book before you get there

Room Tip: I think most people get upgraded if you have booked a garden view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and provide me with some feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed the exceptional High Tea and Curry Buffet. So sorry that you were not able to experience the popular award winning Spa this time round.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Friends and I had lunch at the Oyster Box Hotel out on the terrace. The food was great but the service was sadly lacking. The waitress had no clue how to operate the "waiters friend" and we had to eventually open the wine bottle ourselves. The wine was at room temperature and clearly had not spent any time in a wine chiller. This is the East Coast of South Africa, 7 degrees is as warm as one needs to wine to bein this climate. Not room temperature. I ordered a scotch from the Lighthouse Bar up stairs and had to wait about forty minutes to get the dram. Numerous attempts and requests to supervisors and waitresses eventually delivered my whisky. Tragically the meal was over and my friends were ready to leave. A poor experience for such a high class establishment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your visit to The Oyster Box.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you received from us whilst enjoying lunch on The Ocean Terrace.

I regret that we were unable to provide you with the level of service we consistently strive to provide each and every one of our guests. I would have loved for you to have enjoyed a truly memorable experience with us. As I take the feedback from our guests extremely seriously, each issue will be addressed personally.

My apologies again for your unfavourable experience.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Oyster Box soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Perhaps just perhaps WOW begins to describe this hotel renovated for a cool billion dollars in 2009 .The Oyster Box is the unique and so over the top that staff wear colonial garb and make me think of Indonesia's famous Raffles Hotel.

There is some hodge lodge of design, but that seems to merely add to the lovely decadence. The staff kindly offers you champagne as you enter and hot towels.

Our room was beautifully decorated in white and green with many thoughtful touches such as a sanitized tv changer and emergency lights in the bathroom where there were also heated towel racks, both summer and winter robes.

However the lights did not work and the hot water tap gave us problems. Yet staff were up instantly. Still... We had a great balcony facing the beach and light house. There are 2 grand pools 3 tony bars, a movie theatre with complementary popcorn. It is in deed a luxurious sojourn. And I loved the pampering.

Breakfast and dinner at Ocean terrace were excellent inspite of indulged and bratty offspring of the idle rich . But I liked feeling idley rich and pampered for a day or so. I imagine their goregous high tea is to die for and next time I'll go for their Indian buffet. Like really wow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, from the room to the food but especially enjoyed being pampered.

I look forward to welcoming you back one day when you will be able to experience our exceptional High Tea and Curry Buffet.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Amazing! Have stayed by myself for a weekend on a business trip. But would be perfect for a romantic getaway.
Stunning views, great service, good food. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.
The terrace restaurant serves a curry buffet with 10+ curry types for lunch and dinner. Amazing. The lighthouse bar with the view on the ocean - and yes, the lighthouse - is beautiful. You can visit both not staying in the hotel as well.
The beach promenade right outside the hotel is great for a run or walk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback on your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to hear that you thorughly enjoyed yourself, ini particular the views, service and food.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

When I asked my mom where she should would like to have lunch on her 65th birthday recently, she laughed and said "the Oyster Box"! I cannot remember a family holiday (and nor can she) without this special hotel - and it was my absolute privilege to arrange lunch and a trip to the Hotel since its renovations. My Mom, aunt and I caught the Gautrain from Sandton and the red eye flight to Durban. The Hotel was nothing short of spectacular from the moment we arrived... we were treated like royalty - a superb lunch (the curry buffet, what else do you eat in Durbs??) and a walk on the beach and toes in the water! The weather was beautiful (ordered specially, although Jo'burgers are not used to the wind), and the view unsurpassed from the terrace.... I'm so thrilled to see that most of the original mosaics and features have been maintained post renovation (my great grandparents almost bought the beach cottage that stood where the Hotel currently is and decided against it because "nobody would go to Umhlanga, as it was too far from Durban! Madness!) What a gorgeous spot.... fabulous service, fabulous experience and a very special memory for all of us. Thank you for everything - well done to Wayne Coetzer and his team .... highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am thoroughly delighted to hear that your special lunch visit to The Oyster Box on the occasion of your Mum's 65th birthday exceeded all expectations.

The Owners have maintained the intrinsic character and charm when renovating and coupled with the unsurpassed views of the ocean, make for a wonderful relaxing day out.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My recent visit to to Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga, South Africa was nothing short of spectacular! We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. The very smallest of detail was carefully taken care of and the staff really went the extra mile for us. Nothing was a problem for the staff. We found the food of a very high standard too. All in all, our expectations were not only met but far exceeded. Thank you Oyster Box, we will be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your spectacular stay at The Oyster Box which exceeded your expectations.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, including the high standard of the food and the fact that "No request was too large and No detail too small".

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#4 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#10 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
AHA Gateway Hotel
AHA Gateway Hotel
#7 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban ...
#13 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!