“A Christmas to Remember”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
London, United Kingdom
“A Christmas to Remember”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Christmas with the family, away from home in a hotel in a foreign country does not sound like everyone's dream. The Oyster Box made ours outstanding. There is no shortage of things for the family (especially the kids) to do (beach, pool, cinema, town a short walk away). The food was out of this world and we all ate way too much! Christmas Day lunch was a special treat and will be a talking point for many years to come.
Everything was fantastic - the service, the friendly staff, the location. If you are going to South Africa I highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Villas are more spacious for families and although there is no sea view, you do get your own plunge...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your most memorable stay at The Oyster Box and in particular your Christmas Day lunch experience.

I am delighted to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, including the children with all their activities and found the food, service, friendly staff and the location to be fantastic.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oyster Box on your next visit.

Wayne Coetzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Durban
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was lucky enough to have stayed at the Oysterbox hotel at the beginning of December, and loved every minute of it. The service, staff , food and festivity of the hotel during this period was outstanding. We booked an ocean view room, which was decorated superbly and enjoyed an wonderful breakfast the next day. I found the staff to be very attentive and made my husband and I feel like royalty. Even though this hotel is quite expensive, we felt that it was worth every penny and just wish we could have stayed longer as it really was a top class weekend.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are stunning to watch a beautiful KZN sunrise!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and in particular the service, staff, food, sea facing room with beautiful decor and holiday festivities.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed January 9, 2013

What a fabulous holiday we had this year at the gorgeous Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga Rocks!
We were welcomed by smiling, efficient staff who knew exactly who we were and what our holiday meant to us as we were celebrating our son's first Christmas. So special and thoughtful are the staff that they sent a mini Christmas tree to our room to decorate!!
The vibe on Christmas day was amazing, so traditional and happy. A beautiful display at the reception with a sleigh and snow machine just made it all more fun! The food was outstanding in the Grill room on Christmas day, with cheerful staff always around to top up our drinks and who kept the food coming!

Apart from dining in the wonderful restaurants we spent most of our time around the pools, taking in the spectacular views and enjoying the complimentary fruit and ice-creams which was delightful!

Although the hotel is pricey, it is more than worth it. The outstanding service, gorgeous food, spectacular location and the wonderful staff who are always willing to help with a smile I will recommend this hotel to everyone.

We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed Christmas at The Hotel, and all the festivities we offered over this period.

The Grill Room is a very special restaurant and Both the Executive Chef and I were delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Toulouse, France
Reviewed January 9, 2013

A seafacing room at the Oyster Box is the ultimate in luxury and style. The service, decor and sheer beauty defy imagination. As you arrive, the liveried porters whisk away your luggage which reappears in your beautful room. As you absorb the stunning decor, you just have to open the sliding shutters over the ocean - oh yes, the sea breeze and smell of the sea take your breath away. People fishing on the beach, a view up to the harbour entrance some kilometres away, the beach and promenade are all part of your first impressions. The village with bars and seafood restaurants vie for attention with the cocktail bar on the roof and the in-house dining. The staff were charming, humorous and welcoming. Lovely outfits!
We had a fabulous weekend, wish we could have stayed a month, the pool sublime...and the sheets...like a dream...

Dear Ms. Fost,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am delighted that you were completely blown away by the location, luxury and style, service and decor, together with the immaculate uniforms of the hotel. The views over the ocean are indeed quite breathtaking too.

I do hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Mocambique.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oyster Box soon.

Ballito
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our stay at The Oyster box was the highlight of our trip. The Hotel is beautiful with wonderful views of the ocean and a very welcoming atmosphere. The meals were excellent and the service very good, friendly staff. Overall enjoyed it very much and will definitely recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and provide some feedback following your recent stay at The Oyster Box. I am delighted to hear that it was the highlight of your trip and that you so enjoyed the entire experience of the views, the excellent food, the friendly staff and excellent service.

I have no doubt that whoever you recommend the hotel to, they will be just as delighted by the experience as you were.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oyster Box in the near future.

Durban
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

It was a friend's birthday and the dinner was to be held at The Oyster Box and so we decided to treat ourselves to a stay at The Oyster Box.

The Oyster Box is my favorite hotel, and I had previously been there to the Spa (heaven is the Oyster Box Spa - to de-stress, to treat yourself or just because you want to - it is HIGHLY recommended) and have been for High Tea, dinner in the Grill Room and have delighted in various meals on the Ocean Terrance many times. But I have never stayed the night.
We were not disappointed! The room was beautiful, and the view was to die for! The joy of being able to sleep whilst listening to the sea was very soothing.

I loved the private beach. It made me feel so important and looked after, and I can honestly say I have never been served drinks whilst on the beach, and as i am not a beach person, being able to sit in comfy seats and not on the sand was the best! I am told though that this is only done for the Christmas season, but it was a wonderful touch. I must commend The Oyster Box on the awning on the Terrace, for the hot Durban Summer, it's absolutely perfect!

The birthday dinner that night was on the Ocean Terrace. My partner and I are huge Curry Buffet fans but I must admit to feeling food envy when I saw my friend's langoustines. Luckily she shared them with me and I can honestly say that they were every bit as delicious as they looked, and i got to enjoy the curry buffet too! I highly recommend the Chicken and Prawn curry and the lamb vindaloo. My partner's favorite meal (butter chicken) did not disappoint and as usual, he ate way too much. :)

Our heavenly stay ended with the breakfast buffet in the morning. That is a whole experience on its own. I will definitely be back with friends for that treat!!

To all the staff at The Oyster Box, not only on this stay, but on all previous visits, you certainly do live up to your reputation! The service is always friendly and welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble. You guys are amazing. THANK YOU.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed so much of our festive season program.

We take great pride in offering the very best possible service, I am delighted you found the staff and service so good.

Thank you for dinning in our restaurants, we do appreciate your fantastic comments.

Kind Regards

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the oyster box hotel, was an amazing holiday that we will never forget! Very impressed in the exceptional food and service. With very efficient and friendly staff. The room we stayed in was beautiful with breathe taking views. No request was to big or too small, and skabanga just made our stay extra special. Will be back soon! Thank you.

Room Tip: Sea facing to the magnificent views
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your unforgettable stay at The Oyster Box. We are delighted to know that you were blown away with our service levels and the friendly staff, exceptional food and service, not forgetting the beautiful room with breathtaking views of the ocean.

Our resident cat Skabenga is certainly a favourite to all!

At the Oyster Box, we all strive for "No Request too Large, No Detail too Small".

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Umhlanga Rocks
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#4 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban ...
#11 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Teremok Marine
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umh...
#10 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel By Marriott Durban ...
#13 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
Hilton Durban
Hilton Durban
#3 of 43 in Durban

Been to The Oyster Box? Share your experiences!