“Quite unique 5 star experience”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is quite quaint as fas as five star hotels that we have stayed in and is definitely one of South Africa's best! Excellent food, linen quality and bathrooms which is what expect from five star! Service is intense and although very good borders on intrusive at times (hardly a major complaint)! Very well situated ! High tea is excellent but the chairs are so uncomfortable that it is difficult to relax and we were not the only ones complaining about this! Grill Room serves superb dishes and buffet breakfast is sublime! Lighthouse Bar perfect for sundowners! Nice pools Currently undergoing maintenance which could be off putting to some guests but we were not really impacted! ONLY REAL COMPLAINT IS INTERNET CONNECTIVITY IS SO POOR AND THE HOTEL COULD NOT FIX IT! Not good enough really for 5 star and they really should investigate better lines for the hotel is frequented by business people who need this service!

Room Tip: All rooms are fine with excellent linen but do not all have sea views!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read you were happy with so may aspects of the the hotel, including the cuisine and service.
I am sorry the Internet was slow, I have addressed this with our service provider and we are making changes to ensure are guests are not inconvenienced again.

There are newer reviews for The Oyster Box

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Although a fantastically relaxed atmosphere this was a real 5 star experience. We recently attended a wedding which was superb, the food, the decor, the atmosphere were all wonderful as well as the rooms, the attention to detail the friendly staff, awesome food and incredible position. An absolute must if you get the opportunity

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful my brother stayed with sea view but we had garden view and all were gorg...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in providing feedback following your recent stay with us at The Oyster Box on the special occasion of a wedding.

I am delighted to learn that you were completely satisfied with every aspect of the hotel, including the friendliness of the staff and the attention to detail.

I hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to The Oyster Box soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Lest anyone would question my credentials for the following, I am well travelled - to over 75 countries in 5 continents and only stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. This one is at the very top of the league! I cannot agree with the reviewer who seems to have been at the hotel at the same time as me (November 5th to 12th 2012).

From the moment of checkin - with a champagne greeting and a personal tour of the whole property from one of the reception staff, this hotel exudes quality.

The staff are wonderful. Within days most knew my wife and my names and were greeted personally each day. Nothing was too much trouble for them to do.

The food was excellent - breakfast is nothing like as described by the previous reviewer. Plenty of choice, hot and cold, personally made (if wanted) and strange requests catered for (they searched out special jams for me).

Afternoon tea is unbelievable - but my wife and I could only cope once with this in a week!

The main dining room is impeccable, with top class service. Whilst the menu in the cafe/restaurant is a little restricted, the Indian buffet every night seemed very popular.

The public areas (including a 24-seat cinema), with many bars were again well-served with staff. Around the pools a regular check by pool staff that one has towels and drinks (cooled water bottles were given out free) were accompanied by supplies of free fruit kebabs.

Our bedroom, upgraded free from a standard room, overlooked the beach, sea and main pool. It was quiet. Of course the early summer light streams through the slats of the blinds - but which would you prefer - this or a dark UK winter's morning? The room was well endowed with a Queen-sized bed, as many pillows as you want, two sets of robes (each) - light and heavy, and the latest technology.

Was there anything bad to say about this hotel? The power rainbow shower does have a freeze/boil tendency when everybody (in other rooms) is showering at the same time and the bed turndown service came at varying times, which made keeping the room clear at the correct time difficult to predict! And, the weather was poor for a South African Spring, for 5 of our 7 days. Really a hotel of this standard must be able to do something about that (not)!

It is pricey - but you get what you pay for. Personally, as one who has to pay the outrageous prices of some of the UK, Europe and USA's city hotels, this hotel is worth the money paid.

Room Tip: You must get a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
OBHumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with detailed feedback following your recent stay at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you both thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and that your stay exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to The Oyster Box in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I spent a weekend at the Oyster Box, a birthday gift from my children.

We were treated to a complimentary dinner, birthday cake, champagne and other gifts on arrival. This was a lovely gesture.

Although the hotel was filled to capacity, we were well received on checking in, well organised and very efficiently shown the hotel facilities and to our room.

The room was immaculate and the view amazing. The only negative would be that the blinds in the room are ineffective for the early morning sun streaming in over your bed.

The breakfast was good enough, but could have been better. The service at breakfast was below par and empty 'reserved' tables left you to eat in totally uncomfortable low garden chairs at coffee tables. The coffee was either too weak or too strong, the pastries were cold, the hot buffet was largely unappetising.

Generally, the staff was extremely polite, and hospitable.
The Lighthouse Bar was really good, pleasant vibe and good selection of cocktails.

The hotel pool was probably one of the best pools I have ever enjoyed! Rimless pool almost overlooking the ocean! The access to the beach was pleasant, always greeted by hotel staff.

Finally, I would have to say the hotel rates are very high relative to what is on offer.

I would like to see a vast improvement in the standard and quality of food served and more attention to guests at meal times, before I would consider going back to the Oyster Box.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I was so delighted to see that you enjoyed all the wonderful treats we provided for your birthday.

Thank you for commenting on the friendliness of the staff, we try very hard to ensure all our guest experience the magic of The Oyster Box.

The pool areas are indeed amazing and I am happy you were able to spend time at the pool relaxing and enjoying the fantastic service.

I am sorry you found our Palm Court uncomfortable, it is such a beautiful area, and so very popular for High Tea and breakfast alike.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful Hotel.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

First time there this year, had heard great things. it was amazing - great location by the sea, food was wonderful and most of all the staff were professional, attentive and very pleasant. Will be back next year.

Stayed: July 2012
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review, I am delighted that you had a fabulous stay and will be back next year.

I look forward to welcoming you and ensuring that you again have a super stay with us.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and i dined at your restaurant recently. I was thoroughly impressed with the service from one of your personnel, Mr Vassie Chetty. We were satisfied with the choice of food and drink together with the commendable service from Mr Chetty. This made the evening a memorable one and we will definately come back!!

Thank you!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience in our restaurant.

I am delighted you enjoyed the Ocean Terrace, and even more happy that Vassie looked after you so well. Vassie is a fantastic waiter, and I often receive wonderful letters about his service.

I will be sure to comend him on the service he gave you.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was my first time staying at the hotel and from the minute we walked in, Bronwyn blew us away with her pleasant tour of the place. The hotel rooms are wonderful and made our stay there very comfortable. However I must state that what makes this place stand out is definitely the staff- the barmen, our dinner waiter Best, our breakfast waitress Chelsea and of course Bronwyn who all took contributed to taking our stay from Great to SPECTACULAR! I will definitely be back.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I appreciate you comments on the staff that made your saty extra special, I will deffinately mention your comments to them and thank them.

If there is any thing I can do for you in the near future please do let me know. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Oyster Box in the near future.

Kind Regards