“the ultimate in 5 star service!”
Review of The Oyster Box

The Oyster Box
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Words cant do this hotel justice, superb service and stunning room with a relacing view of the ocean.The spa services were well priced and the breakfasts were simply delicious Cant wait to go back and spend another week at this well decorated hotel.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and for your honest feedback.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to inform all the staff of your wonderful comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wow - we decided to treat ourselves to a weekend at this PHENOMENAL Hotel.
This hotel tops every hotel we have ever stayed in around the world.
One wants for nothing at this hotel- everything is available and laid on without a stuffy and formal ambiance.
From the fine details everywhere through to the staff who will not let you lift a hand for anything , this is ultimate luxury.
With the feel of a boutique hotel and the service offerings of a large property hotel you really do feel special and pampered.
Our sea facing room was well appointed with clever little luxuries. The turn down service and cleanliness was wonderful.
We had a little hiccup at check in , but not 5 minutes after we were shown into our room , did we have the guest relations manager at our door apologizing for what we thought was such a small inconvenience.
The position was magical, the high tea was charming, the private cinema( which hosted just the 2 of us) was decadent and the Spa offered informative, unique and indulgent treatments- i had the mom to be massage and my therapist was brilliant and so professional.
For 2 full days we just lay by the pool like lizards soaking up the sun and between the ice creams, pizzas and delicious flavoured water, presented so beautifully, we just relaxed and felt like celebrities.
We noticed that this hotel is very family orientated and very disabled friendly with ramps everywhere and enough room for prams and wheelchairs.
This "treat" will definitely be going into our calender for next year and after our rave reviews to family, i'm sure we will return with a bigger party.
If we could rate this property higher than Excellent,we certainly would.

Room Tip: Naturally when by the sea , a sea facing room is preferable .
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I really appreciate you comments and am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went to the Oyster Box Hotel for lunch on the terrace. The moment you arrive you know this is somewhere special. The interior is breathtakingly luxurious and glamorous. All the staff we interacted with came across and professional and courteous. Our lunch was highly enjoyable and worth every cent. This has to be the best hotel in KZN and one of the best in the whole country.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of this beautiful hotel, and that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and ensuring you receive extra special treatment.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at this amazing hotel. It ticks all the boxes, the location right on the seafront, the rooms are all beautifully furnished and include African artwork, wonderfully comfortable beds, spacious, well equipped bathrooms and all the modern conveniences you would expect in a top hotel.
There are several dining options, we had breakfast on the open air terrace overlooking the ocean, a great way to start the day. The indoor Ocean Terrace is a lovely setting for breakfast or an informal meal. For evening, the Grill Room provides an elegant setting for a superb evening meal. The food is second to none and if you are a curry lover, then you are in for a real treat.
Their afternoon tea is fabulous, a visual delight and a great feast.
The staff really make this a special hotel. They are welcoming, helpful and enthusiastic. Nothing is too much trouble. All the staff take pride in their hotel and go the extra mile to ensure your comfort and enjoyment. Like delivering fresh popcorn to the cinema while you enjoy the film.
The OB Spa has a great range of treatments and is a beautifully calm and relaxing venue. The staff here are excellent and I enjoyed the treatments.
I could write pages about this beautiful place but I will end by saying that I can thoroughly recommend this hotel and am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room especially a cabana on the ground floor. Lovely private terrace for sunbathi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
wayne020, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Jane

I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the Oyster Box, and that you had the time to enjoy so many of our fascilities.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at the Oyster Box on the last leg of a South African holiday. We had been told by all who knew it that it would be a wonderful experience and they weren't wrong. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff in this incredible colonial style hotel and the views were incredible as was the food. The high tea should not be missed!
It really is like stepping back in time to experience outstanding service levels. The rooms are large and well equipped and those overlooking the Indian ocean are particularly stunning. Not cheap, but worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Many Thanks for posting such a fantastic review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I have just spent spent a week at the Oyster Box, our two children joined us for the weekend. It is, without a doubt one of the finest establishments I have had the good fortune to stay in. We stayed there in the 70s when it was considered one of the very special hotels in S.A.. I think it is better now. Toni Tollman who the staff tell me did the decor has created a jewel. She has used local artists (Jane DuRand being quite remarkable) with imported art and furniture so everywhere you go or look there is something to delight and surprise you. Even the lift shaft!
It is however, the staff at the Oyster Box who make your stay there so wonderful. From Selvan who will make you a cappuccino with stripes that match the decor or Barbie who will give you a guided tour of the facilities and fill in some history to Chelsea or Victoria who will brighten your breakfast they are all simply superb.
We were told that very few American tourists visit KZNatal. I am not sure why that is but I would urge US visitors add it to their itineraries. There is so much on offer there. In winter the weather in KZN is by far the best in South Africa. There are game reserves, a beautiful coastline, the battle fields and most important of all the Oyster Box. Not to be missed.
P.S. I must mention the masked weavers making their nests in the palm courtyard which look part of the decor. I could go on and on.

Room Tip: You should ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of the Hotel, and look forward to welcoming you both back in the very near future.

thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I first visited the Oyster Box as a very young school boy in the 1950s. I have subsequently stayed at the hotel on many trips to South Africa but this was my first visit to the "new look" Oyster Box. What a wonderful experience! My room was very comfortable with stunning views from the balcony. The roomy bathroom was also a revelation. The buffet breakfast surpassed expectations and dinner at the Grill was top-notch. Without doubt the most enduring memory of my week-long stay was the unfailing courtesy and helpfulness of the staff - from the warm welcome at the reception to the always friendly house-keeping staff.

Thanks for the wonderful memories and I look forward very much to my next visit in the not-too-distant future. I strongly recommend this hotel whather for a long or short stay or even for didnner at the Grill or afternoon tea. Just terrific.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked good to me.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Trevor S
wayne020, Owner at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Trevor

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to celebrate Annes Birthday with us.

I hope your move goes smoothly and that you enjoy your new home.

Thank you again for staying with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Keep well,