“Great night out”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2013

First visit to Sevruga & I have to say I was very impressed.

The food was to die for! There was a bit of a delay between getting our starters & mains, but we were 12 people so it could probably be expected. The sushi was amazing. I wasn't sure what to choose & the waiter was able to steer me in the right direction. Such a fantastic selection & variety, that I have not come across before! Everyone enjoyed their mains & you could see that each plate was prepared with care. It was really difficult to choose a main, the options seemed endless & you wanted to try everything.

The dessert menu was just as difficult to choose from & again the waiter was very helpful in making a choice. Yummy!! I ended up choosing the lemon meringue. I have never had lemon meringue that good. The other guys had other options which was just as good. Presentation was to perfection.

I can honestly say that I will definitely return in the near future & I recommend them to anyone looking or a good meal, that is decently priced for what you are getting.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Service was polite and food was tasty. A good atmosphere and spacious area. Only downfall was we waited a while for the food to be served as we had the 3 course and we felt we sat waiting too long between courses.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Its a beautiful restaurant and its decor is quite upmarket, soft and comfortable seating with cutlery, linen and crockery that impress. When you walk in the ambience gives the impression that the food will be spectacular. I have visited here many times since the opening. The service is of a very high standard and they go out of their way, pleasant faces and smiles. They are very pedantic with the settings and the table water etc being held away on ice from the table is a very nice touch. The starters are tasty but unfortunately inconsistent, one day its very good, one day just average. Try the calamari. The dim sum is good but the sushi is probably the best i have ever had here in Durban. The main courses are good but sadly do not live up to the level of the sushi. Desserts are good but should be much better. I will go because i do enjoy it but for the prices you would expect a bit more especially in the main courses and i am not talking about portion size either. The half price special daily for sushi, dim sum and cocktails is a big drawcard and well planned. If you are a sushi fan you will be hooked.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were really looking forward to eating at Sevruga. There has been a lot of hype around the launch of this restaurant (and its two sister restaurants) in Gateway, Umhlanga. Durban is in desperate need of more fine dining options and we were hopeful this would be it.

While the restaurant looks good, it is quite big and a little loud (not the patrons, but the constant moving around and fussing about by the many staff employed). The food was quite forgettable. We had the dim sum tasting plate to start. Some items were good, but the lamb "buns" were tasteless - completely bland and filling. The sushi platters are good value for money and two of us easily filled up on one "Sevruga" platter between us (only R120). The third member of our party had a gnocchi neopolitana that was pretty stodgy.

Our waitron flitted by constantly asking us if everything was okay. This was a little odd, given that things were clearly not okay - we did point out the problems with the various dishes - she seemed to just digest this information and then moved on!

Finally, no fine dining restaurant should provide wooden disposable chopsticks! I picked up a splinter using mine (which is expected) which was the "icing on the cake".

In spite of this very mediocre experience, I will go back to sample other parts of their very extensive menu. The al a carte section looked good (though the prices seem very high).

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was the most expensive meal we had on the holiday although it was very good. It's a huge restaurant indoors and out with the outdoor area overlooking the water park in gateway. It was closed when we went in the evening so nothing to look at and no view of anything. The service was fine but I didn't like the menus which were pages in the middle of a Sevruga magazine. Strange. There was a lot of sushi on the menu which isn't for me but plenty of variety of other things. The main meals we had were all very nice , Steaks and a curry but we all had a desert and none of them were great. All in all we had a lovely meal but given the cost and the fact that there are so many other nice restaurants I wouldn't bother going back here

1  Thank Curlylocks47