“The service and hotel and view(!) were extraordinary!!”
Review of Beverly Hills

Beverly Hills
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Los Angeles, California
“The service and hotel and view(!) were extraordinary!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

We recently stayed for two nights at the Beverly Hills hotel after a stay at a game lodge in Kwa-Zulu Natal. We arrived prior to check in and fully expected to need to wait - nope! Well, we did wait but while we waited we had a cappuccino on the patio arranged by the manager on duty He also took care of booking a city/harbor the next day while we sipped cappuccino and enjoyed the ocean view and the whales and dolphins - all as we waited (quite reasonably) for our room.

Our room was beautiful, simply beautiful. Very comfortable and nicely appointed. We were on the 5th floor. All of the rooms look straight out on the ocean, the beach, rocks and light house. I'm used to booking hotel rooms where the view dictates the price and so I read room descriptions carefully. I think that this room was classified as "ocean view" which could mean lean out on your balcony to get a view (smile). Not here - I would classify our view (and everyone one else's) as "deluxe ocean front"

Shortly after we arrived in our room, a bottle of wine, water, and a plate of pastries and fruit was delivered to our room! After our warm welcome, cappuccino, and tour arrangements, my husband and I seriously wondered if somehow they had confused us with some VIPs that were supposed to arrive at about the same time - seriously! I actually checked the welcome letter that it had our name on it! And, the outstanding service continued - we were enjoying whale and dolphin watching from our room and mentioned it to a different hotel manager who actually loaned us his really excellent binoculars!

Breakfast was included and was actually an extensive buffet with the option of also ordering hot entrees. The buffet was really plenty in and or itself. I was just tickled (I went full tourist and took a picture) that they had a full piece of honeycomb on the buffet - it was in wood frame and as I looked at it curiously - there was someone right there it ask if I had a question - I just thought it was very cool! It was also the first time I was asked how I wanted my eggs on my eggs Benedict - that was nice!

I was concerned about safety in general in the Durban area and that was a factor in me picking this hotel. Happily, this hotel and area felt very safe. We walked to dinner in the evening. We walked on the promenade along the beach during the day. We used the hotel car to go to the airport.

We've been home for almost a week now and I still smile thinking about our stay and this is the first review I have written from our trip. We live in the Los Angeles area and have gone to many events at "our" Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills. I think the one in Beverly Hills could take a lesson on service from this Beverly Hills Hotel! This was not an inexpensive hotel but I really felt price was appropriate for our experience!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MildredK
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, General Manager at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review .Your wonderful comments certainly do motivate the team. Attention to detail and intuitive service are hallmarks of the hotel and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards
John de Canha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Tzaneen, South Africa
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We were impressed during our stay at The Beverley Hills hotel in Umhlanga , the hotel is very stately decorated , high quality décor , staff were very presentable and rendered excellent service throughout our stay. Dinner was well prepared and the breakfast was impressive. The rooms are very well equipped and comfortable, although we would expect a bigger bathroom. The shower over the bath was a negative point . We will definitely recommend The Beverley Hills hotel to our friends .

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

1 Thank Marinda T
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review .We get much pleasure from reading your compliments which motivate all of us to keep striving for the best service.

We are glad you enjoyed stunning location as well as your dining experience !

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I stayed for two nights on business. The hotel has a wonderful location facing the sea and on my second day, after giving my talk, I walked the 5k promenade in front of the hotel, which is attractively landscaped.

What impressed me most about the hotel was the quality of the service. During my time I asked for an ironing board + iron, a plug adapter, a radiator (middle of winter...) and a comb. All came within five minutes of asking, which I reckon is pretty unheard of in hotels. Benson on the front door and Sandaya at the pool, were super helpful and chatty, and Roger at breakfast sneaked me in after I'd given my talk, as I had to be up too early to eat breakfast at the usual time. The pool area is relaxing and there are even tiny bottles of factor 30 suncream provided, which is a lovely touch.

The menu in the café didn't appeal, but there are a handful of cafés 5 mins walk from the hotel and in the evening, my colleagues and I had a wonderful meal at Isle Maurice which is one minute's walk away.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

We are glad you enjoyed stunning location and we agree the hotel is a very special place!

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Spent the last week at this hotel, good location in umhlanga rocks, on the beach front. Short walk from the swimming area, close to the gateway mall. Room service and pool service was excellent. The hotel was clean well maintained and the staff where friendly, helpful and went beyond the call of duty. Special mention for the guys at the concierge,top notch service. I stayed in the cabana on the lobby floor which was perfect for myself and the family, my parents stayed on the top floor, spectacular views. If you staying in umhlanga this is the place. Spa services are also available in room or at the pool

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel located on the beach. The breakfasts are amazing and the restaurant is also great. There is a little mini private beach, which has Beverly Hills loungers which is really lovely - as are the fruit kebabs you are served on the beach.
Great hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilaSA

Reviewed August 15, 2014

The hotel facilities and location are excellent. We have previously stayed at this hotel in 2012 and the service then was amazing. It has taken a noticeable dip and the attention to detail has dropped over time and therefore the value for money is not longer what is was.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review . We constantly strive to offer intuitive professional service, and constructive comments assist us enormously in this regard.

I am sorry you felt your experience was not as good as your previous visit. I would love to hear details from you. May I ask you to please send me your contact details.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

warm regards
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had a lovely meal there at a private function. Although it was a set menu, it was very enjoyable. Attentive staff, lovely feel from the moment you walk in. Beautiful flower arrangements and what I noticed first thing on entering the beautiful smell - scented candles everywhere! Will definitely like to come and eat at their restaurant again. Pool area looked lovely for those summer evening cocktails.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review .We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We constantly strive to offer intuitive professional service.

We agree with you - we have a beautiful location - we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

warm regards