“The Best of the Best”
Review of Beverly Hills

Beverly Hills
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I say this is the Best of the Best hotels. I have made it a habit to spend at least 2 to 4 niights every year. It is good for relaxing and reflecting on the year. The service is excellent and staff is empowered to serve the guest with the highest level of excellence. My wife loves it and my daughter could not get enough of the swimming pool and playing with sand in at the beach close by. We stayed at Caban 4 with stunning sea views....Beautiful

Room Tip: I have slept in all of them but I fell in love with Cabans
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Public Relations Manager at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review .We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we agree, the pool and pool terrace is a very special place. we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon. Warm regards John de Canha , General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Spent four nights with my elderly mom (who lives in SA ) around Christmas.... hotel staff are extremely attentive and empowered to assist guests. The setting is stunning, with the pool overlooking the ocean. Poolside service was excellent. Breakfast was included in our package and was really exquisite.... Choice and variety worthy of a tropical paradise.... including a glass of champagne that early! The gym is not expansive, but pleasant.
The room was somewhat small but well-appointed. Balconies are a welcome addition on all rooms overlooking the ocean... One annoying detail was the bath, were water would spill over onto the floor no matter how tight the shower curtain was drawn.
I am a finicky guest with high expectations, especially when paying such premium rates, but the hotel more than met expectations. By N.American standards, food and beverage rates were reasonable for this level of service. Would love to return for a more romantic visit with my wife!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Public Relations Manager at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review . We are delighted your stay with us was a memorable one, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Kind regards John de Canha General Manager

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have stayed at many 5 Star hotels around the world, but have never experienced service this good. The staff were attentive and highly personable. If you are looking for a vacation in which all the staff will know your name (despite there being 80+ bedrooms) and in which they will seemingly anticipate what you want almost before you know you want it, then this hotel should be top of your list. The rooms could perhaps be a little larger, but this is more than compensated for by the sea-views and the location. The food is also excellent - and there is a range of great restaurants in walking distance from the lobby.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest - We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Beverly Hills . Our staff are our most valuable asset and creating special memories for each guest is our central focus. we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future Kind regards John de Canha, General Manager

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Perfect location, excellent service and attention to customer specific needs. An overall luxurious experience. In room dining was a slight disappointment, but managers quickly stepped in. Only luxury missing is a spa.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review .We are delighted you enjoyed you stay and that our team responded efficiently to your culinary needs. we hope to see you back soon. Kind regards John de Canha General Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for my anniversary and the moment you enter you are treated like a king. World class service definitely which is unusual in south Africa.

Breakfast is excellent

Car parking is a little cramp but not a major issue

Rooms are elegant. Bathroom is a bit 1980ish but adequate. The seaview from the balcony makes up for it thou :-)

Plenty of bars clubs and eateries in close proximity. Gateway mall is just a drive up the road.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and glad your anniversary was a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future

warm regards John de Canha General Manager

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you find any of my reviews helpful, then please the helpful button at the bottom of the review.

What can I say about this hotel that doesnt make it sound as though I either work for the hotel or have a relative that works there as it is exactly what we expected. You get 5 Star hotels then you get the Beverly Hills at Umhlanga, pure unadulterated luxury in a perfect location.
I struggled for months which hotel to book for this leg of our 4 week trip from the UK to South Africa. I wanted to push the boat out and spoil myself and wife and daughter, so it was between the Beverly Hills and its next door neighbour the OysterBox. In the end two things won me over, the OB was a lot more expensive and also when I stayed in South Africa to watch the British and Irish Lions Rugby team take on the mighty springboks I know that they stayed at the Beverly Hills. So if its good enough for the British Lions Rugby Team then its good enough for me.
We had a slight hiccup upon arrival NOTHING what so ever to do with the hotel, but the agent who had taken our booking clever-hotels (a german based company) had not passed the booking onto the Beverly Hills. So they never had any record of us when we arrived.
The girl on reception at the BH Nickie I think from England could not have been nicer, she instantly called the agent in germany who were at lunch. This was a concern because even though it had all been paid for on the credit card it still goes through your mind what if etc. She told us to go and sit out at the outside pool and get some drinks on her and she would sort it. Within 30 mins she came over confirmed it was all sorted, and as a gesture of good will she was upgrading us to a pool side cabanna suite. It wasnt even any fault of the Beverly Hills but still they upgraded us.
This really settled us down as even though she assured us before hand it would all be sorted there is still that little niggle in the back of your mind, (very naughty though of the agent clever-hotels to keep my money for some 6 months and not pass it on to the hotel).
The room was absolutely stunning just over looking the front pool, we ordered breakfast in the room one morning, well to say it was stunning and way over the top would be an understatement, but in fairness thats what you expect from a hotel of this calibre.
The meals at the hotels restaurant was top top draw as well, everybody and I mean everybody there staff wise, were ever so friendly always asking how are you, what have you been upto today sir, I can highly recommend you try this or that etc. There is a huge differance between go through the motions of asking how hotel guests are just because its your job and actually having a genuine interest and the staff here certainly fell into the latter.
I use gyms a lot and I used the gym here and it had everything you could need if like me you are daft enough to use a gym while on holiday. I wanted to spoil my wife and daughter one day as I noticed quite a few helicoptors coming by the hotel obviously sight seeing, I walked to reception, they made a quick phone call and litterily within 30 mins we were at the nearby airport getting into a chopper, perfect absolutly perfect.
I could go on and on but trust me if your like me and struggle to make up your mind between this hotel and its next neighbour dont deliberate any longer, spoil yourself and book this hotel we were not disappointed and Im sure you wont be either.

Room Tip: The poolside Cabannas are definately worth spoiling yourself as are the breakfasts in bed. Best Eggs...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RoyPartington

Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review .We agree with you, Nikki is an absolute star and like all our staff our most valuable asset. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Beverly Hills in the not too distant future. Kind regards John de Canha ,General Manager

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My first visit to the Beverley Hills Hotel was back in 1997, as a guest of Virgin Holidays. They promised me something special and they weren't kidding. I was welcomed as a king and I felt rather splendid, then I noticed everybody was greeted in the same way, but I still felt splendid!

I wasn't looking for fault, which is just as well as I would have wasted hours on a fool's mission, the Beverley Hills was (and is) truly faultless.

I shared that first visit with Michael Jackson and his merry tour band, so there was every excuse for hotel staff to be flustered, but nothing phased the Beverley Hills. Clearly in the minds of every employee, every guest was equally important no matter how "Bad".

Late in 2012 I got the opportunity to revisit the Beverley Hills. Deep down I was dreading going back as it's like buying a band's finest album - every other one is a bit of an anti climax. But I need not have worried. The welcome was just as strong and completely syncere. Standards, if anything had improved over time, something I would not have thought possible.

Sitting at breakfast I paused to watch a lone kayak pass by with an escort of 15 - 20 dolphins. It's times like that you remember why this Beverley Hills will always knock spots of anything California has to offer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Lorna G, Public Relations Manager at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the not too distant future.warm regards John de Canha, General Manager