“decent budget accommodation conveniently situated”

City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Cheap, well situated directly opposite the entrance to the Gateway shopping centre, clean, modern and perfectly adequate for an overnight stay. Friendly staff, secure location, a business hotel by week and a shopper's hotel by the weekend. The only issue was one of noise at night outside my room (which was at the front of the hotel, facing the cafes outside the shopping centre). I would suggest a room at the side or the rear may be a better choice. That apart, a very pleasant stay, despite the very slow elevator..

Room Tip: Don't take a front-facing room..
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ghanabound

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night so we could go and see a show at the Barnyard Theatre in Gateway. It was a great choice.
The hotel opposite Gateway shopping Centre so we could just walk across to all the resaurants and shops.
There is underground parking for people staying at the City lodge which is very convinient.
The man at reception was great and made us feel very welcome. Check in was easy with no waiting around etc.
The room was comfortable. It had a double bed, dressing table, hairdryer etc. My only complaint was the bathroom. There is a "hole" through from the bedroom to the bathroom so there is no privacy at all if one uses the bathroom. We thought we could pull the shutter down but it turns out one can't.
The rooms overlook Gateway.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have stayed in several hotel around South Africa, especially in Durban. on all my previous visits to this hotel i was always a bachelor therfore the party atmosphere around the area is awesome. Situated on the door step of Gateway shopping centre, which host a variety of activities and a great night life. the use of private cabs in the area is excellent making transportation a breeze, although a bit expensive, R10 per km. the hotel rooms are always clean and fresh. there is no room service but the food outlets at Gateway makes up for that shortage. if you are planning on staying in your hotel room for the duration of your stay then i suggest you give this hotel a miss. this hotel is deal for the young couple that wants to go out and explore. the staff are friendly and the hotel is situated ten min from the beaches.

Room Tip: choose rooms that are on a higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2011

The locality of this hotel is really great as you are literally seconds away from the mall and the breakfast offering I must admit was very impressive and not-too-shabby.

I really would recommend it to the travelling businessman who has limited time, and its a closer to the airport than downtown Durban.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Many thanks for your comments on our hotel. Excellent convenience, great location, ample breakfast are important features for business travellers and we have tried to combine all three at this hotel directly opposite the fabulous Gateway Shopping and Entertainment centre.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Good, modern, clean, comfortable,Good location – easy access to highway. Right in shopping centre so surrounded by good restaurants, shops etc. Probably more suited to business travelers, but also good for leisure travel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank colink114
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I've to South Africa several times in the last 2 years. And since my trip is for 2 weeks each time, I always stay at City Lodge-Umhlanga, over the weekend. I stayed there during my Aug/Sept11 trip also, I find it an excellent place. Friendly staff & good, clean rooms. Also, since it is next to the Gateway Shopping Mall, there are great dining options for lunch & dinner.

The only issue I have is that there aren't too many TV channel options if you want to want to watch TV. The hotel chain can definitely work on that.

Room Tip: Please take a room on the which doesn't face the shopping mall.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank IBMDelhi
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at the City Lodge Umhlanga for two nights early July 2011. I was on a business trip and I had never visited South Africa. The booking was done through my company's travel agent so I cannot comment on that experience.

In terms of proximity to the city center, I am not really sure as I did not get the chance to visit the city but I believe it is located in between the relatively new King Shaka airport (built for the World Cup) and the city center. The location of the hotel was excellent, next to the Gateway shopping mall (which I did not have the chance to visit) and in front of several restaurants. This is convenient as I don't think the hotel has a restaurant. (If it did, I did not know where it was). I arrived late in the evening and was glad to see the room. It was clean, quite big and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and had more than sufficient pillows. The bathroom is quite fancy in that it has a shutter that affords access to the TV whilst one lounges in the tub! There were more than sufficient towels as well.

The breakfast was great and the staff at the dining area were very friendly and polite. The staff at the reception were kind to arrange taxis for me to go to my office each morning.

I had to think about a meal for only one night and the staff provide menus for restaurants around the hotel (Nandos etc) but if I were to spend more nights, I would have to venture out to one of the restaurants.

The fitness centre is nothing to brag about and very basic (one treadmill, cross trainer, cycle and a few weights). It is on the first floor and on my way back to the room on the fourth floor, I noticed several youngsters moving in and out of the hotel and sitting and chatting on the stairs. There was no problem at all and I was not quite sure if there was a banquet hall on that floor but may be better to get a room on the higher floors.

Room Tip: Possibly a room on the higher floors...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business