“Definitely my choice in this price range, will be back!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I was so nicely surprised by this hotel!
I definitely think it should be a 4 star.
The staff on check in and throughout my stay have been friendly, helpful and competent. Everyone from reception, to Thandiswa in housekeeping and even the barman, have made me feel most welcome!
I loved the room! (Well still do, sadly it is my last day). It is really spacious, and done out simply but nicely in blues and browns. There is a little lounge area with sleeper couch and 2 chairs, a dressing table and a "breakfast nook" which I have been doing my work on. There is a small kitchenette, it has a microwave/kettle/toaster and small fridge. I love the fact that I can eat some cereal for breakfast instead of going out all the time.
The bed and bedding are great! The oversize pillows are beyond comfortable, and the linen is a really nice quality. The towels are not great. The bathroom is simple, nice and modern.
There are partial see views, and you look onto parts of the village. Some reviews have said its noisy but I am on the 1st floor and feel like I am part of the vibe, but if I close my windows there is hardly any noise. Others have said the Aircon is noisy, which I guess it is but hasn't bothered me at all!
The "village" with every restaurant available is literally in your doorstep as well as a Woolies, a Spar, a Chemist and Bottle store! What more could you want! Gateway is about 5km away. There are ample taxis at very fair rates.
It is a short walk to the beach, but has a small pool on the roof if you don't want to venture that far.
In case you didn't get it, I love this place and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: December 2012
There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here for the weekend with a friend and its a great place for a weekend away. Easy access to great pubs and restaurants. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. The shower was small but it had great water pressure. Nice kitchen with a microwave, kettle and small fridge. A sleeper couch was also in the room if you had small children with you.
Cons of the hotel.
I disliked having to pay R50 a day extra for parking when it is free in most Umhlangha hotels. The parking lot was small and crammed and your R50 did not mean you would get a spot. This should be mentioned on the hotel site.
The floor below us was a smoking floor and the stink was incredible. I am sure something could be done about that.

Room Tip: Get a room on the Northern Side for a distant ocean view otherwise all you see is a carpark. Try to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Naveshnie, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your valued feedback after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Umhlanga.
Your comments are appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Umhlanga again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Proteain in Umhlanga Rocks before a Capetown journey and liked the place..Clean convenient and with good security if not a bit odd with hours in their restaurant, which was breakfast only. Having said that the hotel is completely surrounded with everything you could need fom diverse and superior dining to basic 6 pack essentials at the Spar Market at the mall across the street. It's a bit pricier than local B&Bs but is only a block from the beach and as mentioned, located smack in the restaurant district..

We ate at a few of the local eateries. They were all great and quite reasonable compared to home here in Hawaii where nearly everything is tourist fare, often quick and dirty and generally overpriced. All of the places we frequented acted like the wanted to see us again,and soon. Some places here in Hawaii have totaly lost that concept by providing a whan bam and (sometimes not even a) thank you maam in the offing.

Liked the spot, the view and the part of town that the Umhlanga Protea is in..I currently have a bum hip and the locale really was convenient for me.. Nice folks in the hotel and our room was well equppied with some cooking gear, utensiles as well as a small fridge and sink..Very nice overall.

Steve

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Umhlanga Protea looks as if was designed by the local infants' school using cardboard boxes, tape and scissors. It was built in two distinct phases so the floors are bizarrely mixed up with the car park and the lobby is accessed through a shopping mall. The corridors are narrow and pokey and the arrangement with the lifts and car parks confusing and insecure and I have never seen an hotel where the bathrooms have high slit windows opening into the corridor, which contributed to my feeling of insecurity. I was given a room on the third floor, which I was told had been recently refurbished.The room was immense, almost an apartment, with kitchenette and lounge area. There was no standard hotel suitcase table but strangely there was a big marble wall-mounted table projecting into the room taking up usable space opposite the bed.

The strangest thing about this hotel is the air conditioning - at the lounge end of the long bedroom is a massive grey steel locally-made Westair unit, which only works when you are in the room and makes a fearful noise, especially while the compressor is running. On entry the room temperature was at 29 c but once the AC unit had got itself cranked up it just about managed to get the room temperature down to a bearable 24 c. The thermostat had been set so that it couldn't go any cooler - probably a good thing because it sounded as if it was about to seize up. This was in early October when it was still fresh outdoors so I really wouldn't want to be there in mid summer. I can't understand why the hotel owners specified a technically backward AC unit when there are some discrete, effective and almost silent split units available from the likes of Mitsubishi.

Breakfasts were modest and the desk staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Don't go there in hot weather!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UkGlobalrider
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just spent ten days at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga Rocks, and I loved it. Everything you need on a holiday is within walking distance of the hotel.

The room was excellent; basically a small bachelor flat with a sea-view. Small kitchenette with a microwave and a bar fridge, large plasma television and its own little lounge.

I will be staying at this hotel when I am in Umhlanga from now on. Excellent value for money.

The staff are extremely helpful, and in this regard I would like to give a special thanks to Anthony, Dion and Steven. Each and every query was quickly resolved, and they are an absolute asset to the Protea Hotel Group. Even though I did not get to meet the housekeeping staff, I would like to extend my thanks to them as well; my room was always ready for us when we returned to the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Naveshnie, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Wayne

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent trip to Umhlanga and your stay with us at Protea Hotel Umhlanga. It will be my pleasure to share your compliments with the rest of the TEAM. I look forward to to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Umhlanga in the not too distant future.
Sylvia De Fries

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed only one night for business, but I imagine I can stay there for a vacation. I had a spacious room with king bed, self catering and sleeping couch. Shower is a bit small, but not to bad. Service was very good. Friendly. Lots of restaurants nearby, so I took a walk so I took a pleasant walk to find a street of restaurants, from take away, to sushi. And the sushi was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Lynn

Thank you for your feedback regarding our spacious rooms and service. Your comments are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you and your family to Protea Hotel Umhlanga again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Personal favourite in the area, and better IMHO than the 4star one on ridge. Great rooms, and ideally situated on the main street with plenty of restaurants in area to choose from. Rooms also have mini kitchenette etc for those who prefer to dine-in, plenty of parking and close to airport (KSIA).

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business