“WORLD CLASS MEAL” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sugar Club

The Sugar Club
Ranked #12 of 131 Restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks
Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Sugar Club restaurant in uMhlanga, which overlooks the sparkling Indian Ocean, is a member of the Chaine de Rotisseurs - a testament to the superiority of its cuisine. Distinguished and elegant, uMhlanga's The Sugar Club is renowned for its consistent culinary excellence and a popular choice for celebrations. The restaurants Wine List is the recipient of the Diners Diamond Award for 2014 and 2015. Every meal is a celebration in the Sugar Club. The Sugar Club is equally renowned for its decadent desserts that are a fitting end to a truly exceptional dining experience. The professional and intuitive staff ensures that guests enjoy the very best service. The Sugar Club is a participating auction wines restaurant, for a full list of these fine wines, please click here. Open seven days per week for breakfast and dinner, with a Sunday buffet lunch and Saturday afternoon Haute tea buffet The Sugar Club dining highlights not to be missed.
“WORLD CLASS MEAL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

my wife and i had dinner at the Sugar Club restaurant last week and i hav to say what an expirience. well presented food that was cooked perfectly and served with style. the chef and the manager came and chcked if everything was ok and it was. well done i will be back

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Executive chef at The Sugar Club, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your meal and service, and hope to see you back at the Sugar Club soon. Kind regards Tony Kocke, Executive Chef .

“Ladies Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

What a fantastic experience at the Moet & Lancome Ladies Lunch on 14 Nov. I was greeted at the Lobby when I arrived as I waited for my friend to arrive and made to feel special immediately. We were then escorted downstairs to Elements Bar for Champagne on arrival before lunch. The staff were all friendly and efficient and kept the bubbles flowing. Lunch was served in The Sugar Club and was faultless...again all the staff friendly and paying us ladies lots of attention especially our waitress Firdos - she is a real asset to the hotel and super efficient. Pickled Beetroot starter followed by the most tastiest Seabass I have ever had and then yummy strawberry mousse for desert washed down with yet more bubbles. Considering this was a booked out event with approx 80 ladies the service was brilliant and well executed. We enjoyed the atmosphere and service so much we will be booking well in advance for the next one. Thank you to all the staff for making this a great day and lots of fun.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Front Office Manager at The Sugar Club, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for your support for our calendar of events. We are planning our events for 2014, and have amazing functions lined up! We are delighted you enjoyed the event and look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the not too distant future . Kind regards Tony Kocke, Executive Chef.
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We chose the Sugar Club to celebrate our son's 18th birthday on Saturday, 26th October & were more than disappointed with both the service & the professionalism of the staff & can state with absolute certainty that we will be setting foot back in to either the Sugar Club or The Beverely Hills Hotel.
The venue is beautiful & really well located (which is why we chose this as the venue to celebrate this momentous occasion) but that is about all they've got going in their favour.
The pricing at this venue is exorbitant - which is not an issue IF you're getting the service that you're (dearly) paying for - but when you're not, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth & we left feeling like we'd been robbed

• 3 of 5 bubbles
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Public Relations Manager at The Sugar Club, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are disappointed to learn of your unhappy experience and are committed to making to right. The hotel prides itself in professional intuitive service and gracious hospitality. I would personally like to make contact with you to discuss further and be in a position to show you that the hotel is worthy of her fine reputation .Kind regards John de Canha, General Manager
Durban, South Africa
“3rd Wedding Anniversary dinner disapoinement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I had been to The Sugar Club just 3 weeks earlier for my birthday - we had a most enjoyable Sunday Buffet - it was faultless. So when the time came for choosing a restaurant for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary - and our very last special meal together before the arrival of our son (I even commented to my wife in the car - "Gosh, this is our last meal out for a very long time - I hope we have a lovely evening" ) we wanted to re-visit. Had we known the Al La Carte was certainly no match for the buffet, we would have gone 'next door' - The Oyster Box.

I have read the negative reviews of this restaurant following our visit for the Sunday Buffet and was aghast at the comments, wondering how on earth people could have had a bad meal / service after the fantastic Sunday we had just had?

I made my reservation online via the Tsogo Sun website and we arrived on time for our 18h30 table that we had specifically requested - thank you for that.

We were shown to our table with the usual chair being pulled out and we were kindly seated and my wife offered a cushion for her back (she is 8 1/2 months pregnant - which is another reason I chose your restaurant - she commented during the Sunday lunch how comfortable the chairs were, and I wanted her to be comfortable this evening too).

Our primary drinks were served - asked for lemon - never arrived - had to ask a second time. We asked for sparkling water which arrived.

Food - starter took forever to arrive (at least 25min) - there were only 3 other tables in the entire restaurant. After the starter was served - we waited another 30min for the mains - there were now 6 tables taken in the entire restaurant.

My primary drink glass was now empty.

I had the pork fillet - beautifully presented, and I was satisfied. My wife had the Prawns that were made to order (thank you to the Chef for accommodating a change to the set menu) - they were on the verge of being burnt - she could not get the shells off , she tried to pry the shell off with her knife, when she eventually did open the shell the meat "was like rubber, I have had better Prawns at the Ocean Basket! "

My primary drink glass - still empty and just sitting on the table.

The meal was removed whilst I opted to continue with my meal. We waited 30 minutes in a practically empty restaurant for her meal to arrive - ridiculous. I had now finished my meal and there we sat staring into the sea waiting for my wife meal - by this time unbeknown to the staff and fortunate enough for the lighting, my wife was in tears - our anniversary was not turning out to the evening we had hoped for. I was offered another drink to which I declined.

My primary drink glass? - still empty and just sitting on the table.

Whilst my wife was eating her 2nd attempt at the Prawns I was offered dessert - I said leave the menu with me, I will take a look. Not 5 min later another waiter arrived and said would you like to order dessert - my answer was no thank you (I was not going to wait another 35min for dessert) - the dessert menu? - left lying on our table - along with - yes, my empty glass...now these may seem trivial issues - but lets face it, aren't we in a 5 star restaurant?

My wife's plate was cleared - we were then approached by a THIRD waiter asking , yes you guessed it "would you care for some dessert"...with two dessert menus in his hand and the one dessert menu still on the table clear as day (its not like you cant miss it - it large !)...I politely gave him our menu and said, "please take these dessert menus away, and no thank you we wont be having any dessert, can I have the bill please?"...

My empty beverage glass from an hour ago with a dead looking slice of lemon in? - oh yes, still on the table...

Not 5min later a gentleman that seems to either be the head waiter or something approached us.....what did he have in his hand? - Yip - two dessert menus - "Care for dessert?" - by this time I had had enough and just said, you are the 4th person to offer me dessert and the second person to which I am declining - I want the bill, we'd like to leave. Another waiter then approached us and said "would you like some coffee or tea?" - inside my head I was like "are these people drunk or something !!! - WHERE IS THE COMMUNICATION AMONGST THE STAFF in a restaurant that only has 6 tables occupied !!!! "

We paid (after leaving a 10% tip - this tip PURELY thanks to the wonderful welcome and personal farewell by name; we received from the the kind Indian lady that was stood at the podium when we arrived and departed, and the fact that she even remembered us from 3 weeks earlier) and as I was walking out an apology was once again made by a senior member of the waiter team - I commented a justifiable "I'm sorry, in future we will be dining next door"

Where was the communication amongst your staff in an empty restaurant?
Over cooked Prawns in a hotel of this caliber?
Waiting over 30min in an empty restaurant for Prawns that did not require any special sauces only lemon butter and garlic butter?
Leaving empty glasses on the table for hours on end?
Leaving menus on the table even after the guest mentions twice that he does not want dessert?

What if I had been the CEO of a major organization? What is I was about to invest in the Tsogo Group? What if I was from the papers and was doing a crit on the restaurant?

I appreciate the fact that the chef went above and beyond to change the menu to assist my wife and her request - but in a restaurant that only had 6 tables occupied, I don't think this was an unreasonable request.

Highly disappointed, I have selected poor under romance as I did not take my wife out for a special meal, only to have her reduced to tears.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Public Relations Manager at The Sugar Club, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Mr Frew Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I was so disappointed to read of your unhappy dinner experience. We strive to offer personalized, professional intuitive service and I sincerely apologize that your needs and expectations were not met. I would like to meet with you so show you that we are worthy of our great reputation . Kind regards Executive Chef, Tony Kocke
Durbanville, South Africa
“Dissapointing service and food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

On Sunday the sixth of October 2013 at 14:50 myself and a friend visited the Sugar cube restaurant at the Beverly hills hotel.

Nobody greeted us at the restaurant entrance and we seated our selves on the patio over looking the sea, after 5 minutes of waiting I decided to seek out a waiter.

My friend ordered an apple pie and I chose to have nothing. We waited 30 minutes for my friend's pie, when it finally arrived the pie was cold ,soggy and tasted mediocre at best. After my friend had reluctantly eaten his dessert, we asked for the bill. The cost for the pie was more than indicated on the menu. I pointed this out to the waiter and he had to check the menu for the price after which he huffily agreed to "Let me have it at the menu price" after consulting his manager.

I am very disappointed by this experience from such a reputable establishment.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BEVHILLSUMHLANGA, Public Relations Manager at The Sugar Club, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to learn of your experience, as we strive to offer professional intuitive service. I would very much like to contact you personally - can you please forward your contact details to lorna.gourlay@tsogosun.com so that I can be in touch with you. Assuring you of my best attention at all times. Kind regards Tony Kocke Executive Chef.