“Seafood at it's best”

Fish
Ranked #12 of 140 Restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An absolutely superb small, but very up-market seafood restaurant in Umhlanga Rocks, northern suburb of Durban. Fish and seafood fresh daily. One of the best seafood and fish restaurants I have ever been to. Took friends and colleagues there three times in November and December 2011.
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

It is not often that food puts a smile on my face. Of recent we have been trying out new and established restaurants, but have been served mediocre food and as a result my pen has had a break for I have had nothing decent to write about. Fish has changed that and I am smiling once again.Effecient service, waitress was there when needed, starters and mains arrived on time.....but you know what......all would have been forgiven,had i been kept waiting for longer than usual, because the food was all about superfresh seafood... prepared simply, by a talented chef. End result delicious. Booking essential as this is a small cosy establishment.

Reviewed September 28, 2017 via mobile

There are better seafood restaurants in Umhlanga, try Jack Salmon, Fish & Wine Co. or The Catch. I took my parents out for supper here. The waitress was appallingly rude, throwing our meals down on the table and handing me a plate so hot I burnt my hands on it, the manager could not have been less bothered, simply wanting to play on his phone/iPod changing the next song.

We ordered fish cakes, prawn and calamari combo's and fish. The food was average, fish over cooked, fish cakes bland and everything was smothered in a generic sauce. The "homemade rolls" were bought ones microwaved to hide the staleness and turned rock solid when they cooled.

What was supposed to be a special night out was ruined by the staff. I will not be returning to this restaurant.

Reviewed September 25, 2017

If you ever go to Umhlanga....you need to go and eat at FISH. Great service, fresh fish to choose from. Fabulous. Waiters and owner very pleasant

Reviewed September 23, 2017

My husband and I visited Fish every time we were in Umhlanga, so travelling back to Umhlanga this year, for the first time on my own since my husband died, I decided to make a booking.
Can you imagine how I felt when I was told that they don't really do tables for one. At that point I had not booked anything else so asked if another day was better for him. No every day was busy. He offered me a one hour slot on the Monday which I took.
How short sighted to not realise that all the people who were dining with him at that moment will at some point be on their own.
The more I thought about how my confidence took a tumble and the importance he placed on his bottom line, the more I decided to make his bottom line the important thing. I just didn't turn up....
Would this scenario have happened if I had been a businessman?
And an hour is plenty good enough for a solo diner, so no need to give a time limit.
I am happy to report that I didn't encounter any other discrimination at other restaurants in Umhlanga and was welcomed unconditionally.

1  Thank Hfairy
Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

If you like fish and seafood this restaurant is a must. They serve Calamari you would die for! Nothing fancy, nothing facelifted in this restaurant. Just real, honest, great fish.