“Twice in one week...”

Fish
Ranked #12 of 140 Restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An absolutely superb small, but very up-market seafood restaurant in Umhlanga Rocks, northern suburb of Durban. Fish and seafood fresh daily. One of the best seafood and fish restaurants I have ever been to. Took friends and colleagues there three times in November and December 2011.
Reviewed September 25, 2017

If you ever go to Umhlanga....you need to go and eat at FISH. Great service, fresh fish to choose from. Fabulous. Waiters and owner very pleasant

Reviewed September 23, 2017

My husband and I visited Fish every time we were in Umhlanga, so travelling back to Umhlanga this year, for the first time on my own since my husband died, I decided to make a booking.
Can you imagine how I felt when I was told that they don't really do tables for one. At that point I had not booked anything else so asked if another day was better for him. No every day was busy. He offered me a one hour slot on the Monday which I took.
How short sighted to not realise that all the people who were dining with him at that moment will at some point be on their own.
The more I thought about how my confidence took a tumble and the importance he placed on his bottom line, the more I decided to make his bottom line the important thing. I just didn't turn up....
Would this scenario have happened if I had been a businessman?
And an hour is plenty good enough for a solo diner, so no need to give a time limit.
I am happy to report that I didn't encounter any other discrimination at other restaurants in Umhlanga and was welcomed unconditionally.

1  Thank Hfairy
Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

If you like fish and seafood this restaurant is a must. They serve Calamari you would die for! Nothing fancy, nothing facelifted in this restaurant. Just real, honest, great fish.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

Just fabulous. Doesn't look much from the outside but superb choice of fresh fish and wines to suit served by delightful well-informed staff.It was lunchtime.I asked for crayfish but was advised that they were a bit small and that I would be better off with the king prawns. The waitress was right. Six fabulous grilled prawns serves with a garlic butter sauce accompanied by chips and Greek salad........a bottle of Bouchard Finlayson Blanc de Mer.....I would have gone back there for dinner but 'she who must be obeyed' had The Oyster Box Lighthouse Bar in mind so that was that....Fish will be a 'must-do' next time in Umhalanga....

Reviewed September 17, 2017

We have been trying to get a table at this restaurant for ages and finally were lucky enough. Now I know why its so hard to get in. The fish is fresh. The seared tuna is the best we have had. I chose a cape salmon from the counter ( then they cook it for you) and it was incredible. It really was "melt in your mouth". My husband had calamari and prawns. Lip smacking. The waitress was knowledgable, efficient and very friendly. Its basic, no frills but fantastic, quality food. We will definitely be back again and will book in advance to get a table if we have too. I'm afraid we will becoming regulars there.