“No wow factor”

Olive & Oil - Umhlanga
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Whatever the occasion, when dining at Olive & Oil, we aim to imbue our Guests with a sense of well-being and comfort. Our friendly staff will be on hand to indulge you with the finest traditions of the Mediterranean – exceptional food and unrivaled hospitality. Our motto is simple; comfortable food made exceptionally well!
Durban
“No wow factor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Olive and Oil Umhlanga. Firstly I will start with positive.. the service and waiters were brilliant, the restaurant spotless. We also received a complimentary bottle of still water which was a nice surprise. The negatives - firstly we felt the restaurant lacked light.. I understand low lighting to create a warm atmosphere, however some candles on the table may have helped to see what was on our plates! Secondly I felt that being a Greek type restaurant, they should have played music to suit, however we had French music in the back ground. My husband ordered the sole, and at R129, we expected more than what we received. The sole was very small, and once the fish was off the bone, was probably about 80g of fish. We ordered roast potatoes and got baby potatoes that tasted like they had been boiled the day before and then deep fried at the last minute.. very disappointing and the fact that they added so many potatoes on our plate, to make up for lack of "food"...really did not help!! The lemon butter on the side was very watery and lacked flavour.. again disappointing.. if that had been rich and creamy perhaps it would have been able to drown the bland flavour of the potatoes. I ordered the deep fried calamari which was very average, again with roast potatoes that were incredibly sad! I really feel that, at those prices, they should add a little veg or some other colour to ones plate. We really felt the meal was very average, and not value for money at all. It is very sad, but even though there were some positives, there was nothing about the evening that would make us want to return for a second visit... and this is what I feel is sadly lacking in Durban restaurants - the WOW factor. If I am to pay between R100 - R130 for a meal I expect to at least enjoy it thoroughly. Like most people, dining is out is a luxury these days, so when we do venture out to part with our hard earned money we do expect MORE!!

We hope that you do not take offence at our criticism. It is offered in the spirit of improving your restaurant to an even higher standard. A lack of constructive criticism, on the other hand, would give you a misleading impression that all is well and that no improvements are necessary.

• Visited January 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service and good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We were very impressed with the service at Olive and Oil and, I might add, so have many of my b&b visitors likewise been impressed. The food was very tasty. Definitely a restaurant to be recommended in Umhlanga.

1 Thank LesPats
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Xmas feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked a Xmas lunch for the family. This was a set menu with 4 choices per course. The food was very well prepared and presented. The courses were served with ample time in between each course. This made for a very festive lunch (complete with Xmas crackers)

1 Thank FrankZA368
Centurion, South Africa
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I had dinner on two occasions recently at Olive and Oil. On our first visit we were very impressed by the delicious, freshly prepared food and friendly service. We decided to have our last dinner here before returning home. We ordered wine and the seafood platter. Later on they informed us that they had our order wrong and eventually our platter arrived an hour after ordering. Although it was truly divine, we did not expect this kind of mishap in a upperclass restaurant like this.
I am sure this does not happen often, for it is definately worth dining at Olive and Oil.
We will be back!

1 Thank zerwickrenatevictor
Ballito, South Africa
“yummy food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

this review is for the Ballito resturant. I hosted a bridal shower this past Saturday for 30 ladies! Nicky and Dom were very busy seeing to our every need and served food on time and cleared tables and saw to my every request. The bride to be was very happy with her shower and everyone had a good time.Thank you for Olive and Oil for making it happend.