“Great stay”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great stay”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Neat and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Great breakfast. The stay, whist for business, was made very comfortable by the ambiance, well situated hotel, and friendly staff. Based on my first experience at this hotel I will be making this my "hotel of choice" when in Durban for business going forward.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel has a great location with it being in the middle of everything. The beach is a short drive down the hill; the shopping mall is a short walk around the corner. The views are nice from the hotel. The pool is small but gets you wet when you get too hot. I think the staff require a bit more refining as I often found them talking loudly to each other in the public spaces, not very professional. The rooms are spacious but not enough cupboard space to unpack our clothes into. The television system is horrible and froze a number of times requiring it to be reset. Rooms have inter-leading doors that are paper thin, many early mornings we were unhappily woken up by a baby next door that would cry for an hour or two, at nights our neighbours would sit and talk with friends in the room and we could hear every word while trying to fall asleep. The lifts are irritatingly slow and one can wait quite some time before one with enough space arrives to collect you. No bacon or pork is served in the hotel as the kitchen is Halal, I don't find this to be very international and believe a hotel should cater for all and not just one religious group.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. You'll get a great view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly reception and manager at reception. Refused to give early check-in by even 30min saying hotel was full but check out for previous nights guest was 2 hrs 30min before I wanted to check in. They would not even offer a drink while they made me wait for a room. Overall the staff and manager is pathetic.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ytarmahomed
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just checked out of your hotel and we had an awesome experience... The hotel was close to Gateway and we really enjoyed shopping there. The hotel is well designed and the friendly hotel staff ensured that we enjoyed our holiday. The pool on the third floor was small however we did enjoy our time spent on the pool deck. It was spacious and we could enjoy the sun. The gymnasium was great however small also.

Room Tip: Always ask for the corner rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My perfect honey moon getaway. I arrived at the hotel and felt like a VIP. My bags were immeditely carried for me by the helpful porter who directed us to reception. Their reception area was modern and comfortable. We were swiftly checked in and were amazed by the design of the interiors. We had a great view overlooking the ocean. The room was modern and very peaceful. Compliments to the staff who arranged our room for our arrival, they made it very special. Breakfast was amazing we had so much to choose from with excellent views of the ocean again from the restaurant while you eat. The staff were so helpful they made my stay even better. Overall a perfect getaway especially if you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here for our last day/night prior to flying home, the plan being to relax outside by the pool

Well the room was nice, bet the management say thanks for the positive comments re the room

We checked in at midday, went to the room and unpacked, research of the hotel was competed via internet. Booked via Bookings.com

So downtime here we come..........

Off outside to the pool area, well there is plastic grass, appreciate on fourth floor of hotel but

No furniture at all, tables, chairs, loungers. I did find several thrown away in corner damaged.

No staff to assist re drinks etc

I was not going to end a great holiday in this fashion

Off I went to get a decent hotel, came back one hour later and spoke to the reception

A very nice lady but what can she do apart from offer me a lounger? the ones they had are broken. As said not willing to stay end of holiday here

We had not used the room or anything, spoke to the Manager who said we had to pay as bookings.com had to refund us. This has since been proved as false

The manager was almost panicking at the thought of us not paying, my card had not been cleared and I could have walked out. But I am an honest person so I paid and took the manager at his word

I would not recommend this place for holiday people, maybe ok for business but did not check

I do know the stairs to the business center were broken

I am unable to get any money out of the hotel, I could have lied and said I had to leave due to emergency or not paid but unlike certain people I am honest

Be interested to hear what tale the hotel give, I bet they say we offered an alternative solution, which was a plastic lounger

This is the first time I have ever left a hotel like this and indeed complained

I marked as poor not terrible as the superior room was good

Thanks

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Umhlanga Rocks hotels

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference. The room was comfortable with good views but with a connecting door to the next room, we were able to hear the conversation of our neighbours.
Lift system inadequate for size of hotel. Also security only allowed you to access the floor your room was on and public areas. Fire doors made it difficult to use stairs.
The swimming pool was cold and small and the towels for the pool had to be collected from reception on a different floor. The gym was poor too.
Breakfast was tasty but the service slow and at times confused.
Easy access to large shopping mall and restaurants but a long walk to the beach.
Close to the King Shaka Airport.

• Stayed October 2012