All reviews gateway mall walking distance heated pool breakfast and dinner breakfast staff excellent hotel the hotel staff in room dining enjoyed my stay clean rooms close proximity hotel is situated excellent stay bar fridge business hotel room service business trip
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Garden Court, Umhalanga is a great palce to stay with a family. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast was ideal with plenty of choice. The pool is small and heated, almost too heated! The hotel is not far from King Shaka airport and is a short drive from the sea front and a 20-25 min drive to central Durban. Gateway Mall, with its shops, restaurants and entertainment centre is a 5 min walk from the hotel. There is a car park situated under the hotel which was free of charge for hotel guests and was very convienient. Overall the hotel staff were friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 night stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with children and need 2 rooms ask for room numbers 315 and 317. The rooms are next to each other but are accessed via a lockable door leading to a small hallway. This enabled us to leave bedroom doors open in case the children need to see us.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are tastefully decorated, the beds are comfortable, the bathroom facilities are excellent and the amenities offered are great. Breakfast was a sumptuous affair and the convenience of this hotel with its proximity to the airport (I arrived in at the King Shaka airport in the evening) and to Gateway Mall and Umhlanga Rocks more than makes up for the lack of view.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Southern Sun’s Garden Court Umhlanga, is the perfect place to stay if you are heading for KZN's north coast, for a break.

The Hotel is within walking distance to the famous Gateway Mall, which hosts an array of shops and restaurants, movie etc.

Apart from this, it suited our needs insofar as it was in the middle of Durban’s beachfront and Ballito Bay, which we frequented. It is positioned behind the Sharks Board and along a quiet street, thereby affording one a good peaceful night’s sleep. No traffic noises or rowdy parties from the neighbours. We had a room with a sea view and this was special for us.

What is worth mentioning is the staff – we stayed for 5 nights and this over the Easter weekend and it was very busy as you can imagine, yet the staff were fantastic. Management at Garden Court have the right recipe, which is carried through to their staff. Breakfast was a treat each day and the Supervision on the floor was par excellence.

Room Tip: Try for a sea facing room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel and from a business traveller perspective it fitted the bill nicely. It is well situated, not far from the freeway and the airport and this was especially relevant as I had flown in from Johannesburg and wanted something close by to where I was presenting. There are plenty of restaurants in close proximity. The room was bright, airy and user-friendly. I would recommend this as a good base for people doing business in the Umhlanga area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel after a traumatic day that involved my toddler son being admitted to Umhlangha hospital. My husband stayed with the child overnight and I went to find a hotel to stay in. I only checked in after 8pm but the staff where so helpful and friendly.
The room was very comfortable and the furniture brand new. You can see they had designers in to help with this hotel. The whole place has a modern feel to it. The shower has great pressure and the bed was super comfy.
In the morning the breakfast was incredible. The selection was huge and all of a very high quality.
When I checked out the staff asked about my son and insisted I go to the hospital and give my husband my room card so he could go to the hotel and shower and have breakfast.
They were so friendly and helpful.
I will return to this hotel for a lovely weekend break very soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo