“freshest seafood-served in skillet”
Review of Ocean Basket

Ocean Basket
Ranked #24 of 136 Restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We liked the affordable prices, taste & presentation of the food.We had a prawn,calamari & fish medley in a mild curry sauce- delicious. There wasn't anyhting that we disliked at this restaurant

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is the second time that i have visited the Ocean Basket since relocating to Umhlanga in the beginning of december 2012. Upon entering the establishment, i was greeted by a lady who was not very welcoming at all, then proceeded to ask me if i would like to sit inside or outside, to which i replied outside please. Upon seating me down, i received the standard bread roll and 1 butter together with the standard side sauces that you get. I then had to wait about 15 minutes before a waiter came to me and took my order. Upon looking around, and taking notes visually, my table cloth looked like it had not been changed in a while or worse off that it had not been washed, "seriously, in a restaurant environment, hygience and cleanliness should be of importance"clearly not here".
Upon receiving my food, which i was really looking forward to, i was not overly impressed by the presentation, as it looked like everything that i had ordered was piled ontop of each other. Worse off the food was not piping hot at all, instead it was warm, almost as if it had been standing at the pass for a while.
During my meal, there was a waiter, whose friends obviously came to visit him and had a meal, instead of looking at for the best interest of other customers dining there, he rather stood at the table with his friends planning what they were going to do later and where they were going to meet and the language that was being used was that of a very vulgar nature.
What got my blood boiling even more is that i watched him chewing on his finger nails and spitting them out all over the patio where myself together with other customers were trying to enjoy a medioca meal.
"What kept on going through my head the whole time" was that i hope before he touches anyone elses food or beverage that he washes his hands which i highly doubt.

This is sadly not the Ocean Basket that i remember that i used to frequent when visiting when i was just another holiday maker in Umhlanga.

Sadly my last visit and never again.Lucky i had complimentary meal vouchers.

Management you should definately send your training on cleaniness, hygience and overall service standards which clearly is lacking in a very big way.

1  Thank casual_diner434
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Always eat at Ocean Basket Umhlanga. The seafood is always good at amazingly good prices.Ocean Basket Umhlanga is a must visit.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The food quality was good but nothing spectacular. The service was very good. It is within walking distance from the resort and we could therefore enjoy a good bottle of wine and not drive.

1  Thank Padlangs
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is certainly no upmarket seafood place but the prices reflect that. The Famous Fish and chips is only R38 for two pieces of fish with chips and a lemon butter sauce. We always find the service to be good and the place clean and they always recognise us the second time we visit.

They do have a huge selection of more exotic dishes which always look tempting as they go past.

We enjoy it.