“Bad experience at a great establishment”
Review of Valdior

Valdior
Ranked #12 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2013

A weekend away on the east coast is always a pleasant experience for me. It is a user-friendly exercise with a short flight of only one hour duration and then a short drive from the airport to either Umdloti, Umhlanga or Ballito. I have tried many of the guest houses along this strip of coastline and found them all to be good. Using booking.com also makes planning really easy. so, it was to my horror that I discovered that I had been placed in the smallest room with zero view and a tiny bed (double if that !) when I had specifically reserved a deluxe room with "ëxtra large king size bed"These beautiful rooms do exist on the upper floors but I was allocated the rather musty smelling pokey little hole called Augusta (Room 6) instead. Sandra (manageress) and Joanna (owner) were both most apologetic about the mix-up and offered to try to get me a room elsewhere. I decided to stay as it was only one night and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast the next morning before checking out. They really need to sort out the communication problem between booking.com and the guest house.

Room Tip: Avoid augusta Room (number 6) at all costs
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights with my wife in the Florentine suite. Service from the lady from Zimbabwe was top class, nothing was too much trouble and breakfast was wonderful. I cannot praise this place highly enough!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Valdior for two nights and it was a great experience. On arrival we were greeted by Sandra who seemed to be at our beck and call throughout our stay and always with the widest smile. The room (Claudia suite) was perfect with a terrace overlooking the ocean. Breakfast was a feast cooked by Sandra and served by another charming member of staff. Overall a great location.

Room Tip: Go for one of the second floor rooms with terrace
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

As a regular traveller, I was looking forward to my one night stay at this hotel. Reviews were good and I decided to book at the Valdior. I was booked in the best room with wonderful views on the balcony. Spacious room with a small kitchenette and a big bathroom. For me the shower was a disappointment. Difficult to regulate the water temperature. Shower water came through very slowly. Water temperature hot and suddenly cold. A very quick shower and off to breakfast. The best thing for us was the staff. Very helpful, kind and friendly. Breakfast spread is limited but was good for me. The room was noisy at night....with the fridge. I am hesitant to book again. For the price we paid, I don't think it was value for my money.

Room Tip: I believe the smaller rooms offer better value.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our first stay for 2 weeks, and it was the best start for vacation. great room (we stayed in florentine Suite). we only spend 2 nights, but those were excellent. very nice and helpful staff.
great spot to go for Sightseeing in Durban (15 Minutes by Car), or Shopping in Gateway (10 Minutes by Car).
just 5 minutes by car to towncenter of umhlanga with a great "Havanna" Restaurant - really to recommend.

Room Tip: the florentine Suite is the greates choice on "Roof top" with your own private terrace
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Valdior for 5 nights. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is clean and the rooms are nice.

We had two problems: the pool was green 2 out of 5 days and we could not use it.

The Internet did not work for 2 out of 5 days. When we left the hotel they charged us zar 700 for the use of the internet for the 3 days we could use it!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We only spent one night at the Valdior Hotel but it was a pleasant stay. The hotel and the room were tastefully done. It all looked very clean. I loved the lounge, it felt warm and comfortable just looking at it. Sandra and the other staff I chat with were very friendly. The location was very good, it was on a very quiet street, but near the beach and the restaurants. I can't say anything about the breakfast because we didn't have breakfast at the hotel. A few minor things I didn't like, but I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want views of the sea, I think the Claudia and Florentine rooms are the ones to book. But for...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple