“Great Service, Great Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had stayed at this property on a couple 1 nighter business trips to South Africa. After flying in from the States, its nice to have something close to the Airport that is quick. This time however, I was staying for two weeks and l did not know what to expect. As I was going to be there for an extended period of time, I asked to have an ocean view and the clerk at check in accommodated me. For me the room was perfect. They gave me two double beds so I slept in one and used the other as my personal file cabinet to keep all of my business documents together. Wi-Fi was great except for the two times or three times it kicked me out and I had to get a new voucher number from the front desk. The entire system also went down twice during my stay but that is to be expected as the same thing could happen at home. I already knew what to expect from breakfast as I had been there before and it was OK but the items like eggs and meat were often cold. One day the food was so cold that I had to asked one of the waiters to take my plate to the microwave and warm it up. However, on this trip, I had the opportunity to eat next door at the Butcher's Block Restaurant. The food was better than I expected for a hotel restaurant. However, the real plus for me was having Gateway Mall and its untold number of eating places. I must have eaten there at least 10 times during my stay and never ate at the same restaurant twice. My wife was not traveling on this trip so shopping did not factor in, but it is great to have such a wonderful facility within walking distance. All in all, it was a very pleasant trip and I have NO major complaints except these two. Yes I know it is an "Express" property but management should REALLY CONSIDER CONVERTING ONE OF THEIR BANQUET ROOMS TO A WORK OUT ROOM WITH AT LEAST A TREADMILL, A UNIVERSAL GYM OR FREE WEIGHTS. In this day of healthy living, I could not believe that they could not or would do this. I was told by the clerk at check out that this is single most item that guests ask for. Complaint number 2 is their uh "Business Center". It is tucked away in the back of the dining area. However, I you want to print something you have to send it to the front desk or email it to the front desk clerk. I had a confidential document that I needed to print and was not totally happy about it being saved on someone's (HIE)server. On top of that, they could only print in Black and White--NO COLOR Duh! The hotel could easily purchase two printers for the two computers that they have in their Business Center for under R5,000. Would I recommend this hotel to others YES! Will I consider staying there again YES!

Room Tip: I would suggest any rooms from 20's through 30's (e.g. 225, 330, etc.) facing the East towar...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you for your extremely informative review from your recent stay with us and your comments have been shared and addressed with our team. We are so pleased that our staff were able to accommodate your Sea Facing room request and that you had a great dining experience at Butcher Block Restaurant. We are very fortunate with our location – great sea views from our Great Room, close to KingShaka International Airport and within close proximity of Gateway Theatre of Shopping.
We certainly value your support of our Holiday Inn Express Durban-Umhlanga and certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga

Reviewed July 12, 2014

As usual reception was good, as they know I've stayed before and a Platinum member given choose of rooms ( Note, Nicest rooms, near the lift have abysmal WiFi so it's nice room or good communication).. Butchers Block is good value, Breakfast is good by comparison to world wide standards... Only complaint on this trip was the laundry service who LOST three pairs of jeans. As Im in Durban for 4 months I had to revert to the shops to replace.. Reception really didn't give it full attention stating ridged rules, passed to GM who bleated on about the rigid rules etc.... In essence if they had been delivered back I would not have been standing talking to her in track suit pants !
Bronwyn, no need to reply, have already put my incoming work crew in the hotel.. just warned them and anyone else that your "ridged rules on laundry " are a dream that you are all having

Room Tip: Request sea view and mid block for good wifi or near lifts for size of room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for feedback from your recent stay with us. We are sorry that you did not receive the high standard of service expected of an international brand and ensure you that every effort is taken to ensure guest satisfaction, including the services provided by our outsourced laundry. We certainly do value our IHG Rewards members, such as yourself and do appreciate your loyalty shown towards our brand. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Umhlanga over night on the first night on a tour of the Coast. We arrived late due to an accident and consequent heavy traffic but reception staff were welcoming and efficient. Our room was reasonable (at the back of the hotel facing the carparks/pool area but very clean with plenty of towels etc. We had booked a family room though, (2 adults & 1 child) and there were no provisions for this. No obvious extra bed, bedding or towels. We called down to reception and were told that this would be rectified while we were at dinner.

We ate in the in-house restaurant, The Butcher Block, which was more than satisfactory - super food and service and a reasonable bill. Would be extremely happy to return! On our return to our room, at almost midnight, there was still no sign of the bed/bedding.

2 trips to reception and the rejection of a sole filthy blanket we were offered later, we finally received 2 clean sheets at 1.30am. But no pillows or anything else. The helpful on-duty security guard delivered theses as there were no housekeeping staff available to open stores. Pretty shoddy service from a hotel this big and not good in comparison to the service in other Holiday Inn hotels which is usually excellent. The 'bed' is the sofa that is in the room. Please be aware of these issues when booking a family room. In the morning the reception staff were non-plussed about such a disruptive night for their guests when we approached them about the situation.

Breakfast was plentiful if slightly bland. We were offered beach towels to use on our trip to the beach which is a nice touch. I would stay at the Holiday Inn Umhlanga again as I would hope the terrible service was a one-off. It's a nice, if generic, hotel and it's well situated with plenty of safe parking. Would like to see it live up to the Holiday Inn reputation for impeccable service though.

Room Tip: You can request a sea view but for a short stay I was more than happy with a view of the pool area...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at our Express Hotel .We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet with our normal high standards expected of an international brand and your comments have been addressed with the relevant department to ensure going forward we don’t have a similar occurrence. We are pleased that you did enjoy the facilities on offer at the outsourced Butcher Block Restaurant as well as our Express Brand Breakfast during your stay. We certainly do hope that you will continue to make use of the Holiday Inn Express Brand for your accommodation needs.
Kind regards

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Spent 3 nights in the this hotel, and was pleasantly surprised. Usually Holiday Inn's are just Ok but this one was fantastic. The staff are super friendly, the hotel is clean and appears to have been recently remodelled.
Having to put your room key into a card reader to activate the electricity in the room is quite annoying as you can keep the room cool while you are away. I understand why this is being down and the hotel is attempting to be as ECO friendly as possible, so this is a really nice idea from that prospective, but, if you are not used to this system you will lock your room key in your room a few times.
The biggest issue for me as a foreign traveler was that the rooms have no clocks,and my phone did not work while I was in South Africa (a whole different story) so I had no idea what the time was.
This hotel is an amazing value, has a beautiful deck and because it is set on the hill you have a view of the ocean which is about a mile away.
If you are staying anywhere in the Umhlanga area and have meetings in Durban then expect pretty bad traffic on the freeway during peak periods.

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean is good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for your valued feedback. We certainly are pleased that you appreciate our effort for being ECO friendly and furthermore that you had the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful ocean views from our Great Room Balcony,

Peak traffic can result in delays and as per your recommendation; it is always advisable to leave 15 minutes earlier to reach those early morning appointments on time!

Again, we certainly value your positive feedback and recommendations and certainly do look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I checked in on Monday12th May, and checked out on the 13th. This was my second stay at this hotel. Very centrally located as a launch pad to Durban, Ballito and surrounding areas. By staying at this hotel you'll be very close to major road networks, and away from the traffic. The rooms are tastefully decorated and spacious enough with showers. Some rooms are sea facing and there is undercover parking (you pay) and open parking that is free. Their rate includes breakfast which has a reasonable choice of hot and cold food. The dining staff is super efficient, clearing tables immediately, that I like. There is restaurant on site which has the same menu as the in-room dining. They don't do room service but use an order and collect service, where they bring your order to the entrance near the restaurant. There is a nice sea view from the hotel if you choose table more towards the end. The food is good and their portions are huge. I had their oxtail served with mash potatoes and vegetables. The hotel is a stone's throw from Gateway shopping Mall which closes very late everyday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for your very informative and helpful feedback to fellow travelers in Umhlanga! We certainly do value your positive feedback of our Hotel and will definitely relay your restaurant experience to Butcher Block Restaurant. Looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Just an overnight stop but clean, comfortable and helpful staff. Plumbing problems with the first two(!) rooms were attended to sympathetically and promptly involving a change of room. Perhaps, though, maintenance systems need to be looked at?
The adjoining/related restaurant facility was very good.
Inclusive breakfast comprehensive and good.

Room Tip: Sea view while not 'stunning' was pleasant and must be preferred to an inland view I suspect...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michael_staddon
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for your review and for bringing to our attention the maintenance concerns which were addressed during your stay. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are pleased that you enjoy our Express Breakfast Offering. We certainly do hope you will continue to make use of the Express Brand Properties.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Lovely hotel with Immense views. Brilliant breakfast. Secure Car parking. Lovely room with coffee making facilities. Very clean. Lovely restaurant attached to hotel that served lovely food at very reasonable prices.
Pool was good (a little small). Very reasonably priced
Friendly, helpful staff! Close by to shopping centre.
Perfect location for a beach break whilst in South Africa!
Cannot wait to go back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durban - Umhlanga, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for your extremely positive feedback from your recent stay at our Hotel. We are so pleased that we could make your stay in our beautiful country such a pleasant one. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.