“Needs a very big overhaul”
Review of Anchor's Rest

Anchor's Rest
Ranked #1 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We were very disappointed with our stay here. We had to move room after the 1st night as the bed and room were smelly due to dampness.Our next room was not much better as the bathroom needed a big renovation. Monkeys flying around the extablishment all day long and they carry rabies!!. Our hosts were acccommodating but it spoled our holiday and we were too tired to move to new accommodation. We dont know how it has a 4 star rating .

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clare1Ireland
Benson2008, Owner at Anchor's Rest, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Thank you for your comments. We were very distressed to receive your review as we were under the impression that everything had been resolved to your satisfaction. On being made aware of your unhappiness with the original room that you were booked into we immediately dealt with your concerns.
We replaced the beds and linen in your room immediately, however as you still wanted to change rooms we moved you into a sea facing two roomed suite straight away. We do apologise most sincerely for your having been inconvenienced by having to move to another room when you were so tired.
We mentioned to you that if a guest is unhappy, we are unhappy as we are passionate about our business so we offered you a night's free accommodation as well as a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. We were concerned about your being comfortable and happy with the new room which you were in, so we asked you if you were pleased with the room, to which you replied it was perfect, so we were under the impression that the room met with your requirements. We would really have appreciated it if you had spoken to us about any concerns that you had at the time, which was five weeks ago.
Regarding your comment about the bathroom needing a big renovation. If the style and décor is not to liking I can understand this as taste is a very personal issue. However, if as you claim the bathroom does need a big renovation, then our guest house would not have been re-awarded a 4 star grading as the grading criteria are very stringent. We have had a 4 star grading for the last 8 years which we are very proud of as a lot of hard work and dedication goes into achieving a 4 star grading. Our guest house also has a grading of "Superior" from another well-known South African organisation and Anchor's Rest was one of 5 finalists in South Africa in a highly prestigious Accommodation Awards Competition last year.
Monkeys habitat the African continent and have been here for centuries. They do occasionally forage in the trees of residences which delights most visitors who rush to fetch their cameras. We are sorry if they made you feel uneasy but we can assure you that they do not carry rabies and have never caused anybody any harm.
We would welcome you back to Anchor's Rest Guest House at any time in the future.
Yours sincerely
Cilla and Peter Rose
Owners

Reviewed May 17, 2010

When we re located to South Africa from the U.K. my wife and I used Anchors Rest as our base for one month untill we could find a home to buy.We use trip advisor always before we book and after reading all the comments finally chose Anchors Rest. I am very fussy where I stay and I do complain if things are not corect.
I must be pefectly honest I was very surprised to read the comments from Garyarn. I could not believe it was the same Guest House and the same people he was talking about. We found Cilla and Peter Rose delightful, charming hosts and nothing was to much trouble, they introduced us to a wonderful estate agent who helped us find a very nice property, they were also very helpfull in explaining the best areas to look for property in Durban. As for the position of the Guest House it cannot be faulted very close to an excellent shopping centre Gateway the beach and the nightlife. The decor and ambience was great. We spent a very happy month with them which helped us get over leaving the U.K. Sorry Peter and Cilla I should have written this review a long time ago I have just been so busy.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I stayed 7 nights recently at this guest house. In my 25 years of staying in lodgings through Europe, Africa and the USA I have never come across such a terrible host in Peter Rose. The guest house advertises to have WIFI but when I tried to use it on 3 occations it only took my funds and did not work. Peter Rose then reluctantly let me use his computer in the foyer for 5 minutes but as I was using it I could hear him directly above me upstairs saying "he is using my [--] computer" I had a number of incidents with Peter Rose who is, apparently the CEO of Umhlanga tourism, and at all times he was verbally abusive and rude. I paid 700 Euros for my 7 night stay but had it not been paid upfront I would have checked out after my 1st night. I could go on about his terrible behaviour and attitude but this would take too long. He stated to me that the Guest house is his wife's business and he only helps out. To salvage anything from this Anchors rest he should stay well clear of all customers! His language is appauling at all times and he is very short tempered.

This is truely a place to avoid and hes very much put me off using guest houses ever again as I would prefer to be treated as a paying guest in an hotel !

On one good note the lady at reception was always very kind and curtious.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank Gary A
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This has to be the best guest house we have ever stayed in. Just simply can not be faulted.
The facilities, accommodation and the warm welcome extended to us by Peter, Cilla, Sandy and the rest of their staff was superb. This is a must for anyone visiting Umhlanga Rocks and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Having read all the reviews of Anchors Rest, it is difficult to add anything to the wonderful reviews already submitted.
We have stayed with Peter , Cilla and Sandy every year since 2004 and totally agree with everything written about the B&B.
The accommodation is beautiful, the setting perfect and the inobtrusive professional service provided is second to none.
We hope to return next year

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bandwScotland
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We enjoyed our stay. Great location, close to the beach, restaurants and bars. (walkable) Our room was so large we where really able to enjoy it. Bathroom huge with bathtub and seperate shower. Beautiful heated pool. Loved the upstairs shared living area, and self serve bar. (honor system) Breakfast could not be beat. Would not stay any where else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We have visited the Anchors Rest 5 times since 2003.
Our last trip was February 2009 with my parents.
My parents have been with us on 3 other trips

We would never stay anywhere else in Durban.

The Anchors Rest:
From the minute you walk in the peace & tranquilly hits you, the green lush gardens add to the ambience. As there are only a handful of apartments you feel like you have the place to yourselves. There is an immaculate guest lounge with comfortable sofas to relax on adjoining a lovely terrace where we have spent many evenings relaxing.
The pool is always warm. The whole place is kept to a very high standard and is absolutely spotless.

Location.
It could not be better, being only a 5 minute walk to the centre of Umhlanga which boasts many great restaurants which cater for formal or informal dining meals and the best seafood and steak we have eaten anywhere on our travels. Also a couple of supermarkets which stock everything you need.
It is only a 5 minute walk from the beach which has safety flags and lifeguards. The beach is like most in SA clean and appealing for all ages.

Rooms:
Our favourite is the Yellowwood room. We like opening our door and having a view of the gardens which has the feel it’s your own as it is totally secluded. The room is spacious and as everything else in the Anchors rest tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. It has tea/coffee and a fridge, air con & fan & satellite TV.

My parents prefer the Strelitzia room as it overlooks the pool and has its own awning with sun beds & table & chairs.

The Owners:
Peter & Cilla are without doubt the best hosts we have encountered on our travels. They are friendly, very informative about the local area and have always made us feel very welcome every time we have stated there. There are always on hand if you need them.

We have stayed on a B&B basis before. The breakfasts are always cooked to order and are excellent, noting is too much trouble. There is a variety of fresh fruit, cereals & yogurts.

Sandy who takes care of the bookings is also very welcoming, friendly and is also very knowledgeable about the local area and has her own small tourist business and can arrange lots of different trips to suit your taste.

Overall
We only have high praise and regard for the Anchors rest . We normally stay in 4/5 star hotels when we travel and this sits right up there with any place we have stayed and is by far the best smaller hotel and it fully deserves its 4 star rating.
Look no further you have found the best place to stay in Umhlanga Rocks - Durban.
I am happy to answer any questions you have.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob40