Anchor's Rest
$155
  • Pool
$83
$80
AHA Gateway Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$115
$93
Agoda.com
Royal Palm Hotel(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$183
$82
Agoda.com
The Oyster Box(Umhlanga Rocks)
$385
$279
Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$115
  • Pool
The Sibaya Lodge(Umhlanga Rocks)
$93
Teremok Marine(Umhlanga Rocks)
$291
Agoda.com
Garden Court Umhlanga(Umhlanga Rocks)(Great Value!)
$135
$114
Orbitz.com
Breakers Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsb bfully stocked honesty barguest houseself cateringgarden roomfew minutes walklovely promenadehome away from homelovely guesthouselovely swimming poolthe perfect place to staybars and restaurantsgreat positionsun loungersinternational airportloved our staycentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I stayed 7 nights recently at this guest house. In my 25 years of staying in lodgings through Europe, Africa and the USA I have never come across such a terrible host in Peter Rose. The guest house advertises to have WIFI but when I tried to use it on 3 occations it only took my funds and did not work. Peter Rose then reluctantly let me use his computer in the foyer for 5 minutes but as I was using it I could hear him directly above me upstairs saying "he is using my [--] computer" I had a number of incidents with Peter Rose who is, apparently the CEO of Umhlanga tourism, and at all times he was verbally abusive and rude. I paid 700 Euros for my 7 night stay but had it not been paid upfront I would have checked out after my 1st night. I could go on about his terrible behaviour and attitude but this would take too long. He stated to me that the Guest house is his wife's business and he only helps out. To salvage anything from this Anchors rest he should stay well clear of all customers! His language is appauling at all times and he is very short tempered.

This is truely a place to avoid and hes very much put me off using guest houses ever again as I would prefer to be treated as a paying guest in an hotel !

On one good note the lady at reception was always very kind and curtious.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
9  Thank Gary A
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This has to be the best guest house we have ever stayed in. Just simply can not be faulted.
The facilities, accommodation and the warm welcome extended to us by Peter, Cilla, Sandy and the rest of their staff was superb. This is a must for anyone visiting Umhlanga Rocks and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Having read all the reviews of Anchors Rest, it is difficult to add anything to the wonderful reviews already submitted.
We have stayed with Peter , Cilla and Sandy every year since 2004 and totally agree with everything written about the B&B.
The accommodation is beautiful, the setting perfect and the inobtrusive professional service provided is second to none.
We hope to return next year

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bandwScotland
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We enjoyed our stay. Great location, close to the beach, restaurants and bars. (walkable) Our room was so large we where really able to enjoy it. Bathroom huge with bathtub and seperate shower. Beautiful heated pool. Loved the upstairs shared living area, and self serve bar. (honor system) Breakfast could not be beat. Would not stay any where else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We have visited the Anchors Rest 5 times since 2003.
Our last trip was February 2009 with my parents.
My parents have been with us on 3 other trips

We would never stay anywhere else in Durban.

The Anchors Rest:
From the minute you walk in the peace & tranquilly hits you, the green lush gardens add to the ambience. As there are only a handful of apartments you feel like you have the place to yourselves. There is an immaculate guest lounge with comfortable sofas to relax on adjoining a lovely terrace where we have spent many evenings relaxing.
The pool is always warm. The whole place is kept to a very high standard and is absolutely spotless.

Location.
It could not be better, being only a 5 minute walk to the centre of Umhlanga which boasts many great restaurants which cater for formal or informal dining meals and the best seafood and steak we have eaten anywhere on our travels. Also a couple of supermarkets which stock everything you need.
It is only a 5 minute walk from the beach which has safety flags and lifeguards. The beach is like most in SA clean and appealing for all ages.

Rooms:
Our favourite is the Yellowwood room. We like opening our door and having a view of the gardens which has the feel it’s your own as it is totally secluded. The room is spacious and as everything else in the Anchors rest tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. It has tea/coffee and a fridge, air con & fan & satellite TV.

My parents prefer the Strelitzia room as it overlooks the pool and has its own awning with sun beds & table & chairs.

The Owners:
Peter & Cilla are without doubt the best hosts we have encountered on our travels. They are friendly, very informative about the local area and have always made us feel very welcome every time we have stated there. There are always on hand if you need them.

We have stayed on a B&B basis before. The breakfasts are always cooked to order and are excellent, noting is too much trouble. There is a variety of fresh fruit, cereals & yogurts.

Sandy who takes care of the bookings is also very welcoming, friendly and is also very knowledgeable about the local area and has her own small tourist business and can arrange lots of different trips to suit your taste.

Overall
We only have high praise and regard for the Anchors rest . We normally stay in 4/5 star hotels when we travel and this sits right up there with any place we have stayed and is by far the best smaller hotel and it fully deserves its 4 star rating.
Look no further you have found the best place to stay in Umhlanga Rocks - Durban.
I am happy to answer any questions you have.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob40