“We love Breakers”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
Melbourne, Australia
“We love Breakers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I love Breakers because the resort is very clean and the location has all the convenience it can offer. I come to breakers every 2 years. From Australia. Excellent security and the staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: The bikes from level 8 was excellent.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We have been going here annually for the past 8 years and have never been disappointed. Excellent and friendly service, attentive staff, great amenities. The upgrades done since 2010 around the pool area is a definite winner as is the pool service restaurant. One of our favourite holiday spots in South Africa.

Room Tip: Try not to book during the Matric vac as it tends to get a little noisy. Also the higher floors give...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with family on a holiday to South Africa. Overall the resort was spotlessly clean and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a 2 bed apartment which was a bit disappointing as it was quite small and felt like everything had been done on the cheap side. We appreciate that this will have been done to the owners taste.
The grounds were very pretty and had a really nice pool. I would definitely stay again but would probably go for a studio flat or 1 bed as they seemed to be a lot bigger.
Wifi was available in the main lounge area of the complex, but would have liked it in our apartment.
Generally, We did have a good time here and would go back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paula B
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

The pool area is great for children. Lovely location, just a stone throw from the beach. I must say the stench on the entrance foyer of the resort was indeed not welcoming. We stayed on room 127. If the deco can be updated and the place kept clean it would be a lovely place. There were cob webs on the ceiling and on almost every hidden space. We spent three nights there and never unpacked our luggage because even the cupboards were not clean. The pool area of the resort was certainly the only highlight of our stay there.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Mpho999s
Jhb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is also a place that we have stayed at many times and earlier this year we decided to go back.
The new pools, slides and gardening that has taken place makes this place so picturesque and problem the most relaxed spot in Umhlanga.

The food was average and on Saturdays when it gets really busy, the orders can take some time to get to you. The monkeys are always a nuisance but i guess that used to be their home to before the buildings went up.

See you soon :-)

Room Tip: Just make sure you lock your windows if you leave because the monkeys will get in and make a mess
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina N
Durban
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I will never recommend this place. The GM Ian Hume is severely lacking in managerial skills and has zero interest in guest relation. My 2 week stay started with my 1st car being vandalised ( keyed / scrached) on both sides front and back (4 different areas, at different levels and in different directions). My 2nd week ended with my other car being targerted with similar damage (scrached right down to the metal in a X like shape). I was parked for 20min. Ian Hume showed no interest at all and promptly told me that "parking is at your own risk". I requested video footage and was asked to wait in reception (over 30min) while they locate or call up the time in question, but conveniently, there is none. The video is blank 30min before and 30min after the incedent.
I told Ian Hume that he had a problem with vandals in his resort parking lot and his reply was, "No! You have a problem with vandals".

A GENERAL MANAGER I think not.

He said he would get back to us the following day after he looked into the matter, I'm still waiting.

I sent Ian Hume an e-mail 3 weeks prior to check in, regarding a booking issue I had that lasted 9 months. It started like this.

Hi Mr. Hume
I would like to bring to your attention ......................... Please advise a way forward.
Regards
Brendon

I had my wedding at the conference centre in the resort (which was outstand, as it's run by external management).
I was offered a unit for 1 night. The booking had to be done through the resort (this is where the problem comes in). I tried to book in January, again in February, then again in April. I was told "its school holidays and we can't book so far in advance, please try again in July. I did and was promptly told sorry we are now fully booked. Finally I found a private unit for 3x the price in September.

Ian Hume has never responded to my mail and when asked why his reply was "I didn't have to, we were fully booked".

Again we see that guests relation is non existent.

My Family visit Umhlanga Rocks almost every year from the UK. I will make absolutely sure they never stay at the Breakers Resort again.

Customer care or guest relation from the Resort General Manager is disgustingly poor.

Ian Hume, you really need to rethink your approach to guests and their situations.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank BrendonVannan
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at Breakers resort last week and found the accommodation of a high standard and clean. The pool area must be the highlight of the resort, with a variety of pools for both children and adults. The entertainers got to know the guests and the person that really stood out for my children was Blessing, his caring charm and charisma made our days around the pool. The Poolside Bingo was the most fun for my seven year old daughter.
The landscaping is phenominal, not a bush out of place.
The only dispappointment was the Food and Beverage offering and service. The food is at best average, really fast foody and unimaginative and the service of the waitering staff was at times slow.
All in all however a great place to go with smaller children! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor for great sea views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family