“Hospitality made all the difference”

Indaba Lodge Richards Bay
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Richards Bay
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Hospitality made all the difference”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I visited Protea hotel in Richards Bay during the last week of June. The single bed room I stayed in was excellent, bright, homey and very clean. The cushions and pillows are perfect for a good night's sleep.

I lunched only once at hotel during my 5 day stay that I really enjoyed. On all other days breakfasts were wholesomely good and dinner buffet sufficient.

You can walk down to the sea if you chose to during daytime. It's a pleasant walk and is hardly 10-15 minutes from the hotel.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful. Mr.Bradley, one of the hotel staff, was very polite in conversing and made sure all my extra demands were met. On the last day of my stay, we needed a wheelchair due to a special requirement which they arranged for us within two hours. I'd say their hospitality made all the difference for me during my stay :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Avrosh K,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We have a great TEAM who prides themselves in offering the best GUEST service therefore your commendations of Bradley are pleasantly welcomed.

It was our absolute pleasure to have accommodated you and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us.

I sincerely hope that we have the privilege of Welcoming You back to our lovely hotel soon.

Kindest regards,
Cassandra Gayapursat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Greytown, South Africa
Reviewed July 30, 2014

being a lover of the PH Group I found myself sadly disappointed with my stay.

Lets start with the good : The bed and pillows where amazing! Cappuccino at breakfast was delicious and so where the muffins.

Now the sad parts : Don't opt for the ala carte menu at dinner, firstly they will think that your order is for room service and take thirty five to fourty minutes to prepare a starter (even though you are sitting in the restaurant). They did however not charge me for the starter when I queried the reason for the delay and explained how long I have been waiting.

in our room : when you flush the toilet there is a follow up of so much noise until the water reaches its fill. also no wifi connection in my room (316). my devices didn't even pick up any PH wifi connections which was odd as the rates include wifi.

breakfast : my suggestion is that you pack up early, check out and head to The Richards or The Waterfront. Breakfast spread is less than average and save for a few pieces of horrible looking fried chicken and fish, the buffet caters for beef and pork eaters. I usually request for the chef to prepare something to cater for a hindu diet and am never disappointed (all over the world), however this hotel has no contingency for people who do not indulge in beef and pork at breakfast. The scrambled eggs where awesome though and gratefully made in a clean pan.

Check out : seriously in need of someone competent at the front desk! She could not understand that my rate included the room rate, plus tourism levy and breakfast for two prepaid. So all that needed to be charged was R115 for dinner and tips. Well smartly enough she charged R150 to my card and having not had the time to wait around while she faffed around I left the excess as a tip for the breakfast staff. Be careful when checking out, make sure correct amounts have been charged and also that they are filling in the correct amount. I just hope that the "tip" went to the right staff and this is not a ploy for her own gain.

Staff are desperately in need of training. Also the menu needs a serious look over. Also some general maintenance. Also maybe the hotel should have a smoking area which would deter the guests from smoking at the entrance which just ends up settling in the lobby and lift.

Unfortunately I don't see myself returning to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear S. Gangz,

Thank you for your comments pertaining to your recent stay at Protea Hotel Richards Bay.

I am truly saddened to hear that your stay was marred with such regrettable events as the TEAM and I endeavour to meet and exceed our GUESTS expecations.
I therefore confirm that each concern has been addressed and I assure you that the correct action has been taken to ensure that these shortcomings are never repeated.
Your feedback is vitally important as it allows us to correct our mistakes and to improve on our service, so,Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity of Welcoming You Back and to prove to you that we have corrected our mistakes and that we are in fact a hotel that is worthy of recommendation.

Travelers are raving about these Richards Bay hotels

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have now stayed at all 3 Protea hotels in Richards bay and i have to say i was extremely disappointing with the Protea Hotel Richards Bay.

Dinner was not good at all, we had ONE meat to choose from at the carvery. They charged me R21 for a shot of passion fruit! which at any high end restaurant or Pub is around R4. I don't see how they justify charging that much for a Non alcoholic shot of fruit juice. that's as much as a bottle of passion fruit!'

i must say though that the rooms are very nice and very big.

I go to Richards Bay on business once every 3 months but i don't see myself staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear 239chalkyw,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Richards Bay.

My TEAM and I endeavour to meet and exceed our GUEST expectations and when we do not deliver on our promise, this is a huge concern.

Your recommendations on the carvery has been noted and we have since reconsidered the variety presented. I have investigated your concerns regarding your beverage and confirm that the charge that you have disputed is in fact for a passion fruit and lemonade and not just a shot of Passion fruit.

I sincerely hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back which would present us an opportunity to correct our mistakes and to show you that we are in fact a hotel worthy of recommending.

Kindest regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed in this hotel years back on a social visit and recently I stayed over as a stop over on a work trip. I must say it was really a pleasant stay felt like home. The staff as a collective were very helpful, pleasant and friendly. The oxtail was delicious, the rooms clean and everything was pleasant. Thanks to Dumisane, Hlengiwe, Vukani (Chef) who made the stay fun with all their entertainment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Clara,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Richards Bay.

We are delighted to receive your compliments and commendations of Dumisane, Hlengiwe and Vukani are highly valued. I will most certainly congratulate them for doing a sterling job!

We rely on GUESTS's feedback to determine the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve where possible.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again, soon.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and have always had a pleasant stay. This last experience was not very good. The staff at the front desk are extremely helpful and pleasant. I went to dinner and to my surprise there was very little to choose from. The vegetable dishes on offer was steamed green beans and butternut. There was no roast only some sort of lamb curry and a very bad attempt at a beef stir fry. At breakfast I ordered tea and to my surprise a gentleman came with a large jug and proceeded to pour the tea and the milk. How do they know how people like their tea ? I am a gold Prokard member and I am seriously considering not renewing my membership.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Mr. Rashid,

I refer to your recent stay at Protea Hotel Richards Bay.

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns through this medium.

Please allow me to express my most sincere apologies for the rather disappointing dining experience in our restaurant. As mentioned, you have frequented our hotel over the past few years and had always left being a satisfied GUEST, hence, your concerns have been dealt with in a very serious manner and I most definitely assure you that immediate remedial action has been taken with the relevant department to correct these mistakes.

Your comments are highly valued and appreciated and I would like to Thank You again for giving my TEAM the opportunity to improve on our service.

I sincerely hope to have the privilege of Welcoming YOU back and to prove to you that we are in fact a hotel worthy of re-recommending.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 28, 2013

On 2 previous stays I had to wait for more than 45 minutes for my food to arrive. This time it was better but only after I had threatened that I would not come back if it happened again. The 4th time the food arrived with 30 minutes (no threat made).

Furthermore the food was spoilt by the Chef thinkin he must add salt on my behalf. Surely the chef should not add any salt and leave this to the customer to add!

For the rest, the service was courteous and reasonably prompt. Having prompted me to post my comments here if I thought my stay was hot, I trust that the management will also read this post and take corrective action! I will only be back if this is done and I advised accordingly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently and found it to be a good base, although location could be closer to the beach if that's the main reason of your stay. We enjoyed dinner and breakfast at the restaurant.

Mark was lovely and courteous at reception and went out of his way to make us feel at home. We did order a packed lunch which unfortunately was forgotten about; however we were disappointed that nobody seemed interested in rectifying the error.

Overall nice rooms, with a personal touch from reception making all the difference.

• Stayed August 2013
PHRB01, General Manager at Indaba Lodge Richards Bay, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear 1takemesomewhere,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback and will most certainly pass on your commendations.

Please do accept my most sincere apologies regarding your lunch pack and assure you that your concerns have been addressed and rectified.

We sincerely hope to have the privilege of Welcoming you back to our lovely hotel, soon!

Regards