“Bushwalk & breakfast”

$244.70*
and up
Mini Safari Tour from Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Nearly 3,000 hectares of pristine natural plains and grasslands, this Kwazulu-Natal reserve has abundant bird species as well as big game.
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We reside in Pietermariztburg, and had friends over from overseas. Tala is a convenient nearby location, plenty of game and the possibility of some adventure in the form of a guided bush walk.
Jan was our knowledgeable and friendly guide, and managed to get us up close and personal with 4 rhino, mother and baby giraffe, lots of birds and plenty zebra.
We finished of with breakfast in the main restaurant, a beautiful building with nice views over the reserve. There is a well stocked souvenir shop.
Booking and follow-up was professional (phone call at 7 to check of we were on our way), prices quite steep (R180 for 1,5 hour bush walk, entry fees, and R150 for breakfast).

Negative remarks: bush walk started late, we waited 25 minutes before leaving. We were quite pressed for time because of plane flights from Durban, and staff knew. When we subsequently returned late for breakfast, half the breakfast was cold and all fresh items already cleared away.

Other than that: a great day's outing, easily reached, beautiful bush along the N3.

2  Thank Ray L
TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear Liesbeth,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new General Manager of Tala having recently joined. I look forward to meeting you in person on your next visit to Tala
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, constructive criticism is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted. Your concerns and comments have been raise and addressed with the concerned parties. It is with great excitement that I inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of the facilities on Tala scheduled to commence the latter part of the year. I do applogies for any misunderstanding that resulted in your inconvenience.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

One of our favourite pastimes. We love taking the kids on a game drive...you are almost guaranteed to see the giraffe every visit. If you are lucky you might see the Rhino and Hippo. Birding is great there too. A relaxing day out! They have a picnic spot if you don't feel like paying the 'above average' prices at the restaurant. Although only a few minutes out of Pietermaritzburg, it feels like you are miles away from the hustle and bustle of any cities.

Dear Nats,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, your comments are gratefully accepted. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and for that I thank you.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We recently had family from overseas and thought this would be a good sample of the African Bush as it was close by and our time was limited time. On calling to book, no-one seemed to be able to converse in English and I battled to make myself understood. After booking the restaurant for lunch, I enquired about a game drive but due to the lack of knowledge or understanding my call could not be transferred and I had to call in again. Totally unacceptable if you are catering to foreign tourists. We were a party of 12 and I was horrified at the cost of the game drive - R300.00 per person (no matter their age) and you would not even be able to view any of the big 5! It cost less for that for my grandchildren in Kruger! This I felt was a extravagant, especially for South Africans who do not have the advantage of having Dollers or Euro's on hand and especially considering there is a cost per car and then per person at the gate - as well as for your lunch meal. We decided not to go on the Game Drive and saw a variety of animals. Our American visitors loved that. From my side as I have been to Tala on numerous occassions before, I felt that the restaurant and surrounds are now looking a bit "tired" There was no toilet paper in the ladies toilets (the entire day we were there) and sitting outside the restaurant there obviously had been a blocked sewerage drain as their was an unpleasant odour every now and evidence of drains having being recently dug up. There had been no effort to close the holes properly and replace the grass - giving the area a neglected look. The meal was most enjoyable and the staff were polite and friendly. I did though have to ask 3 times for a glass of water with ice and lemon and eventually received a glass of tap water only. I would also recommend that they invest in a decent coffee machine (catering for de-caf drinkers as well) - drinking instant coffee after a lovely meal spoils your entire meal experience. Obviously they are catering for overseas visitors with the prices they are charging, so they need to up the standards and provide decent coffee options. We visited the curio shop and again found the prices exhorbitant - especially considering we had bought and priced all the stock on the beach front the day before all at a fraction of the cost in the shop. Tala is a lovely spot to take overseas visitors because of the convenience of it being so close by, but their pricing (especially for local visitors) needs to be re-adjusted. I would also suggest they develop a good maintenance programme (with the prices they charge they could afford it) I would also suggest they look at the management of the lodge, because their are a lot of areas that could be improved on, especially the training of their staff.

TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2014

Dear Cheryl
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new General Manager of Tala Private Game Reserve, having recently joined. I look forward to meeting you in person on your next visit to Tala. Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, constructive criticism is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted . Your concerns have been noted, addressed with the relevant parties and preventative measures put in place. It is with great excitement that I inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of the facilities on Tala scheduled to commence the latter part of the year. I do applogies for any misunderstanding that resulted in your inconvenience. Please feel free to contract myself directly if I could be of further assistance

Reviewed August 23, 2014

A great visit close to Durban. Saw a wide variety of buck and birds as well as rhino and hippo in only a half day visit.

Dear Gavin,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your comments
It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your day at Tala and look forward to to welcoming you back

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Very well organised and you can drive round without a guide, a big plus for us.
Has a great bird population too with some small lakes. A great day out.

Dear Dave,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your compliments
I am pleased you in enjoyed your time at Tala and look forward to to welcoming you back