“Good reserve close to Durban”

Book In Advance
More Info
$223.44*
and up
Mini Safari Tour from Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Nearly 3,000 hectares of pristine natural plains and grasslands, this Kwazulu-Natal reserve has abundant bird species as well as big game.
Reviewed August 23, 2014

A great visit close to Durban. Saw a wide variety of buck and birds as well as rhino and hippo in only a half day visit.

TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear Gavin,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your comments
It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your day at Tala and look forward to to welcoming you back

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Very well organised and you can drive round without a guide, a big plus for us.
Has a great bird population too with some small lakes. A great day out.

Dear Dave,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your compliments
I am pleased you in enjoyed your time at Tala and look forward to to welcoming you back

Reviewed August 6, 2014

The heaters in the bedrooms did not work. The fireplace also ran out of gas. The bathroom drain was blocked. Very limited menu for dinner, especially if you are vegetarian. Definitely hotel accommodation is not recommended. Day trips will be really good. The setting is beautiful.

4  Thank Pat N
TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Pat N
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Your concerns have been noted, addressed with the relevant parties and preventative measures put in place. We are currently redoing our Menus to offer a wide variety to all and it is with great excitement that I inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of all facilities on Tala Private Game Reserve scheduled to commence the latter part of the year which would include the accommodation I do applogies for any misunderstanding that resulted in your inconvenience.
Please feel free to contract myself directly if I could be of further assistance

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My son and I loved every second that we were here. It was crazy trying to look at everything and take pictures of everything. We rode in one of the trucks with a guide who kept us entertained as well as knowing where to find all of the animals.

TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Daniels
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, feedback is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted, I am pleased you had a pleasurable experience and shall pass on your compliments to the Ranger Department

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This private game reserve is a little gem that is 1 hour from King Shaka Airport. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the property and the abundance of game - unfortunately we could not track down the rhino, but thoroughly enjoyed our interaction with plenty of wildebeest giraffe, nyala, kudu, impala, warthogs, black backed jackal and a vast abundance of birds.
We stayed for one night, Leadwood Cottage #4. These units are beautiful and very private. However, don't be fooled by their website photos, unit 1 is the only one that looks onto the water, units 2 - 6 run along the river (which in winter is bone dry).
I had mixed feelings about the unit we stayed in - they really are beautiful, but they lack attention to detail with regards to maintenance. And it's not a costly affair - a massive stain running down the wall by the gas fireplace which was very difficult to lite, blocked sink drain, decking in need of repair, and no deck loungers. They could turn this from good to great with little effort.
The Leadwood Cottages are a fair distance from the restaurant and includes a reasonably steep dirt road to get there.
The restaurant was good enough, no fireworks but good tasty food.
The reserve has a really nice picnic site with swimming pool that overlooks Hippo Pools, however, I'm not certain there are any hippos in the pools.
I'd still go back so I guess that is a good indication that the pro's outweighed the con's

2  Thank Dave W
TalaGameReserve, General Manager at Tala Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Dave,
Good afternoon, I trust this finds you well
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new General Manager of Tala having recently joined. Thank you for taking the time in forwarding your email, constructive criticism is always most welcomed and gratefully accepted and a great measuring tool for our business Your concerns have been noted, addressed with measures put in place
I would like to inform you of our plans for a refurbishment and upgrade of all facilities on Tala scheduled to commence the latter part of the year