“Fantastic! !!!!!!!!!!!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton
“Fantastic! !!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Upon our arrival we were met, by a helpful man who helped us check in and even walked us to our room. I was surprised to hear that evening that he was the assistant gm. I loved the fact that some 1 who is high up on the ladder was so down to earth and friendly. In fact every staff member at the hotel were great. I can't fault them. Definitely will be back again :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Martin P

It’s an absolute pleasure to read your review and please be assured I will share this with the TEAM.

We are happy you had the opportunity to visit us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Protea Hotel Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hi,

I recently stayed at the Hilton hotel in PMB, KZN. I stayed there for a business visit. Very comfortable hotel. Will stay there again. Lovely food, friendly staff. Lovely setting. Will highly recommend to colleagues.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear entropy e

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst visiting Protea Hotel Hilton is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations.

Your compliments are therefore much appreciated and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you again soon!

Saint-Tropez, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our first visit since the renovations, we were highly satisfied and enjoyed our stay in the 'new' Hilton Hotel. It is well managed by friendly and willing staff who are prepared to go the extra mile.
J&A from St Tropez.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank leplum
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear leplum

Thank you so very much for this wonderful review.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the wonderful STAFF that work here. We do our best to provide the best GUEST service and I will compliment the TEAM on their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return to our beautiful country.

Pietermaritzburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stopped in for a meal on the night of 2 January, with guests from Johannesburg, who hadn't been to the Hilton Hotel for some years, and were impressed with the overall changes that had been made to the appearance of the building. However, the food and service in the restaurant/dining-room was severely disappointing! Two fillet steaks were edible, but unattractive - just the steak and French fries occupying the plate and a sprig of rosemary sticking out of the steak like a miniature Christmas tree. Mushroom sauce tasted like reheated packet sauce. Two orders of chicken schnitzel, came with curried vegetables, which were tasted by both parties and left aside. Schnitzel was tasteless! A pasta dish looked okay, but the waitress was 'confused' when asked for Parmesan cheese. Had no clue as to what parmesan was. Rump steak was the only meal that came and looked visually appealing. The time delay on ordering drinks and food was unacceptable, as it wasn't a busy time. We decided to give the dessert a miss and ordered coffee, which was cold. Replacement cups were brought, which were marginally better. The bill was paid during the second round of coffee. However, a third round of coffee was ordered, whilst we sat outside and chatted, and after a half hour wait, we got up and left. Not good enough for a rated Protea Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Koki50
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Koki50

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor.

Meeting and exceeding GUESTS’ expectations can only be achieved through efficient and friendly, personalised service. Your comments, together with the others we receive, have been analysed and further steps to re-train the STAFF correctly have been implemented. Your comments help us to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced. Your feedback certainly does not reflect the high standard of service that we at Protea Hotel Hilton are usually proud to offer.

We would welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best, and we look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me personally on gm@proteahilton.co.za for further queries.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for five nights to attend a family get together. I wasn't sure what to expect but was blown away when we arrived. The hotel has obviously had a serious refurbishment and it exceeded all expectations. Our room was beautifully decorated and the rest of the public areas are just gorgeous.

We had a lovely dip in the pool and spent some time on the Day Beds next to the pool. These are great as they are so comfy and you can turn them either to face the sun or away to have shade. The staff are the real asset to the hotel and they just can't do enough for you. Well done!!

I sent all our washing to housekeeping and it was all returned washed and ironed on the same day. The price is not terribly expensive and it is well worth considering if you really want to relax and not take lots of work home with you.

Well done to all the team and a big thank you from us, we will be returning.

Room Tip: We had a Superior King overlooking the pool and it was fantastic.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jules0131
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Hi Jules0131

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at Protea Hotel Hilton.

We always enjoy receiving such positive feedback and cannot express how happy we are that you loved your stay with us.

We are thrilled that you were able to do some relaxing while you were here and the pool deck is certainly the place to be.

The STAFF are thrilled to receive such motivating feedback, it has pride of place on the STAFF notice board with many happy faces, thank you very much for keeping STAFF morale up, it is truly appreciated.

We thank you once again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back to Protea Hotel Hilton again in the not too distant future.

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have had my fourth stay at Protea Hilton and Im very happy thus far. The staff are extremely obliging, from converting my twin bed to a king bed(all to myself) to promptly waking me up in the morning for work and they do it with a smile. Special thank you also for accompanying a fellow work colleague and myself to our rural clinical site to fetch her car last week. The rooms are cosy and comfortable and I love that the reception has learnt to book my room on the ground floor closest to the reception. Also, I must say, I returned home today and had my son request for his school pants to be stitched - and I did not have the same blue cotton, only black - epic fail on my part. well the Protea Hilton has a very smart idea and provides mini sewing kits, that I have packed into my work bag, and it had blue cotton. What a relief for me!! Heather, the general manager has been great in replying to and attending to all of my emails. The chef also gladly made me a specially requested dinner off the menu and it was yummy. Thank you guys!! I look forward to my stays here!! P.S. Credit must be given where its due, but bad service must also be pointed out since it is from this that people learn to give off their best and is not always a bad thing! Heres to never hoping for the latter!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Cedara and Howick have the best views, especially at sunset.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cheryl P
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hi Cheryl P

We pride ourselves on solving all problem’s timeously. We hope to welcome the same GUEST back time and time again; and look forward to their stay with us.

Thank you for this amazing feedback. I do agree that we have really special STAFF and your comment shows it’s from all departments.

We do our best to pay attention to detail, like the sewing kits in the rooms. I am so glad that it came in handy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our lovely Country hotel.

West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I wish I'd paid more attention to the 'Protea' chain of hotels when I was booking our trip. This was a fine, clean option on the outskirts of Pietermaritzburg. Huge reception are with a computer to download emergency maps and tourist information. Check-in all very helpful. Good evening meal and buffet breakfast. Very tidy and spacious room.

The 'Hilton' part is because it's on Hilton Road. I don't think Mr Hilton of Hilton hotels knows anything about the place.

According to memorabilia on the walls the place has a bit of history as a former home of one of South Africa's most famous exports - Mike Hoare.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jgm2
Dear jgm2

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

It was an absolute pleasure being able to meet with you. Thank you, once again, for such favourable feedback, I will be sure to pass it onto our entire TEAM.

It’s a pity that you did not have the opportunity to stay at more Protea Hotels throughout South Africa as they are all equally as good.

It’s our pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to seeing more of you in the near future.

Protea Hotel Hilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Road Lodge Pietermaritzburg
#3 of 61 in Pietermaritzburg
Karkloof Safari Spa
Karkloof Safari Spa
#2 of 26 in Pietermaritzburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton? Share your experiences!