“Great service from great people!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Great service from great people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have had my fourth stay at Protea Hilton and Im very happy thus far. The staff are extremely obliging, from converting my twin bed to a king bed(all to myself) to promptly waking me up in the morning for work and they do it with a smile. Special thank you also for accompanying a fellow work colleague and myself to our rural clinical site to fetch her car last week. The rooms are cosy and comfortable and I love that the reception has learnt to book my room on the ground floor closest to the reception. Also, I must say, I returned home today and had my son request for his school pants to be stitched - and I did not have the same blue cotton, only black - epic fail on my part. well the Protea Hilton has a very smart idea and provides mini sewing kits, that I have packed into my work bag, and it had blue cotton. What a relief for me!! Heather, the general manager has been great in replying to and attending to all of my emails. The chef also gladly made me a specially requested dinner off the menu and it was yummy. Thank you guys!! I look forward to my stays here!! P.S. Credit must be given where its due, but bad service must also be pointed out since it is from this that people learn to give off their best and is not always a bad thing! Heres to never hoping for the latter!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Cedara and Howick have the best views, especially at sunset.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cheryl P
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hi Cheryl P

We pride ourselves on solving all problem’s timeously. We hope to welcome the same GUEST back time and time again; and look forward to their stay with us.

Thank you for this amazing feedback. I do agree that we have really special STAFF and your comment shows it’s from all departments.

We do our best to pay attention to detail, like the sewing kits in the rooms. I am so glad that it came in handy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our lovely Country hotel.

Protea Hotel Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I wish I'd paid more attention to the 'Protea' chain of hotels when I was booking our trip. This was a fine, clean option on the outskirts of Pietermaritzburg. Huge reception are with a computer to download emergency maps and tourist information. Check-in all very helpful. Good evening meal and buffet breakfast. Very tidy and spacious room.

The 'Hilton' part is because it's on Hilton Road. I don't think Mr Hilton of Hilton hotels knows anything about the place.

According to memorabilia on the walls the place has a bit of history as a former home of one of South Africa's most famous exports - Mike Hoare.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jgm2
Dear jgm2

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

It was an absolute pleasure being able to meet with you. Thank you, once again, for such favourable feedback, I will be sure to pass it onto our entire TEAM.

It’s a pity that you did not have the opportunity to stay at more Protea Hotels throughout South Africa as they are all equally as good.

It’s our pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to seeing more of you in the near future.

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had the pleasure of a stay at the Protea Hotel Hilton. What a pleasure! The room was superbly comfortable and well appointed. The restaurant had a wide choice of well prepared food for dinner and breakfast. We watched the Curry Cup final in the bar and there were snacks provided. The staff were well trained and very friendly. Look forward to a repeat stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M
Hi Alex M

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It is because of feedback of this nature that we can further motivate our STAFF. I will give your thanks to the kitchen STAFF regarding the good food.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel.

Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

When you are away from home for long periods, living in a hotel can become quite tedious. In the middle of an 8 week stretch in Pietermaritzburg, we had cause to stay in another town for 2 nights. Never have we been so relieved to return 'home' to the Hilton. The staff greet us so warmly, we feel like friends. Heather the general manager and Anthony, her more than able assistant have been so accommodating to both our personal and business requirements. We have had access to meeting rooms when required and telephone conference facilities have been arranged at short notice. In essence, nothing has been too much trouble. I would highly recommend the hotel for either a weekend getaway or for business conferencing. The Hilton area is picturesque and we have enjoyed early morning walks through the Midlands mist and feel perfectly safe. Any complaints have been dealt with professionally and timeously. Thank you to Heather and the whole Protea team.

Room Tip: Have stayed in 3 rooms thus far and all have been more than comfortable but the new wing overlooking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Julie B

What an absolute pleasure having you back “home”. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We pride ourselves on being able to cater for both business and leisure GUESTS and without our amazing STAFF, none of this would be possible.

You are absolutely correct, this area is ideal for exercise as well as being totally safe there is plenty avenues in which you can fulfil your niche exercise.

As always, its our pleasure having you stay and we certainly look forward to seeing more of you in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

It is a lovely hotel,situated in a quiet area.Make sure that youdo not get the rooms with seperate bathroom and toilet overlooking the aircons and laundary.They are not aceeptable and have a small window with a view of the laundry.However after complaing they promptly moved us to a lovely suite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Shehnanz

Thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the ambience and character of the hotel, as well as the peaceful location.

I have taken note of your concerns about the rooms and we will look into this.

It is however extremely good to know that the STAFF were quick to address your concerns and made you feel very welcome.

Until your next visit, we wish you safe travels.

Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Still one of the better hotels I have stayed in. I had a totally different room than the first time, but this was also very good. I like the bathroom and the decor.
The dinner was very good, and foor excellent. The hotel has a nice atmosphere seeing that it is actually a old building that was renovated. They did a very good job, all feels new now, but the atmosphere stayed.
I just dont understand the new policy to pay for parking?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Lynn0416

Thank you for taking the time and giving us such great feedback. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Protea Hotel Hilton is indeed an outstanding Hotel and we are very happy that we can “show it off”. It is great when GUESTS return and have consistently good comments.

The reason that parking is charged is that we have new and improved security surveillance system, offering you heightened safety while you stay with us. We take all feedback seriously in order to ascertain how our GUESTS feel about this.

Once again, thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Hilton in the near future. Please feel free to pop for a coffee and a chat when you are next with us.

Kind regards
Johannesburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked four King Deluxe Rooms at the Protea and two couples checked in for all of us ealier as the other couples were arriving very late. Two of the rooms were deluxe rooms with a pool facing view. When we arrived at the hotel at about 10:30pm, we had rooms which were most definately not the King sized deluxe! The two rooms had a bathroom separate from the toilet, which was across the other side of the room. You walked past teh TV and bed to reach thetoilet and back again to the bathroom! The light switch for the toilet was at the opposite side, at the door. The view was terrible. The rooms overlooked the laundry, was right next to the air-conditioning units and faced the garbage! I then called Ashley at Reception at about 11.00pm to complain, I was told that there were no other rooms available and would have to call back in the morning. He agreed that the rooms were Superior and not the King Deluxe. As soon I woke in the morning I called Reception and spoke to Antony the Duty Manager. Within a few minutes he reallocated rooms for us and send us the keys. So thank you Anthony. This time we had far better rooms, with better views. The hotel is very pleasant for a shot stay in Pietermaritzburg and a very short drive to the City Centre, so very convenient

Room Tip: Do not take Rooms 419, 421, 423, 425. They have the worst views and teh separtate toilet did not wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YasminaJohannesburg
Dear YasminaJohannesburg

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay.

GUESTS’ perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced throughout your stay is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve and are usually proud to offer. It seems that the room type booked was incorrect from the time the booking was made, for this we apologise and are currently investigating this with our online booking system.

We can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel Hilton again, that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

Kind regards
Protea Hotel Hilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Road Lodge Pietermaritzburg
#1 of 2 in Nottingham Road
Karkloof Safari Spa
Karkloof Safari Spa
#2 of 25 in Pietermaritzburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton? Share your experiences!